Spyder Garage

Default Clanking Sound Up Front

I know this topic has been discussed before, and I've read the entries and replies, but I have a couple of questions still.

2012 RT SE5...a clanking sound (up front) when I roll back the throttle. The trike runs great, and shifts smoothly and without a hiccup. But when I'm coming to a stop, I roll back the throttle, and hear a clanking sound from under the front. It only occurs when I roll back the throttle, never at any other time. I've "felt around" for anything loose under the front end, and have found nothing. I've read that this may be the front sprocket...or the bolt that connects to it. I'm taking the trike to the dealer for an oil and filter change soon. Should I ask them to look at the front sprocket, and perhaps tighten the bolt? Could it be something else that's causing the noise? The trike runs and rides perfectly!

I understand that replacing this sprocket can be an issue because of the model year (2012). I imagine it can also be expensive. If this is a serious problem, I want to get it resolved so I don't break down on the road somewhere.

Your advice, please!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLANKING

It's impossible to determine what's a Clanking sound from one person to another ..... I would definitely bring it to the attention of your dealer ( if you can't check this yourself ) .... I have an RT - SE and when I come off - throttle there is a slight sound ( more felt than heard ) I think this is normal..... But there have been cases where the front sprocket has come loose ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

If it should be the front sprocket.... the parts from cheapcycleparts.com are not that bad under a hundred. I replaced mine a while back. Now as long as the output shaft is not badly damaged changing the sprocket is an easy job. (less work than changing a tire).That being said....that noise could be other things. When at the dealer have them dig a bit deeper under the tupperware....

20150630_123305.jpg
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hopefully Only Loose

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It's impossible to determine what's a Clanking sound from one person to another ..... I would definitely bring it to the attention of your dealer ( if you can't check this yourself ) .... I have an RT - SE and when I come off - throttle there is a slight sound ( more felt than heard ) I think this is normal..... But there have been cases where the front sprocket has come loose ...... Mike
    Other than this specific noise, the trike runs great...shifts up and down no problem. I'll have the dealer's service guys take a look at the shaft, Maybe (hopefully) just some tightening will resolve it. :-)

Spyder Garage

Default Hope I Don't Need Parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If it should be the front sprocket.... the parts from cheapcycleparts.com are not that bad under a hundred. I replaced mine a while back. Now as long as the output shaft is not badly damaged changing the sprocket is an easy job. (less work than changing a tire).That being said....that noise could be other things. When at the dealer have them dig a bit deeper under the tupperware....

20150630_123305.jpg

I'm hoping that I don't need parts...either the sprocket or the shaft. I'll have the service guys check it out while changing the oil and filters. Maybe some tightening will do the trick. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Clanking Sound

Check the hemi links holding the sway bar. The bolts on mine were loose causing this type of noise.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 has a similar noise but it sounds like a plastic part sliding along metal, like a plastic part that is broken but still attached. Hear it when bike is cold and braking momentum seems to make something slide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by optimus prime View Post
    Check the hemi links holding the sway bar. The bolts on mine were loose causing this type of noise.
    A quick way to check this possibility is to just bounce a bit on one of the floorboards (or footpegs) with the bike shut off. If it makes the noise: you can track it to just one side or the other, and then make sure that the connection from the anti-swaybar to the heim liink is tight, and then the heim link to the lower a-arm is also tight.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black