Spyder Garage

Default Any Spyder without electronic or mechanical mods having issues

Just wondered if anyone has a Spyder, SE5 or SM5, without any electrical or mechanical mods, and is having serious issues.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default MINE IS GOOD.

SQUEEKY BRAKES IS MY ONLY PROBLEM. HAVE NOT HAD IT IN THE SHOP YET TO HAVE THE BRAKES FIXED. I'VE GOT 5200 MILES ON IT.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I did start experiencing the shifting problems but my dealer replaced the clutch rollers as directed to by BRP and have not had the shifting problems since. I have almost 5000km on teh bike and yes I do have some electircal mods.
    HAPPY 2008 SE5 OWNER 1" BRP Riser, NMN 3" risers, NMN Triple Play & Tail Light, Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions, Evoluzione Powerbus, BRP 23" Touring Windshield on CHAD Bracket, Ride-On in tires, J&M Integrator, Gerbings Dual Zone Temp Controller & Heated Gloves, 2 Dash Mounted 12V outlets, Kewlmetal Highway Brackets & Kuryakyn pegs, Trunk Spring Mod, Vista Cruise Throttle Lock, Kuyrakyn L.E.D. Battery Guage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rleathen View Post
    I did start experiencing the shifting problems but my dealer replaced the clutch rollers as directed to by BRP and have not had the shifting problems since. I have almost 5000km on teh bike and yes I do have some electircal mods.

Clutch rollers???

I believe that many many Spyders have had problems without any electronic mods done.

Spyder Garage

Mine has had what appears to be some minor problems that others have had also. Such as a bad relay and the bad exhaust gasket, both minor issues that I fixed myself.

Then I've had a couple that don't seem too common such as a corroded battery and head gaskets being replaced.
    "I'm the only hell my mama ever raised"

Spyder Garage

102 views and only 4 replies. Does that mean that 98 who viewed had no problems to post? If so, that's a pretty good number of Happy Spyder Riders.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have had my SPYDER for just over a year with many mods - elect and performance - NO PROBLEMS that are related to the machine - Took a rock in the belt and had to replace it - wore out a reart tire in 8K miles - I ride it like i stole it and run up the twisties in Colorado with the hot rod bike all the time. I also own four other bikes but ride the spyder more than any of the others. Great machine, well built.
    Billl in Denver

Spyder Garage

Probably a good number of views are from members who have made electrical or mechanical mods to their Spyder. If the "no mods" qualifier wasn't in the original post, there probably would be more responses.

Since I'm here...

I have had no issues related to the mods I've installed. Really, my only issue has been the exhaust gasket(s) getting fried. Never put me out of commission but I had to ride an extra hot, extra loud Spyder for a month (and down to Gatlinburg and back) while waiting for my dealer to get the replacement gaskets. I think the delay was because BRP was getting a different manufacturer for the gaskets or they were redesigned or something.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Probably a good number of views are from members who have made electrical or mechanical mods to their Spyder. If the "no mods" qualifier wasn't in the original post, there probably would be more responses.
    Yeah, finding a Spyder with no mods seems to be real hard. Even I am guilty of some changes. No serious problems, though, other than the cracked windshields, and they certainly have nothing to do with the modifications.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Yeah, finding a Spyder with no mods seems to be real hard. Even I am guilty of some changes. No serious problems, though, other than the cracked windshields, and they certainly have nothing to do with the modifications.
    -Scotty
    Yes, I guess I am one of the few who does not want to add on anything electrical or mechanical. Have never had any use for that in the past and can't see any now. That's just me. What I have done is in my signature.
    Happy Trails Scotty.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default recalls braks

went to dealer today to get braks fixed squeeking when going backwords they have a recall on them and put new one's on her for free antafreeze leek hose was not tight .got home and started to rain after i got her put away thank god lol

Spyder Garage

I have the 1" riser - only mod. Bike is in the shop with EBD fault; ABS fault and a DPS fault. Don't think th e1" riser caused theis problem. 6000 miles.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Just wondered if anyone has a Spyder, SE5 or SM5, without any electrical or mechanical mods, and is having serious issues.
    The only mod I have which could be considered electrical is the high mount brake light in my Givi top box. The only issue I have had is the "check engine" warning which was activated several times the first few weeks after I picked up my Spyder. When I had my first service done, the technician found some fault codes in relation to the check engine warning light. These were corrected, and I have not had a recurrence since then.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't fall into your category because i have both Mechanical and Electrical mods but i do fall in the haven't had a problem catagory
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Shifting problems, MAJOR, but I have the Hindle exhaust (which has absolutely NO effect whatsoever on my horrid SE-5 experience).

Spyder Garage

Default every nmn

i have every mod no magic sells and not a single problem
    SPYDRRR

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default NO ELECTRICAL MODS

I have not done any electrical mods. I have the check engine light coming on. It still runs, but I have gontten check DPS fault warning also. The bike has 19,750 miles on it since March 08.