Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clutch Shocker!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default WAY TOO MANY MECHANICAL PROBLEMS NOT COVERED BY BRP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    One of the riders in our club was doing his end of theseason oil change on his 2014 RT-S a couple weeks ago.
    When he went to drain out his catch pan he noticed quite abit of fragments in the old oil.
    He took a pill bottle of the contaminated oil to our local dealer and showed it to the head tech there.
    Within minutes and without even seeing the machine he had diagnosed that the foreign material was from the clutch plates.
    Long story short, he brings in his machine, they pull the engine and sure enough some of the plates had completely exploded.
    Here’s the shocker (to me & him anyway) NOT covered by warranty!
    This is a Spyder with only 20,000 kms (12,000 mi) on it.
    I might add driven by a person in his 60’s, not a leadfooted teenager…
    BRP’s position on the matter is that a clutch like brakes wear out and therefore are not covered for any length of time under warranty. I might add that in addition to his 2 year factory & 2 year extended warranty he also purchased an additional 5 year warranty all of which would not cover this failure.
    The dealer did their best to get BRP to step up to the plate,sending in photos after the first request for a warranty claim proving that the disks were not worn out but failed and broke apart to which BRP still refused the claim.
    Just wondering if anyone else out there has had or has heard of a similar problem concerning the clutches in the 1330 engines?
    After reading this forum for over eleven years, now, and reading about all the quality control issues CAN AM Spyders have had, and being "left in the lurch" by BRP, here in Montana this year, and having been a motorcycle dealer, I'm leaving. I'm trading in the Spyder for a new ATV .... a Polaris. I've ridden for years (45 so far), and have had 6 Hondas, 3 Yamahas, 2 Suzukis, and a few other marks, but haven't seen anything like this before! If BRP doesn't clean up' their act soon, they'll lose us all.
    So long, friends, and good luck.
    C. C. : =(

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    After reading this forum for over eleven years(
    Over 11 years?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He just lost track of the time...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Clutch shocker

I have some experience with Spyders pulling trailers and using the semi-automatic clutch. More than 30,000 miles of pulling a very heavy camp trailer. The results, good, 25000 mile check indicated everything was working. I know we will have to replace the clutch at some point along with brake pads, two sets during this mileage period. No problem, the costs of riding. All machines demand maint. and sometimes parts break, if the money to research the clutch metals are there and a point needs to be made, I say go for it.

The point I am trying to make is I don't care if the owner is 60 years old and drives like a old man or he is like me at 69 years old and drive like it could be my last day. The clutch, brake pads, engine oil and filters are wear items, Get over it. If ypou want to move forward I would suggest dealing with BRP in a direct, fact filled way, not on the forum. Bottom line how much are you willing to spend?

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    After reading this forum for over eleven years, now, and reading about all the quality control issues CAN AM Spyders have had, and being "left in the lurch" by BRP, here in Montana this year, and having been a motorcycle dealer, I'm leaving. I'm trading in the Spyder for a new ATV .... a Polaris. I've ridden for years (45 so far), and have had 6 Hondas, 3 Yamahas, 2 Suzukis, and a few other marks, but haven't seen anything like this before! If BRP doesn't clean up' their act soon, they'll lose us all.
    So long, friends, and good luck.
    C. C. : =(
    I'm also a former Spyder owner for the same reasons but I like a lot of the people here so I hang around. I try to help if I can. I hope BRP improves the product, I like the concept but think just a little more development and better customer service would go a long way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aracknoid View Post
    I have some experience with Spyders pulling trailers and using the semi-automatic clutch. More than 30,000 miles of pulling a very heavy camp trailer. The results, good, 25000 mile check indicated everything was working. I know we will have to replace the clutch at some point along with brake pads, two sets during this mileage period. No problem, the costs of riding. All machines demand maint. and sometimes parts break, if the money to research the clutch metals are there and a point needs to be made, I say go for it.

The point I am trying to make is I don't care if the owner is 60 years old and drives like a old man or he is like me at 69 years old and drive like it could be my last day. The clutch, brake pads, engine oil and filters are wear items, Get over it. If ypou want to move forward I would suggest dealing with BRP in a direct, fact filled way, not on the forum. Bottom line how much are you willing to spend?

Good Luck
    If you took the time to read my original post you would have read that the owner of the Spyder in question did contact BRP directly (a total of 6 times) after the dealer contacted BRP in a "fact filled way".
    The whole point of this post was not to bash, complain about the terrible treatment or anything else about BRP.
    My reason for the post was to see if this (clutch failure) was a common occurrence with the 1330 SE6 or not.
    This being the 56th post in this thread and not one person having responded that they have had a similar occurrence has really put my mind to rest...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac