Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine is in the mail!
    What I am hoping is that we can lower the tension to what BRP has suggested WITHOUT the vibration. That would be the best of both worlds!
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 10-29-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Installed the Idler Pulley today and took her up to 90mph with no vibs. Since I had one side off, I went agead and removed both sides and installed the Lamonster LED Fog lights too. Now we are all LED and smooth

Spyder Garage

Test rode my F3-S up to 104 (F4 windshield and Baker Air Wings) and there was no significant vibration during the acceleration period. Earlier I had reported that my trike vibrated from 68-72 but actually, it was vibey from 64-67. On smooth country roads this morning, it seemed by my seat of the pants vibe meter that the vibrations on acceleration and/or steady speeds had diminished by at least 90-95% with the simple install of the Idler Pulley Kit. There was no significant increase in vibes that are normally felt going up hills.

The only vibes I was feeling were when I slightly decelerated and did not know if the vibes were coming from engine compression braking or that the belt is just a tad vibey during deceleration? I can honestly say that it is the best $50 I have spent on the trike to date. I hope that BRP equips every single new F3 with this part. It will definitely help with any vibration complaints that customers have been experiencing.

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration is History!

Got mine installed on Friday and it COMPLETELY eliminated the problem...at any combination of gears/speed/rpms.

Small price to pay for the "fix" but I still think it should have been a "recall" (e.g., free) from BRP.

Oh well, on to the next obsession.
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slagiatt View Post
    Got mine installed on Friday and it COMPLETELY eliminated the problem...at any combination of gears/speed/rpms.

Small price to pay for the "fix" but I still think it should have been a "recall" (e.g., free) from BRP.

Oh well, on to the next obsession.
    Slagiatt, When you mention that the idler arm "completely" eliminated the problem, I wonder what the road conditions have to do with the effectiveness of the idler roller? My 70 mile test ride revealed an almost 90-95% reduction in the felt vibrations in the area where my F3-S was vibrating which was in the 64-67 mph range based on my belt tension. My "test road" included gently undulating small hills where I noticed that the Spyder with the new idler pulley did not exhibit any vibrations when going up a hill. On the relatively flat terrain, it seemed on my bike like there was some slight vibration but it was nothing like the pre-install experience. What I had mentioned in my previous post is that on deceleration, there seemed to be some vibration transmitted through the handlebars with only 1-3 miles decrease in speed. I am wondering because the idler pulley is only installed on the top side of the drive belt that when decelerating, the belt has a mild tendency to introduce some vibrations? I mentioned this in my initial impression post and hope that others will be on the lookout for this phenomenon and report back on their findings. I am guessing that when decelerating, the slack in the drive belt changes and the one sided idler pulley may not be able to completely tame the very minor vibes I was feeling? In any case, I am a strong believer in the fix and very much think it is the best $50 I have spent on the trike to date. Bob

Spyder Garage

Any videos on removing the left side panel?

Spyder Garage

Default The internet is your friend (sometimes)

Quote Originally Posted by dvmdf View Post
    The internet is your friend......search for YouTube F3 Panel Removal and select one for your particular model.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bloody Hogs !

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Awesome! Glad they are finally getting here!!
    Will you bloody Americans stop hogging all the kits and let some get out to the rest of the world.......especially Australia . .....in return, we will let you keep all news updates of Hillary's FBI investigation and Donald's "inappropriate" comments
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default works as advertised

Ordered mine at the end of September from my dealer and it arrived last week. The service management was skeptical it would work, but I ordered it anyway. It knocked the vibration down by 90 to 95% and was easy to install with the help of Lamonster's video. Made a twisty run this weekend for a couple of hours and did feel a difference in that the unit is even more pleasant to ride due to the new smoothness. I figure even if the unit only lasts for 10,0000 miles the reduction of vibration on components and smoother ride make it worth buying one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Agree with the 90-90%. Did a run down I 95 and could feel a very slight vibration around the 65MPH point but had to look for it to notice it. Great improvement. Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default f3-s idler video

looks easy

Spyder Garage

Default idler video

Quote Originally Posted by dvmdf View Post
    posted video

Spyder Garage

Red face Idler Pulley Kit

Installed mine. Great improvement. Vibration gone.
    3Wheel Bob

2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Oops Damnit

Under the heading, DAMNIT, while you are involved with this installation, DO NOT place your socket ratchet on the frame indicated by arrow #1 because it will slide down the frame hole indicated by arrow #2. It will double your installation time fishing the damn ratchet out of the damn hole with a magnet.

As a side note, I was sitting on a short stool as I unscrewed the bolts and never saw the damn hole, until I put the ratchet down and it slid down the damn hole......

Oops.jpg

Thanks to Lamonster Garage for the slide I borrowed from his excellent installation video showing the damn hole in the frame.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ca8920; 03-11-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default idler kit

Quote Originally Posted by bboley View Post
    Hello All,

I received my F3 Idler Pulley Kit (Part #219800412) today and got installed in 30 minutes. I took it for a test ride and got up to 105 mph before I had to slow down for a tee in the road, no vibration anywhere from 0 - 105. All is well
    Hi, I would be immensly grateful if someone could help me with this idler-relevant question: I have no problems per se with any vibration, but
    that aweful howling noise from the belt drives me nuts. It alway appears around 65 kmh, and again at about 125kmh.No, it is not rpm dependent,
    and I have experimented with various Newton settings for the belt tension. it does not go away, just shifts to another speed. So, BRP has a kit which applies pressure to the upper , forward running part of the belt, while smoothspyder*s applies pressure from underneath, which in my vie would make more sense, since this part of the belt is not under load, therefore more prone to whip. WHO HAS WHICH EXPIERIENCE WITH W
    hICH TENSIONER?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

frankfurt, germany

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hsteil View Post
    Hi, I would be immensly grateful if someone could help me with this idler-relevant question: I have no problems per se with any vibration, but
    that aweful howling noise from the belt drives me nuts. It alway appears around 65 kmh, and again at about 125kmh.No, it is not rpm dependent,
    and I have experimented with various Newton settings for the belt tension. it does not go away, just shifts to another speed. So, BRP has a kit which applies pressure to the upper , forward running part of the belt, while smoothspyder*s applies pressure from underneath, which in my vie would make more sense, since this part of the belt is not under load, therefore more prone to whip. WHO HAS WHICH EXPIERIENCE WITH W
    hICH TENSIONER?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

frankfurt, germany
    Year and model, please?

Spyder Garage

Default idler

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Year and model, please?
    F3S,2016

regards,Peter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hsteil View Post
    F3S,2016

regards,Peter
    I have an '17 F3S and before or after putting the damper on I had no howling. Might want to let the dealer look at it. That does not sound right.

Spyder Garage

If your F3 is howling, its something other than belt vibration. You need to get to the bottom of it because its NOT normal.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Idler Wheel Kit

Got a chance to put some freeway miles on my trike after installing the Idler Wheel Kit, the performance was stellar and it feels smoother at all speeds can't be happier, a big plus.