Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS Error - Key (One more question)

How many times I should have a DESS error for the key before the dealer will replace parts. I asked because in 3 months I had the error twice. I have 4,000 miles in my 2016 F3 Limited. I do not want to take the bike, and have the dealer to keep it for a week to tell me well it only happens twice, why not wait. Thanks you.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

I think if you had the DESS error once thats one time to many.If it,s a good dealer i would hope he is looking into it right away.I have been lucky but if it happens it,ll be sent to the dealer and fixed.These are not cheap machines and should be repaired ASAP.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Next time it happens. Take a picture of the screen, then have it towed. Hopefully to a better dealer. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For now, when I get the error, if I remove the key and put the key back on the ignition right away the bike does start. Is annoying yes, but the bike will start right away.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS - TRUTH

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    For now, when I get the error, if I remove the key and put the key back on the ignition right away the bike does start. Is annoying yes, but the bike will start right away.
    with poster#2 above..............& the MODULE does not / can not FIX itself ....... You have been given a Warning by your Spyder......... This is what can/might/will happen if it doesn't re-start the next time....... You will be required to have it towed to SOME dealer depending on where you are !!!! .... maybe you aren't near home !!!! ..... maybe it's 1 AM and pouring rain ..... maybe you can't even get a flatbed tow truck !!!! ...... And I won't even get into the COST ....... because maybe you don't realize that MOST of it is NOT covered........ Have I Scared you yet ....... If you can take a Pic fine - but it's BS, because the error is in the computer and the dealer had better be able to find it....... if not - Demand they get BRP involved immediately ....... Good luck.......Mike

Spyder Garage

How many times I should have a DESS error for the key before the dealer will replace parts. I asked because in 3 months I had the error twice. I have 4,000 miles in my 2016 F3 Limited. I do not want to take the bike, and have the dealer to keep it for a week to tell me well it only happens twice, why not wait. Thanks you.
    Have your dealership replace the dess module /and ignition switch. Get it fixed ASAP before you get stranded etc.

I(Deanna777) started a "Thread DESS KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" with some helpful information. Keep us posted. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 11-20-2016 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added to post on 11/20/16

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I sent an email to BRP And received a reply after a few hours with a BRP Case number. I also made an appointment with my dealer. Thanks everyone.

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

For now you have a solution and are able to move on but when it goes...and it will... you may not be in the best place and have a big problem if out on the road. If you have had it once and they know about this just have it done. Call ahead to make sure they have the parts....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    For now you have a solution and are able to move on but when it goes...and it will... you may not be in the best place and have a big problem if out on the road. If you have had it once and they know about this just have it done. Call ahead to make sure they have the parts....
    I called and the way the dealer works, you make an appointment for diagnostics and then they will order the parts from BRP. Right away, the service dept caution me that I should not be looking at the forum for fixes (whatever!!) and No I don't have that many options of dealers in the Northern Virginia area.

Spyder Garage

Wow...don't know your dealer but would find one that wants to help
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Wow...don't know your dealer but would find one that wants to help
    In the Northern VA Area...good luck...

Spyder Garage

I called and the way the dealer works, you make an appointment for diagnostics and then they will order the parts from BRP. Right away, the service dept caution me that I should not be looking at the forum for fixes (whatever!!) and No I don't have that many options of dealers in the Northern Virginia area.
    I'd let them even FB now has a page for us spyderlovers to report bad dealers

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Default DIAGNOSTIC VERIFICATION

Hi again, as stated above this is NORMAL procedure ..... anything done under warranty by ANY dealer MUST be verified ( by BUDS usually ) that it is broke ..... However the warning about Forum fixes would make me a little nervous about THEM ..... I understand that people can get Bad info or they don't understand the info etc., so I don't how this was intended ...... The good news is you are on your way to a solution ... I doubt they will do this , but I re-moved my DESS module and re-positioned it under the right headlight ( with 2 bolts ) ( the wires will reach ) So far after 3000 miles it has been working fine in that location and it will only take 5 minutes to re-place now because the FRUNK does not need to be re-moved to do it....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike...
    The next time that you've got the front-end of your bike apart: have somebody show you how to take a picture of this change, and get it posted in here.
    (As you mentioned: you don't have to de-frunk your bike now to reach it... It could show folks the OEM positioning of the module, and how it relates to your relocated version.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you get the Dess error code again................. try this: Turn your key on/off immediately and DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN for 4/5 cycles. The above info I got from my dealership. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 10-18-2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: corrected a word " IF" at the begining of sentence.

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I you get the Dess error code again................. try this: Turn your key on/off immediately and DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN for 4/5 cycles. The above info I got from my dealership. Deanna
    Deanna, are you saying - off/on, off/on, off/on, off/on and it should be OK? ....or am I misinterpreting this?
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    I'd let them even FB now has a page for us spyderlovers to report bad dealers

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    About the FB page: We are getting many, many more good reports than bad. It looks like their may only be a limited number of dealers that could improve. For me, that is very encouraging. Just wanted to clarify that it is not only for bad dealers, but good ones as well.
    Peace out.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Deanna, are you saying - off/on, off/on, off/on, off/on and it should be OK? ....or am I misinterpreting this?
    I'm sure Deanna will get back to you in due course, she is usually pretty good that way, but in the meantime, that's pretty much the way of it Pete - altho maybe you could add just one more off/on!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm sure Deanna will get back to you in due course, she is usually pretty good that way, but in the meantime, that's pretty much the way of it Pete - altho maybe you could add just one more off/on!
    .....and let us know if it actually helps (fingers crossed)

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, and I am hopeful I will never have to find out if it DOES make a difference, Doc.....it's just that forewarned is forearmed when you are a long way from home.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I you get the Dess error code again................. try this: Turn your key on/off immediately and DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN for 4/5 cycles. The above info I got from my dealership. Deanna
    That was exactly what I did, turn the key on/off and the bike started right away, thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Peteoz, that is what I am saying.

Also, you are not misinterpreting it.

My dealership mention that to me, when I had the dess module/and ignition switch replaced( 2nd time Aug. 28, 2015). Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Spyder Garage

Peter, Yes, I do get back, when I get a chance. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well Robin from BRP provided me with a BRP case number for my DESS error (key). I contacted the dealer and asked them if they could order the parts prior for me to go to my appointment next week. They do acknowledged the BRP case in the computer. I was told, that the tech still must troubleshoot the bike, and at that time, they can order the parts needed. WTF!!! That means I will be out without my bike for at least a good week or more.

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Well Robin from BRP provided me with a BRP case number for my DESS error (key). I contacted the dealer and asked them if they could order the parts prior for me to go to my appointment next week. They do acknowledged the BRP case in the computer. I was told, that the tech still must troubleshoot the bike, and at that time, they can order the parts needed. WTF!!! That means I will be out without my bike for at least a good week or more.
    ..............IMHO ....... and probably others .... " troubleshoot the bike " is pure BS ..... All that needs to done is to plug into BUDS ...10 minutes at most ........ The plug is EASY access under that black cover below the Right front headlight .... Don't accept the HOOEY they are throwing ........ good luck ...... Mike