Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New 2013 (to us) ST-S and a couple questions.

So, we picked up a new to us 2013 ST-S SE5. It runs great, and look great, as it should having only 1600 miles on it now, after a 195 mile ride from picking it up.

It has a few items on it like the comfort seat, the top case (Givi/Can AM) and passenger backrest, iPhone mount, Frunk liner and LED lights on the wheels.

Questions:

The shifter paddle seems to resist going into reverse and Neutral. It shifts normally 1-5, but getting it into Neutral and reverse is a chore. Seems like the switch contacts are dirty. Are they cleanable with disassembly?

The lights are these, I think: https://www.gloryder.com/wheel-lights-remote-control-spyder.php
    Wheel caps $265
    They do not seem to work, does anyone have more info on them than the web site does?

The GIVI trunk key doesn't work well. It hangs up and fights me opening it. Normal?

Did the 2013 come with FOX shocks, or are they add-ons?

Is anyone familiar with this iPhone mount, and if so, can I get a basic X-mount to mount any phone on it?

Is there a preferred place to put a USB waterproof plug on the dash area of the ST?

Lastly, what is a decent set of Aux lights that wont break the bank?

Thanks, this forum has a lot of passionate and knowledgeable members on it. Nice!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Shifting to neutral from 1st. If you hold the floppy paddle. It thinks you are trying to do a double shift and waits for you to press the reverse button. So it does nothing at all. A quick press and release will shift to neutral from first.

A shot of WD40 should fix the lock on the GIVI bag.

Any RAM phone holder including the X-mount will fit on that mount base.

I put a round usb plug in the speaker grill. Later installed another rectangular one in one of the empty switch spots.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Jim, If in 1st gear and you want Neutral, foot on brake, lightly tap the (-) tab and it should shift to neutral. For reverse, foot on brake thumb on the R button and lightly tap the (-) tab and with a resounding clunk, you have reverse. Billy's tip on the lock should do the trick. I left a couple of tips on your other thread after your post of the ride home.
    Any questions just holler, lots of folks on here willing to help!!!! Here is one you may or have encountered, if you put it in gear and you hear a high pitched beep, you left the parking brake on. Just tap the button to turn it off, the parking brake button.
    Have fun and ride safe!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

The batteries might need to be changed on the gloryders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Jim, If in 1st gear and you want Neutral, foot on brake, lightly tap the (-) tab and it should shift to neutral. For reverse, foot on brake thumb on the R button and lightly tap the (-) tab and with a resounding clunk, you have reverse. Billy's tip on the lock should do the trick. I left a couple of tips on your other thread after your post of the ride home.
    Any questions just holler, lots of folks on here willing to help!!!! Here is one you may or have encountered, if you put it in gear and you hear a high pitched beep, you left the parking brake on. Just tap the button to turn it off, the parking brake button.
    Have fun and ride safe!!!!
    I find that if you can avoid putting your foot on the brake. It shifts faster and smoother with less of a clunk. Doing a double shift from reverse to 1st is fast and almost silent if you're still rolling.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, I will try those today, the shifting may well be technique. I did the WD40 on the top case and it opened, but still fights me.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    The batteries might need to be changed on the gloryders.
    Thanks Derk, how do these turn on? Are they light sensored, assuming the batteries are good?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up STS 2013

Welcome to the club. The STS is a fine ride. Looks like you have the 2014 side panels for heat control. a necessary upgrade.
    The 2013 STS has stock shocks with no adjustments. Its woefully under sprung.
    The Fox shocks are adjustable as an aftermarket upgrade or from a 2014 STS. They are a very nice addition.
    Check the swaybar diameter. It may be upgades as part of the shock pacakge. If not consider a BajaRon sway bar to help the roll and dive in corners.
    The GPS mount looks like its from Leader. They are a sponsor on this site. Optional holders are available.
    I replaced one of the unused switch sites with a USB unit available on Amazon.
    Sorry I can't help with the Shifting. My Spyder is an SM5.
    PM me if you need pictures.

Spyder Garage

going too have a blast on this machine ! { I have noticed when I turn mine off , it makes a real high pitched noise , I think it might be computer working down not sure , in case this is something you hear as you , polish , look it over , sit on it while it is raining out side }

Spyder Garage

I can help with two.

Shifting: Make sure you continuously hold down the R button while giving the paddle shifter a good pull or push. I always use foot on the brake.

GloRiders: Probably batteries. There are three. One up front and two on the back side of the circuit board. All can be accessed by removing the front screws from the cap, going inside and removing the two screws from the circuit board. There is also a lever that allows for all the time operation, off, or dark only. Make sure the led's to turn on the dark only are visable to the outside. It involves correct placement of the outer cover. The unit can be installed and removed without removing the wheel. The set screws are seen once you remove the circuit board.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use my right hand to press the R button and my left to press the '-' (downshift) paddle. I can't get enough leverage using just my left hand. This technique may be easier for your wife.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The shifting advice was spot on. I believe I was confusing the computer by holding the paddle to long when shifting into neutral and reverse. It workes perfectly when done right.

Also, I do have Fox shocks, Podium Racing Adjustable shocks.

Based on the web site description, they came in a kit with the sway bar upgrade. No idea how good they are.

http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/...with_Sway_Bar#
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

& congrats.

Spyder Garage

I had those on a 08 GS and they're cool! i believe the batteries are the malfunction culprits!
    Welcome to the v twin 998 club! if you haven't yet, check for recalls on that bike!

Spyder Garage

OK, so a little practice and the shifter is working like it should. Patience is the key when shifting to reverse, neutral and first.

A couple more questions:

• What is the excess capacity of the charging system? I have ordered heated grips, and use heated gloves and jacket. I would also like to add some aux lights, LED and additional LED tail lighting. Winter night riding is very dark.
    • Is it possible to retrofit the electronically controlled windscreen, is there a kit, and is it stupidly expensive?
    • Lastly, for now, is it possible to rotate the left switch pod down a little? It is about half inch different than my BMW and I can't seem to find the signals and horn withut looking.

Thanks, having fun with the bike.

Oh, and I ordered a set of panniers for it, not GIVI, so we shall see how they work.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Magneto output is rated 650 watts @ 2,000 rpm, 850 max. Likely about 500 @ idle. It needs a little over 200 watts for the basics. You are left with a little less than 300 watts to play with without causing the light to dim at idle. That's lots for what you're talking about.

I don't see any way to put the power windshield on a ST. Just not built the same.

Don't know about rotating the left handlebar switches Just never thought about. I would guess you will get used to it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

That is very good output!

Windshield isn't that big of a deal.

I'll take it apart and see if I can rotate the switch pod.

Thanks!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Thanks guys, I will try those today, the shifting may well be technique. I did the WD40 on the top case and it opened, but still fights me.

Might just need breaking in time Waste an hour or so just opening & closing it repeatedly. Not as fast as you can either, but in comfortable average time frame

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Another question, who knows what metal valve stems work on the Spyder ST-S?

Thanks,
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Another question, who knows what metal valve stems work on the Spyder ST-S?

Thanks,
    Anyone?

Oh, and what are the preferred tire pressures?

Thanks,
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

• Lastly, for now, is it possible to rotate the left switch pod down a little? It is about half inch different than my BMW and I can't seem to find the signals and horn withut looking.

Replaced the grips today, The heated grips work great, and take about 2 hours to install for someone who has never done it before.

By the way, you can not rotate the switch pods, they are locked in place by substantial tabs on the bar mounts.
    Last edited by JimVonBaden; 11-06-2016 at 07:26 PM.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Jim, As for air pressure, I use 28 psi in the rear tire and 20 psi in the front tires. Handles better for me, fronts had 17 psi when I first got it, felt a bit squirrely, bump to 20 psi fixed it.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Jim, As for air pressure, I use 28 psi in the rear tire and 20 psi in the front tires. Handles better for me, fronts had 17 psi when I first got it, felt a bit squirrely, bump to 20 psi fixed it.
    Thanks, I am running a little lower than that. I'll adjust this evening.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default New 2013 ST

Thanks, I am running a little lower than that. I'll adjust this evening.
    Jim, I just bought a 2013 ST in Sept. low miles and an extended warranty, great machine. I have changed a few things.e.g., Seat(Ultimate, ebay 1/3 cost of new), front and rear tires. The front tires are Federal and the rear is a Kuhmo. The difference is night and day, runnin 20 psi front and 26 psi in the rear.

I rode to eastern Tenneesee about 1100 miles, used about 3/4 qt of oil averaged around 35mpg, great ride.

Items added: BRP fog lights, custom dynamics led package and BRP did the "Good Will" heat deversion, at no costs.

I am sure you will like the unit.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

holy cow ! look at all the stuff hanging , and inside the machine !!! any parts left over ...