Spyder Garage

Default Have you seen anything like this?

We took my wife's F3 Limited in for its first service this morning. She has 2500 miles and we're getting ready for winter.

The service tech comes out and shows us the oil filter. He said there was too much suction and it caused the filter to collapse. He's never seen this and is contacting BRP to see if this is an issue.

Have you seen anything like this?

Pictures coming soon. I have to reduce their size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Copperman; 10-22-2016 at 10:35 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah...

Not recently nor on the new engines. Many times caused by a really dirty filter or the wrong filter. The new ones are mesh wrapped to keep this from happening similar to the air filters like K & N...will be interesting to see what the BRP tech's have to say....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I remembered one but I don't know what the final resolution was.

Lin

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...date-on-Spyder
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He never told us...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Filter

I bought a 16 rt last minted 0. Km
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    He never told us...
    I bought 2016 rt last minted brand new took it got two km let it rev 500 oil light cam on drove it back but it on buds said d festive pressure switch did still came on took the oil filter out it was collapsed they put new filter when 80 km road test it was fine they said they say it on the 1200 skidoo

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    I bought a 16 rt last minted 0. Km I bought 2016 rt last minted brand new took it got two km let it rev 500 oil light cam on drove it back but it on buds said d festive pressure switch did still came on took the oil filter out it was collapsed they put new filter when 80 km road test it was fine they said they say it on the 1200 skidoo

what did he say?????????
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    We took my wife's F3 Limited in for its first service this morning. She has 2500 miles and we're getting ready for winter.

The service tech comes out and shows us the oil filter. He said there was too much suction and it caused the filter to collapse. He's never seen this and is contacting BRP to see if this is an issue.

Have you seen anything like this?

Pictures coming soon. I have to reduce their size.

Keep us in the loop on this

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Picture is posted.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Saw it on LC8 KTM 1290 engines. Bad filter. Replace.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks. The tech did say there didn't appear to be any issues with the motor and he saw nothing in the oil that concerned him. Hopefully it was just a bad filter.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I don't know, but I'm really skeptical about just being a defective filter. The OEM filters are made of steel and metal, not paper and plastic like most aftermarket filters. It would seem more likely is a defective installation. A properly running engine should not create enough pressure to deform steel like that.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Despite what the tech said, there was some issue that caused the filter to collapse. I believe Spyder engines, like most other engines, incorporate a bypass valve that directs oil past the filter at a certain pressure (like cold starts) or if a restriction occurs. Did the bypass operate as designed? If so, how did the pressure build high enough to collapse the filter? The tech would have to explain this to me before I took his explanation that everything is okay.

Spyder Garage

Were there any other parts/pieces from that filter? The end shown looks nothing like any filter I've put in my Spyder, either a BRP or a HiFlo 556 from BajaRon. Both ends on those two filters have a metal cap and thick rubber gasket.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Were there any other parts/pieces from that filter? The end shown looks nothing like any filter I've put in my Spyder, either a BRP or a HiFlo 556 from BajaRon. Both ends on those two filters have a metal cap and thick rubber gasket.
    He had to pull the end metal cap off the filter to see inside.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk