Spyder Garage

Default Factory quality control

I am a new owner of a 2016 RT-S coming from a 2008 Goldwing. I have had the Spyder for a couple months and 1500 miles. Due to some medical issues I had to either give up riding or look at the alternatives. I test rode both of the Harley trikes as well as a Goldwing conversion and the Spyder. The Spyder won hands down. It isnt the same as riding two wheels but I had to accept the fact that two wheels were no longer an option. As others have said it took me most of 1000 miles to really feel comfortable but now I am really enjoying the ride. When I picked the Spyder up from the dealer it was obvious that the rear suspension wasnt right and you could hear the compressor running way to often. I took it back to the dealer and they found that a connector hadnt been connected from the factory. Yesterday I had some of the panels off in order to run the wires for my heated gear. At the laft side of the motor just behind the fog light is a large plastic tube that looks like the intake. The clamps that secure the parts together were just lying loose at the bottom of the tube. The clamps were so loose that I could put three fingers between them and the tube. Is this typical or did I get one that was built late on a Friday arternoon?

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

It is a combination of things....some are things the dealer should have taken care of and some may be a factory problem. Either way it should have been done before you rode away on it. This happens to all brands and types and I know from working on motorcycles for to many years. There are some areas where the assembly is not even handled by the dealers. They outsource it to companies that store and assemble them and deliver them to the showroom built by people not trained by BRP or other brands they handle. We have seen both your problems here before but not that often....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Between factory assembly and dealer set-up, the ideal situation would be that all glitches are found and the new owner gets a perfectly assembled

Then--reality kicks in. Some dealers are better than others when it comes to set-up and quality control. There are a few that don't even test ride them. Really bad stuff shows up once in awhile, but that is more rare than common.

It might be good to give yours the once over to make sure other things are not lurking.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by bandito View Post
    I am a new owner of a 2016 RT-S coming from a 2008 Goldwing. I have had the Spyder for a couple months and 1500 miles. Due to some medical issues I had to either give up riding or look at the alternatives. I test rode both of the Harley trikes as well as a Goldwing conversion and the Spyder. The Spyder won hands down. It isnt the same as riding two wheels but I had to accept the fact that two wheels were no longer an option. As others have said it took me most of 1000 miles to really feel comfortable but now I am really enjoying the ride. When I picked the Spyder up from the dealer it was obvious that the rear suspension wasnt right and you could hear the compressor running way to often. I took it back to the dealer and they found that a connector hadnt been connected from the factory. Yesterday I had some of the panels off in order to run the wires for my heated gear. At the laft side of the motor just behind the fog light is a large plastic tube that looks like the intake. The clamps that secure the parts together were just lying loose at the bottom of the tube. The clamps were so loose that I could put three fingers between them and the tube. Is this typical or did I get one that was built late on a Friday arternoon?
    &..... My story is EXACTLY the same as your word for word ... until the parts - part. Re-garding that I don't use dealer's Tech's because I'm pretty confident I do better work, I know I'm more honest ..... and as far as the Air Intake , do your-self a favor - remove it and just leave the rubber elboe. The Spyder will breath better....... Mike