Thread: TIRE PRESSURE

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE

Hello Everyone,
    My question is tire pressure.
    It would make sense to me to follow Spyder's tire pressures located on the Spyder itself which is quite different than what the tires say. What do you guys & gals think?

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I usually keep 16 in front and 25 in the rear. Seems to be good for me so far.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

When we got the Spyder in November the dealer had the minimum pressure in all tires. The stearing felt a bit sluggish. I upped it to 17 front and 25 rear. That felt better. I now run 20 front and 30 rear. Handles a lot better on all roads. But, tire pressure is like so many things on the Spyder. It's whatever you feel comfortable with.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

The consensus the other week when I asked the question was 20# front and 30# rear.

Spyder Garage

I run 20 front, 30 back. Handles much better that way. I would be very hesitant to run below the minimum pressure printed on the sidewall, no matter what BRP recommends. It could jeapordize tire safety. The maximum pressures printed on the sidewalls are the upper limits, so they are unlikey to be needed, either, in most situations.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I ran 20 in front and 28 in rear for 6k miles. The rear is now wore down in the middle and half tread left on the outside. I dropped to 16 and 22 and the ride is much smoother. The nanny does kick in a bit sooner now but it's all about tradeoffs....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    I ran 20 in front and 28 in rear for 6k miles. The rear is now wore down in the middle and half tread left on the outside. I dropped to 16 and 22 and the ride is much smoother. The nanny does kick in a bit sooner now but it's all about tradeoffs....
    I just turned 7000 yesterday and I am not even close to the wear strips. I have read of others like you who wear uneven with this pressure. Have no idea why.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have run 20 in front and 28 in rear since the begining with my

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if rider weight or frequent carrying of a passenger enters into this. Lots of people reporting 28-30 psi rear pressure. Some have excellent tire wear, some are wearing the middle, and some the outside. We may all have to find what works best for our situation, like we do with spring settings.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I don't have an answer yet. ( If you remember I have the bad inside tire wear on the front tires.)

Called back my service dealer, and he said that if the tires were actually wearing that visibly after 5K, that there might be a problem and that it also might be a warranty covered repair.

We'll see, it was late Saturday before I dropped off the bike, closed on Monday, hopefully by Tuesday some answers.

I had checked my tire pressures and they were 16 & 23 respectively. Rear has no wear whatsoever. I inflated the front to about 20 psi before the ride over to the dealer.... I liked the "feel".

ONe more thing, it might have to do with weight, rider(s). I almost always ride with my wife..... So maybe I should be using 20 psi all the time.
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

30 rear , 19 front, had 22 in the front, steered a lot crisper, didn't plow in the turns as much, unfortunately they went out of round with 22 and i had terrible shimmy between 62 -68 mph, you could see the front fenders jumping, lowered it to 19 and it is smooth again. wearing great at 9000miles but can't wait to replace with a quality car tire. I have and like the look of the stock rims, but there not very true running if you jack it up and spin them, kind of a crappy casting, Chinese made bad, japanese made good!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captainryder View Post
    I don't have an answer yet. ( If you remember I have the bad inside tire wear on the front tires.)

Called back my service dealer, and he said that if the tires were actually wearing that visibly after 5K, that there might be a problem and that it also might be a warranty covered repair.

We'll see, it was late Saturday before I dropped off the bike, closed on Monday, hopefully by Tuesday some answers.

I had checked my tire pressures and they were 16 & 23 respectively. Rear has no wear whatsoever. I inflated the front to about 20 psi before the ride over to the dealer.... I liked the "feel".

ONe more thing, it might have to do with weight, rider(s). I almost always ride with my wife..... So maybe I should be using 20 psi all the time.
    My wife is always riding with me. I looked closer today and I have a little more wear in center of rear tire, than the edges. I figure that in time it will wear towards the edges, then more surface will be supporting the rear. The front tires show no wear to speak of. I started 20 in the front and 30 in the rear in January when I had the Ride-On put in. I like the handling a lot better with 20/30. I also installed the GIVI bags in February (more weight).
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

20 in front cold and 30 in back ..tightens it up nice ..