Spyder Garage

Default 1st '13 Can-Am Spyder RTL Oil Report (for me)

Just thought I'd share the Blackstone Oil Report I got back on my (new to me) 2013 Spyder RTL. I had no past maintenance log on a used Spyder so pulled a sample and sent it off to Blackstone to see where I was at. Have no idea when the last oil change was done, but their (Blackstone's) estimate is that it will need a change around 11,000 miles based on it's current state at 9,600 miles.

Here's the attachment pdf report for anyone interested.

13 CAN-AM SPYDER-102416.pdf
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Cool. ..

Nice way to find a starting point... then every 3 to 4,600 miles...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Just thought I'd share the Blackstone Oil Report I got back on my (new to me) 2013 Spyder RTL. I had no past maintenance log on a used Spyder so pulled a sample and sent it off to Blackstone to see where I was at. Have no idea when the last oil change was done, but their (Blackstone's) estimate is that it will need a change around 11,000 miles based on it's current state at 9,600 miles.

Here's the attachment pdf report for anyone interested.

13 CAN-AM SPYDER-102416.pdf
    Congratulations on your

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Oil Report from this spring at 11,000 Miles (on a 998)

So I put another 1400 miles on that original oil and at 11,000 miles (on April 16th, 2017) pulled a sample before refilling with BRP XPS 5W-40, since I'd already purchased a BRP Oil change kit for my spring change.
    Here's the April 16, 2017 report, where they tell me to change at 3k interval.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default 4th Oil Change Report after switching to Castrol Power 1 5w-40 4T full syn

So here's the latest (26 Sep, 2017) Oil report after having switched to Castrol Power 1 5w-40 4T oil at the 14,000 mile mark(Ran XPS from 11k to 14k), this sample was taken at the 19,000 mile change (5,000 summer miles), note that with XPS I was "burning" 1QT every 3k, and now with the Castrol only every 5k. Needless to say, I am still using the Castrol and will test again before winter storage.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got about the same shearing factor on my 1330. Went to Mobil One 4T Motorcycle Oil and it has been better. I guess the transmission beats the tar out of the oil, causing a lower shearing number, reducing viscosity.

Spyder Garage

what does a report cost ?
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

DGoeble, your oil changes intervals could be at 7500 kl if your Spyder was equipped with the new bigger oil filter and casing. There should be a sticker on your oil pan ( very easy to see if it has been done.) The original interval was 5000 kl but at one point BRP came out with a bigger and better oil filter and casing. I have a 2011 and my oil changes come at 7500 kl. and not 5000. Worth checking out with your dealer. This way you save an oil change every second oil change. There was also an addendum that was to be included ( a sticker ) to be inserted in your owner's manual. Check your oil often on a 998. It uses a little bit of oil and that is normal for a 998. Good luck!

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Irvin48, They start at $28 with Blackstone Labs. I add the TBN test while determining usable mileage.

SilverFox, I'm assuming you meant 7500 km (which equals 4660 Miles). When I was using the Can-AM XPS Oil, I was changing at 3000 miles even with the bigger oil filter and the first and second Blackstone Report verified and recommended that interval. When I switched to the Castrol Power 1 Full Synthetic oil I ran the first oil for 4000 miles, and the second oil for 5000 miles. Blackstone's latest report (on the 5000 mile oil) indicated that was fine and that the oil still had usable life in it. I draw these oil samples just before changes.

That was the purpose of my process to determine if the full synthetic provided longer mileage between changes. Personally, I just wanted to drive more before having to change oil and filters, I'm certain it takes me longer to do the change than many. I'm pretty slow and intentional about the process.

For those interested in costs, the Castrol oil (from Amazon, shipped to my door) 6 qts, for $45.48 and filter kit from BajaRon cost about the same as a BRP oil change kit from my local dealer.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020