Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is an F3 for me?

I am selling my HD Street Glide and thinking of switching to a Spyder. I'm tired of the heat of the air cooled motor, and the wind noise. My wife occasionally nods off on the back, so I figured the Spyder would be safer
    I do about half of my riding solo, and half with my wife. I like a sportier look than the RT, but would want a back rest that perhaps can be removed? Also bags that could be added for a long trip, and perhaps removed when tooling local. Is that all possible with the F3, or should I be looking for an ST limited?
    I've been told I would prefer the lower revving motor of the 2015-2016 after coming off a Harley.
    I would appreciate any feedback, and maybe pics of F3's with backrests or bags.

Thanks
    Bill

Spyder Garage

go to an F3S. I had an RT and it was great but when to an F3-S due to the sportier look and it is way more fun to ride. just get the back rest that is removable and get some shad bags from the brp accessory book. then you will have what you need..

Stiff
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I have a Road Glide and the wife rides an F3-S after riding an ST for a year. Coming off a Street Glide I doubt you will happy with the riding position of the ST because it's more of a lean forward type position. Also, the ST is a five speed. When I rode my wife's ST I found myself searching for another gear at highway speeds. I'm glad she liked it because there's just no way I would have been satisfied with the 990 engine and a five speed. There's nothing wrong with it, the buzzyness and high reving just wasn't for me if that makes any sense. However, since she's got the F3 with the 1330 and a six speed, I can see myself on an F3 and will probably switch from Harley to a Spyder when my arthritis will no longer allow me to ride two wheels. The F3-S impresses me and can be made into a very competent touring machine with minimal investment. The F3-S model comes with cruise control also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

An F3-S with a passenger backrest: you'll be as happy, as a clam in wet sand!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that the F3-S is 115 horsepower right out of the box and it's roughly the same weight as a Street Glide. That means it pretty fast.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your going to be in the wind a lot more on the F3 than you were on the Street Glide.
    The RT is the Ultra/Street Glide of the Spyders.
    An F3 would be the Softail/Road King if we're comparing Harley/Spyder

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To take it a step further the RS would be the Dyna of the Harley world with the ST being a Switchback. 😁👍

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wouldn't a windshield from F4 or others take care of the wind problem, or would the F3 still be fairly turbulent?

Spyder Garage

Default F3E for you

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastryk View Post
    Wouldn't a windshield from F4 or others take care of the wind problem, or would the F3 still be fairly turbulent?
    The F4 windshield will do the job. If i remember correctly the 28" adjust to 30" and the 30" adjust to
    32". Looking thru or over!! Also, the windwings do a great job of moving the wind in or out on the sides.
    Just my thoughts.

Dray

Spyder Garage

With the properly sized windshield the F3 is no more turbulent than a Street Glide with a proper windshield.

Spyder Garage

I went from a Fat boy lo to a 2015 F3s with a F4 windshield and love it .
    Here's a picture of it with the F4 on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2015 F3S , silver

Spyder Garage

I am not sure how to respond to the OP on the question of going from a Street Glide to a F3? I own a late model (2016) Harley Tri Glide, a 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S with an F4 windshield and Baker Air Wings, and a 2005 Harley Road King with a factory windshield. The Can-Am is sooooooooooooooooo different than the Harley that it is hard to put them in the same conversation let alone the same Universe! My suggestion would be to take the wife over to a Can-Am dealer and ride a bike with bags that hopefully has anything but the factory Blue Ridge windshield on it for the test ride. The factory shield is in my humble opinion poorly engineered to do the job of a windshield. The F4 aftermarket is sooooooooooooooo much better that it too cannot be placed in the same conversation with a factory BRP windshield for the F3.

The bikes are so different that I am not sure that you all may like the transition? You might also want to consider getting a great deal on a left over 2016 Harley Tri Glide that would be closer to what you already know although they are still a lot more expensive than a fully equipped F3. The nice thing about that consideration is that you would likely get top dollar for the SG from a Harley dealer. Anyway, I am not sure that I have added much to the conversation but continue to struggle with the original question.

Spyder Garage

I am thinking a good test ride is warranted. HD are very good machines, but they are very different from .

The sit on an F3 does feel Harleyesque. That is as far as I got. Prefer the ride and comfort of my 1330 RT-S for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am selling my HD Street Glide and thinking of switching to a Spyder. I'm tired of the heat of the air cooled motor, and the wind noise. My wife occasionally nods off on the back, so I figured the Spyder would be safer
    I do about half of my riding solo, and half with my wife. I like a sportier look than the RT, but would want a back rest that perhaps can be removed? Also bags that could be added for a long trip, and perhaps removed when tooling local. Is that all possible with the F3, or should I be looking for an ST limited?
    I've been told I would prefer the lower revving motor of the 2015-2016 after coming off a Harley.

Thanks
    Bill
    She nods off? Put her on a Hayabusa
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

F3-s definitely! Good luck on your choice!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am thinking a good test ride is warranted. HD are very good machines, but they are very different from .

The sit on an F3 does feel Harleyesque. That is as far as I got. Prefer the ride and comfort of my 1330 RT-S for now.
    akspyderman, My F3-S only feels "Harleyesque" if you are comparing it to some of the bikes like the Wide Glide and some others where you have that extended feet forward position that Harley's frequently offer with forward controls. Unlike Harleys, BRP offers the U-Fit system that allows for more degrees of freedom in terms of foot/leg positions. Most of my Harley rides sport floorboards that allow the rider less forward foot position and more options for foot/leg placement in a more upright position. In fact, I just ordered a set of BRP floorboards with the shorter shifter because I really am not as comfortable with my feet suspended out in front of me on pegs. That position seems to put more strain on my back.

There seems to be pros and cons to trikes like your RT-S foot positions and trikes like the F3 in terms of floorboards vs pegs. Some complain that the Can-Am floorboards lock their feet into more fixed positions than the pegs. OTOH, the pegs on the sporty F3 allow for a certain amount of weighting/unweighting in more aggressive curves that seems beneficial. My back has just not felt as comfortable with the pegs and I am hoping that the change to floorboards on the F3-S will make it happier.

Spyder Garage

Going from a glide?

The rt may not seem as appealing to you but as you say the wife nods off (as does mine)
    The rt electronic shift 2014 & up with corbin passenger rest (better than my HD ultra rest was.

You may love the F model, i think its super cool, but I can only afford one bike so--- the rt is way closer to the touring family of HD

You want stereo?
    Cruise?
    Storage?

Just my input
    Sure you wi enjoy any 1330 spyder!!
    After about 2000 mi learning curve its awesome

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Rain protection?
    Etc

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Comfort is important. I definitely want a stereo, or the ability to add one. Bags or bags that can be detached is important. Since my wife only rides with me occasionally, a detachable back rest would be best. I guess the heat from the air-cooled engine of the harley is what I am really tired of. Thanks for the input. I sat on a 2016 F3 Limited the other day, and liked it. Unfortunately, it was a couple dollars over the budget. A nice, slightly used one would be just right. My SE Street Glide will probably only bring $20k and my wife will not let me put in any extra $$s

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Bill
    Here is my 2015 (going up for sale today actually w/under 4K miles)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
    Here is my 2015 (going up for sale today actually w/under 4K miles)
    Sooo, what r u asking for that beauty?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Sooo, what r u asking for that beauty?

Joe
    She is built as below, which would be about $25280 before taxes, then the options added
    above that... Looking at this time for $17750 which is basically the payoff. (No matter what
    you look at... the Sway and the rear 2UP are how the units should come from the factory,
    huge-huge improvement in the ride)... But I'll post over in the for-sale section and have
    tons of HiRes pics of all around the F3S.

CanAm F3S
    Blue Ridge Screen
    #5 U-Fit Extension (longest)
    Passenger Backrest
    Passenger FloorBoards
    CrossCountry Saddle Bags
    2-Up Rear Suspension/Coilover Upgrade
    3yr Warranty **

Other (Non-CanAm)
    X-Creen Sport (Perm Mount)
    TourTech Dual Power (for heated suits)
    Console Dual USB accessory port
    Under Seat 12V accessory port
    Grip Puppies
    LidLox
    BajaRon Sway w/Aluminum links
    2015 F3-S SE6 (Rorange)w/BlueRidge windscreen, +2 UFIT, pass backrest, pass floorboard, CrossCountry Saddlebags, BajaRon sway w/links, BANDC 12v under seat, BANDC USB left of key plug, GripPups, x-Creen Sport, 2-Up Rear

2008->
    Victory Vision Tour Premium
    Ducati 900 SS Full-Fairing
    BMW F650GS

Pre-1979
    Suzuki GS1000-E (1st Tri-State Area)
    Suzuki GS750
    Suzuki RM125
    Suzuki GT550 (3Cyl 2-stroke Street)
    Honda CL175
    Honda SL125
    Honda Trail 70 (1st year of hand clutch model)
    Honda Mini-Trail 50

Spyder Garage

I have an F3, I love it! I had a 2011 which I liked, but this bike is fast! I don't have any extras on it, the goodies are so pricey. I did have the fenders painted white, the black looked like a police bike lol. I use a large motorcycle bag for traveling, and it makes a good backrest for me. There is no accessories plug. I bought one, was told I could install it myself, NOT. The dealer wanted $95., plus 32 for part. I chose not to. I use a portable charger, a Morph. It meets my needs, but if I knew more about wiring I would have preferred the real thing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Many of the twin engine bikes are fine. You get used to the hi rev, and actually, it's sorta fun! :-) The thing I really didn't like was the range. The 3 cylinder engines will give you the range of your H/D, but the twins will give you the range of a SPORTSTER! That was really a pain, especially out west where distances between fuel opportunities can be limited! I had H/Ds for years and would never go back! Love my F3S!

Spyder Garage

The F4 windsheild will do it