Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Solus -- Initial impressions

Last week I installed a pair of Kumho Solus KH16s on my 2014 Rt-S (155/60R15) after 14,600 miles on the original Kendas. Holey moley, what a difference!!!

Over the last several months, when I glanced down at my front tires, the left one was a solid spinning disk as you would expect, but the right one had a kind of feathery edge, as if it were fluttering. Sign of a tire going out-of-round. Oddly enough, no sign of irregular tread wear. There was some vibration that I attributed to a firm suspension, as the bike felt like this since I got it (yes, the bike has been laser-aligned). I ran the tire pressure at 20 psi per the manual. About two weeks ago on the interstate, I had to turn the wick up to get around a convoy of semi's; at 80 mph, I glanced down and both tires were dancing merrily. That did it.

I had to go through a third party to get the tires installed (a story best told over some beers).

The change was immediately noticeable. No vibration in the handlebars and floorboards. A definite sense that the bike is planted, especially when going through the wake of a semi. I shoulda done this last year, when I changed out the worn rear for a General Altimax. (FTW, I now have the air pressure at 18psi in front, 26 in the rear.)

My advice: dump the Kendas as soon as you can, it's not worth waiting for them to wear out. I know some folks here are happy with the stock tires, but the change in handling is noticeably better.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the post and information. I too have a 2014 RT-S with around 16K. Really want to change Kendas as they are, I believe out of round. Going with the same tires you put on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When "Baby needs a new pair of shoes": these are what she'll be wearing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black