Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone have/had a Bushtec trailer?

I'm in the process of buying a used Bushtec trailer. They have a weird tongue/hitch system. We've got the old ball off my hitch and their hitch pin cam today. I also bought a replacement wiring harness to replace the BRP one. They call it "electric relay isolator w/universal subharness" and it says "will fit any motorcycle." They know it's going on a Spyder and I sent a pic of my hitch.

Has as anyone installed their harness? How did it go? Any tips?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUSHTEC HITCH

Patti, imho the Bushtec hitch is the best design for a lightweight trailer ever made ......seriously. This hitch eliminates all the push/pull and slop in the conventional " ball and coupler " type...... The banging you hear with the B & C type is also going thru the drivetrain of the Spyder ...... which was never designed for it .... You can re-move your Ball from the tongue and put the Bushtec END on ...... Trust me you will be Happy you did....... Someone who knows more about the wiring will help you with that !!!! .............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-25-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Patti, imho the Bushtec hitch is the best design for a lightweight trailer ever made ......seriously. This hitch eliminates all the push/pull and slop in the conventional " ball and coupler " type...... The banging you hear with the B & C type is also going thru the drivetrain of the Spyder ...... which was never designed for it .... You can re-move your Ball from the tongue and put the Bushtec END on ...... Trust me you will be Happy you did....... Someone who knows more about the wiring will help you with that !!!! .............Mike
    I had it on good authority that it's a good trailer. I'm going to see Harvey next week for other service and plan for him to install the harness. I'm just hoping the 'any motorcycle' bit from Bushtec is true.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I'm on my third Bushtec and think they are the best out there. That being said make sure to check out the wheel bearings as they are a sealed type and when they go it happens pretty fast. I used an aftermarket relay set up that is the same as bushtec's and it was just plug and play with the plastics taking the most time. The way the hitch mounts to the rear wheel on the spyder transmits a lot of motion into the trailer so keep an eye on all the tongue bolts and if you have the cooler package don't put glass in it because on a rough road the bottles will break.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUSHTEC

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I had it on good authority that it's a good trailer. I'm going to see Harvey next week for other service and plan for him to install the harness. I'm just hoping the 'any motorcycle' bit from Bushtec is true.
    Harvey will get you fixed up ...... and as long as the trailer doesn't weigh over 400 lbs .... TOTAL weight , you are good to go ......remember you won't be able to add anything to the trailer over the 400 lbs. ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

IMO you can pull more than 400 pounds, but the results are that when you try to stop it takes longer and if you happen to be in a turn you could find yourself in the ditch/other lane/deep poop, so weigh your stuff, it adds up quickly.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti, Joe installed the Bushtec harness on Wenda's RS before we left for TX. It was pretty straightforward. Like the others have said, Bushtec makes a great trailer.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I love my Bushtec trailer, I used a wiring harness like Bushtecs and it worked great.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Default Do I need another harness?

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Patti, Joe installed the Bushtec harness on Wenda's RS before we left for TX. It was pretty straightforward. Like the others have said, Bushtec makes a great trailer.
    I purchased a used Bushtec trailer and have the BRP hitch with 4 pin square coming from bike, but the trailer has a flat 6 pin. Do I need to change the New harness for something else?
    2016 RTL , Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird1 View Post
    I purchased a used Bushtec trailer and have the BRP hitch with 4 pin square coming from bike, but the trailer has a flat 6 pin. Do I need to change the New harness for something else?
    I bought a wiring harness from Bushtec and Harvey (SpyderPops) installed it for me.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I bought a wiring harness from Bushtec and Harvey (SpyderPops) installed it for me.
    So the harness already on the bike is useless?
    2016 RTL , Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird1 View Post
    So the harness already on the bike is useless?
    If you know how and want to take the time and trouble to figure out how to adapt it, it may work. I don't know.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Do you need to change hitch and wiring pin?

Looking at trailers -- but already have the CanAm installed hitch and wiring pin --- should I decide on a bushtec trailer, am I going to have to change out anything?

2017 F3 Limited ... and loving it!

Life just keeps getting better on a SPYDER!