Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure alarm

Brake Failure (2008 RS SM5):
    Brake Failure warning on today - Manual says low fluid or brake sensor failure. Well, it's not the former, for fluid's the first thing I checked
    Trouble is I live in rural Western Australia (Broome) and am 2,500 km from nearest dealer in Perth.
    Anyone any ideas? NB: the brakes do still appear to work, but not sure if I've lost something (e.g. ABS)?

thank you,
    John Kennedy
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Even though the fluid level looks fine it probably needs a very small amount. Just add a cap full . If you do a search on that topic you'll see a number of people who said "it looks full" and then added fluid and the warning went away. I know I was one of them.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    Even though the fluid level looks fine it probably needs a very small amount. Just add a cap full . If you do a search on that topic you'll see a number of people who said "it looks full" and then added fluid and the warning went away. I know I was one of them.
    I've done that, with both now over the Max mark on the reservoirs. However, the Brake Failure Alarm reset procedure doesn't have any effect.
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Spyder Garage

If you are on level surface & still have the P-brake, your pads & fluid are good,its more of getting the system to reset. Key off & out for 20mins. You can try to undo the battery & reset that way, but as many of us have found out the fluid sensor is quite hyper sensitive & some have even reported it stuck. Good luck

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

wonder if it is really dirty the " break sensor " ? had a Lincoln town car , big road ride , those break sensors always seemed too be going off , dirt from brake calipers , or just road dirt from the gravel roads we took ... the dealer I am sure just cleaned the sensors , did battery reset , or sensor reset charged 100.oo and off we went ! < ------ a hundred dollars ?

Spyder Garage

Since you are sure that fluid level is correct. Get the active fault code.

* With ignition switch on (or engine running) press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display.* Press and hold MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
    * If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    * If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    * If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

From your description highly likely a low pressure fault. But the fault code will point you in the direction to look.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have received a Brake Failure warning a couple of times. Mine flashed the orange screen while I was driving, but the brakes still worked fine. It can be reset by the operator without using the BUDS system. Here is a copy of a previous post I used as a guide:

A very helpful SpyderLover (Jtoro1) contacted me by pm with the procedure to reset this code without BUDS. I had seen it in an earlier post but when guided through it by John, it finally worked and the orange screen and Code are gone (for now). For anyone that has this problem, the procedure is sure worth a try.
    I am including the procedure below, with some edits based on my experience.... Thanks to all those who tried to help on this problem!

A Code C1282 can be reset by the operator - it doesn't require BUDS. Here's the procedure:

LPS
    fault c1282 reset

1 turn Ignition switch off. Remove the key from the bike and take a walk...
    2 wait at least 30 seconds
    3 turn Ignition switch on
    4 Immediately, firmly press and hold the
    brake pedal until you hear a click from the LPS switch, the 1st click will come from the brakelight switch. Continue to strongly press to hear a 2nd click. This one will come from the low pressure switch (you need to press VERY HARD)
    5 Turn Ignition switch off, and recheck the Code.

Note, I never heard either of the clicks but found if you keep Very Firm pressure on the
    brake pedal for 30-50 sec, it works.

Result was...
    the Code and orange screen disappeared!
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I have received a Brake Failure warning a couple of times. Mine flashed the orange screen while I was driving, but the brakes still worked fine. It can be reset by the operator without using the BUDS system. Here is a copy of a previous post I used as a guide:

A very helpful SpyderLover (Jtoro1) contacted me by pm with the procedure to reset this code without BUDS. I had seen it in an earlier post but when guided through it by John, it finally worked and the orange screen and Code are gone (for now). For anyone that has this problem, the procedure is sure worth a try.
    I am including the procedure below, with some edits based on my experience.... Thanks to all those who tried to help on this problem!

A Code C1282 can be reset by the operator - it doesn't require BUDS. Here's the procedure:

LPS
    fault c1282 reset

1 turn Ignition switch off. Remove the key from the bike and take a walk...
    2 wait at least 30 seconds
    3 turn Ignition switch on
    4 Immediately, firmly press and hold the
    brake pedal until you hear a click from the LPS switch, the 1st click will come from the brakelight switch. Continue to strongly press to hear a 2nd click. This one will come from the low pressure switch (you need to press VERY HARD)
    5 Turn Ignition switch off, and recheck the Code.

Note, I never heard either of the clicks but found if you keep Very Firm pressure on the
    brake pedal for 30-50 sec, it works.

Result was...
    the Code and orange screen disappeared!
    That is the correct procedure to reset a LPS (Low Pressure Switch) fault. Except for remove the key and take a walk was somehow added and not needed.
    This fault is a warning of a possible brake fluid leak. So just resetting and thinking everything is fine is not a good idea. The brake system needs to be inspected for leaks when this fault occurs.
    This fault can also happen if the brake fluid become old or contaminated. That is why it is recommended the the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FLUID AGE

I think Billy is pointing to a possibility ..... the Spyder is a 2008, how old is the fluid ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

The brake failure comes on for a series of reasons...Low fluid is the first thing to check, then there is the brake fluid level sensors, the brake light switch, brake light bulbs and other things to check are the brake pad wear, fueses and make sure you did not ryde with your foot on the pedal or park brake dragging. Checking for codes will help if they have not already been stored so do the checking when the warning is on and ignition is on....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've just confirmed that my Spyder is indicating Fault Code 1282.
    Both Brake Fluid reservoirs are full, and the floats are moving freely.

However, the procedure given in this thread to reset the Brake Failure alarm does not seem to work for me

I do have a new pair of rear pads, so might slip those in just in case.

John Kennedy
    Last edited by jrk36; 10-28-2016 at 08:16 PM.
    2016 F3-S , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Tyranny of distance - my closest Can Am dealers are 2,00km in Darwin or 2,300km in Perth!

WA.jpg

John Kennedy
    2016 F3-S , Yellow