Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Case Oil Leak F3T

My friend just bought a '16 F3T about a week ago and he just stopped by really upset. His bike has a pretty good oil leak. I checked both drain plugs and they were tight. The leak looks like it is somewhere between the engine and transmission location.

Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Default Tricky....

You have to start with cleaning and drying the area and then fire her up and wait to see where it is actually coming from. Some 1330's had a cover bolt problem on the right side I believe. Some tight drain plugs will leak if the crush washer is damage. And some leaks come from far away and get blown all over the place. Air box, head gasket, valve cover gasket etc. I always start with a clean engine to find the source...but being that new they should take care of it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    My friend just bought a '16 F3T about a week ago and he just stopped by really upset. His bike has a pretty good oil leak. I checked both drain plugs and they were tight. The leak looks like it is somewhere between the engine and transmission location.

Any ideas?
    Didn't I see an issue with porous cases on a 2016 RT?
    Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    Didn't I see an issue with porous cases on a 2016 RT?
    Neil
    First I've ever heard of that on the Rotax. But I guess sand pits can happen in any cast block. I sure hope that is not the case. My friend traded a 86 Gold Wing that didn't leak a drop. Kinda makes everybody look bad. I explained to him that it wasn't the dealer's fault. This happened at the factory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    First I've ever heard of that on the Rotax. But I guess sand pits can happen in any cast block. I sure hope that is not the case. My friend traded a 86 Gold Wing that didn't leak a drop. Kinda makes everybody look bad. I explained to him that it wasn't the dealer's fault. This happened at the factory.

Some of the first 2014 1330 had porous case issues...My dealer had one that they need to change out the complete motor...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    This is correct, there were some 14s that had porous cases and weeped oil. More common was the 14s that had the leaking oil galley plug.

As for the idea these cases are sand cast, that is very unlikely in the modern era. While working on my 1973 OSSA MAR Trials bike, which is a lot older dating back to original Can Am motorcycles, and is pretty low tech, even the OSSA has die cast cases.
    Guess I'm showing my age. Thanks for clarifying.

Spyder Garage

Friend called today and said that they found the dipstick not locked in place. This was what was causing the leak. The guy swears that it was leaking before he checked the oil level, so time will tell. I am mad at myself for not thinking about checking the dipstick. Only thing I could think of was the drain plugs. I guess he could of left it unlocked, but it's pretty obvious how it locks in place and he removed it to check it so it would be reasonable to think that he would have locked it back in place.
    So, time will tell. Hope that's all it was.
    Big shout out to Imotorsports (site sponsor) for picking up and returning the Spyder to him. That is above and beyond as far as I'm concerned. Way above.