Spyder Garage

Default Seat Backrest for RT-S Special Edition

Is the only difference in the Special Edition seat the colored stitching? Reason I asked is my dealer installed a BRP drivers backrest on mine (2015) and it seems like it is stretching the top simulated leather back towards the rider... quite a bit.. almost like the holes for the backrest are too far back based on the mounting part that goes under the seat. I took it out to investigate and now having problems getting it back in... are all the factory backrests like this or is this seat actually a bit different than the standard seat. It is the factory standard black one with red stitching.... no heat.
    It is also the non-adjustable backrest ... any ideas on that little $79 upgrade to make that adjustable?

Thanks!
    Stafford

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are two different part numbers for the backrest. One fits the standard seat and one fits the comfort seat. Then there are the different colors within each type. Sounds like you may have the wrong one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

That's what I was thinking. Does the special edition have the comfort seat? It feels different than the others but I am totally new to spyder. First purchase 1 mo ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Wrote to BRP and they referred me back to 'my dealer'. Well 'my dealer' is the one that installed the backrest in question... anyone got a definitive answer on the seat on a special edition? Different than a standard? Take a different backrest than the standard?
    Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer has simply installed the wrong backrest...
    Take it back, and show it to them.
    They have probably installed a backrest for a comfort seat onto yours by mistake.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-29-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Seat Backrest for RT-S Special Edition

Thanks!!
    Now that u say that the comfort seat has extra room for the driver which makes sense that the backrest posts would sit way too far back stretching out the seat fabric toward the back of the seat. I figure if it's not fixed it will eventually tear the seat cushion which would not b a warranty thing

Last edited by RedRTS; 10-28-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

One more post.. here are s couple of pics of the rest. See how the seat is pulled back? Some of you with factory seats please chime in. Does yours look like this?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT-S. I had a seat like yours, then bought a comfort seat. I needed the extra room. What you have there is not correct, neither seat stretched or puckered with the backrest. Good luck, I hope this info helped.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodyaa View Post
    I have a 2015 RT-S. I had a seat like yours, then bought a comfort seat. I needed the extra room. What you have there is not correct, neither seat stretched or puckered with the backrest. Good luck, I hope this info helped.

Thanks. I'm headed to the dealer tomorrow. Don't want to stretch out the seat any more.
    I'm new to spyders so didn't know. Bought this new a month ago. Dealer had old stock that was new.

Spyder Garage

Dealer says they're swapping it out. I pulled the original out do not to stretch out the 'fake' leather any more...

Thanks to all that answered me on this!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that they're "making it right" for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm glad to hear that they're "making it right" for you!
    Dealer says my backrest should be in this week .... hope it's right...... thanks Bob

Spyder Garage

If this dealer does make it right for you it may deserve a shout out on the Spyder Dealer Reports on Facebook. IF it all turns out good. We all want a fair and reliable dealer.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Okay All..... yesterday I got the new backrest and bracket. YES the bracket is different for the production seat (duh).

The backrest new fits against my lower back and provides awesome lumbar support. I doubt any other backrest would do that.

ALSO I had the dealer order the New Improved Adjustable version. It says it fits any 2014 and later production seat (they have a different part number for comfort seat). WOW!!!! The adjustment is nothing short of spectacular! Those that have said in other posts that the adjustable is not retro fit to earlier bikes are Wrong. The pull in my seat is gone. It fits like a glove. And my back feels like it should. Yesterday rode 300 miles of curvy roads in 74 degree weather. Love SE Texas! Headed out again today to really see how the backrest feels.

Dealer covered all costs except return freight. I'm happy. Mancuso Powersports South in LaMarque Texas. Thanks to everyone that helped with this issue. !!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Part #'s or help?

Quote Originally Posted by RedRTS View Post
    Okay All..... yesterday I got the new backrest and bracket. YES the bracket is different for the production seat (duh).

The backrest new fits against my lower back and provides awesome lumbar support. I doubt any other backrest would do that.

ALSO I had the dealer order the New Improved Adjustable version. It says it fits any 2014 and later production seat (they have a different part number for comfort seat). WOW!!!! The adjustment is nothing short of spectacular! Those that have said in other posts that the adjustable is not retro fit to earlier bikes are Wrong. The pull in my seat is gone. It fits like a glove. And my back feels like it should. Yesterday rode 300 miles of curvy roads in 74 degree weather. Love SE Texas! Headed out again today to really see how the backrest feels.

Dealer covered all costs except return freight. I'm happy. Mancuso Powersports South in LaMarque Texas. Thanks to everyone that helped with this issue. !!!!!
    I will be picking up the same Spyder RT-S Special Edition next week

Can you tell me the part number you ordered so I make sure I am getting the adjustable version? Does it fold flat for the passenger to get on easily? Does it have the matching thread piping as the seat? Does it just "pop in" or do you have to have the dealer mount it?

Thanks for your help!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by airtire View Post
    I will be picking up the same Spyder RT-S Special Edition next week

Can you tell me the part number you ordered so I make sure I am getting the adjustable version? Does it fold flat for the passenger to get on easily? Does it have the matching thread piping as the seat? Does it just "pop in" or do you have to have the dealer mount it?

Thanks for your help!
    Part number is 219400679.

Pic is a bit dark but it matches the factory seat great. Stitching is black but doesn't show dials good. Yes it folds very flat for access and adjustment. There is a metal mount that comes with the seat. Four screws. You can easily put it on yourself. It does pop in and out but has a 'safety' latch under the seat so someone cannot just pull it out and make off with it.

On a side note... if you're getting the same RT-S special you will LOVE it! I only have 1500 miles on mine but want to ride all the time. As stated the lower lumbar support of this seat and adjustment is awesome!