Spyder Garage

Default After 1000+ mile tour on our new 2015 RT SE Good Wife said…

“no more two up touring for me.” To which I said, “So now what?” And the answer was, “Trade it, sell it, whatever you’d like to do.” So… I went to my nearby friendly Spyder dealer and traded it about even for a new leftover 2015 RS-S.
    On the one hand, less Spyder; on the other hand, to me its been a sweet case of “less is more.” I’m an old motorcyclist with two bikes in the stable, loved and used often. Been riding for 50 years and love the more motorcycle-like engine and feel of the RS-S. I’m not one for radios and gadgets on bikes and I feel the same with Spyders. Personal preference for sure, but that’s me and I’m loving this RS-S. I put the sport touring windscreen on it, Grab On grip covers, and sometime in later November will add the RS comfort seat and a Two Brothers slip-on muffler. Happy Spyder guy.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm in your corner.....

Sorry the wife has given up but glad you can get back to the basics.. Have an RS with many mods in the handling and performance areas and would not change it for any other...enjoy it and cut loose any chance you get...I do luckily my wife loves it too so many shorter rydes she rydes with me and complains about the nanny interruptions on the twisties....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My situation is just the opposite; since I bought the Spyder, my wife is already asking where are we ryding to for vacation next year.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

& on finding the right Spyder for you!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Two up riding got to be to much for me. My back/hip issues and to much coziness with a passenger behind me, used to make two up riding a pain issue for me. I solved the issue by getting her a . We have been a two family since 2012.

Glad to hear you found a solution that works for you. The RS-S is a nice machine and there are many that like it a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Great subject

I am on the fence right now. My wife had been on short rides around town. Recently she joined me on the St.George rally, which was a long ride for someone who is scared to death of motorcycles in general. She did great except for sore butt and ringing ears. When we returned I decided I either need to move to an RT or make some comfort/sound alterations on my RS S. While I like the passenger comfort and 1330 of the RT's, I'm concerned about missing the "hair on fire" attitude of the RS S. It's kind of like the Cadillac and Corvette... both are GREAT vehicles FOR WHAT THEY DO. I guess the new F-3 Limited is meant to bridge that gap, but it's currently outside the budget. REVTOM, I might have a lightly used comfort seat available soon (if it fits 2015)
    ... or a VERY highly modded RS S!

Spyder Garage

My wife has a '12 RT; I have a '13 RS-S with detachable bags. It's amazing how different the two of them are, even though they share the same basic dimensions and drivetrain, and how clearly each of us prefer the one we ride. I've been riding since I was 17 (I'm 53 now) and I've never been comfortable with a windscreen in front of my face; that uninterrupted 360° panorama around me is just too integral a part of the motorcycle experience for me. My wife has bad knees (too much basketball in her younger years) and can't handle the RS-S's riding position.

Maybe your wife just needs a Spyder of her own?
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 10-27-2016 at 03:53 PM.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by revtom View Post
    “no more two up touring for me.” To which I said, “So now what?” And the answer was, “Trade it, sell it, whatever you’d like to do.” So… I went to my nearby friendly Spyder dealer and traded it about even for a new leftover 2015 RS-S.
    On the one hand, less Spyder; on the other hand, to me its been a sweet case of “less is more.” I’m an old motorcyclist with two bikes in the stable, loved and used often. Been riding for 50 years and love the more motorcycle-like engine and feel of the RS-S. I’m not one for radios and gadgets on bikes and I feel the same with Spyders. Personal preference for sure, but that’s me and I’m loving this RS-S. I put the sport touring windscreen on it, Grab On grip covers, and sometime in later November will add the RS comfort seat and a Two Brothers slip-on muffler. Happy Spyder guy.
    I think you made a good choice. If your wife doesn't like riding nothing you buy with her in mind will likely change that so get what you want and have fun. Always invite her along and be sure to tell her how much you missed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Am View Post
    I am on the fence right now. My wife had been on short rides around town. Recently she joined me on the St.George rally, which was a long ride for someone who is scared to death of motorcycles in general. She did great except for sore butt and ringing ears. When we returned I decided I either need to move to an RT or make some comfort/sound alterations on my RS S. While I like the passenger comfort and 1330 of the RT's, I'm concerned about missing the "hair on fire" attitude of the RS S. It's kind of like the Cadillac and Corvette... both are GREAT vehicles FOR WHAT THEY DO. I guess the new F-3 Limited is meant to bridge that gap, but it's currently outside the budget. REVTOM, I might have a lightly used comfort seat available soon (if it fits 2015)
    ... or a VERY highly modded RS S!
    Dan, like we talked about I think you should keep the RS but invest in a better seat and maybe some high quality ear plugs for the wife. I don't see the two of you taking a lot of long trips that would make the RT worthwhile for you and you have such a cool RS that you need to hang on to it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think you made a good choice. If your wife doesn't like riding nothing you buy with her in mind will likely change that so get what you want and have fun. Always invite her along and be sure to tell her how much you missed her.

Dan, like we talked about I think you should keep the RS but invest in a better seat and maybe some high quality ear plugs for the wife. I don't see the two of you taking a lot of long trips that would make the RT worthwhile for you and you have such a cool RS that you need to hang on to it.
    Ann! I cannot argue your points! It's always a guessing game regarding what you will want/need in the future.I am very proud of my spyder build and don't really want to part with it.But I will do whatever it takes to have my wife travel with me.I'm going to proceed to build comfort into the RSS but will put a "feeler" out to see what it might bring on the market.If the right RT/F3 deal comes along,I might pull the trigger.Always appreciate your help and comments!
    Dan