Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why is it BRP's fault that your dealer didn't take their Spyder line-up seriously?
    It costs BRP money, to keep a non-productive dealer on the books...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    thanks for setting me straight ! though the lear jet division , was in the article ... did not know they had a train division
    Bombardier Transportation Division is a separate company from BRP Recreation Products the makers of the spyder,ski-doo ,see-doo and Can-Am ATV
    This is the link for bombardier the makers of planes and trains.http://www.bombardier.com/en/about-us.html
    This is the company laying people off.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why is it BRP's fault that your dealer didn't take their Spyder line-up seriously?
    It costs BRP money, to keep a non-productive dealer on the books...
    Not quite sure what you're driving at. What the Can Am rep told me last year is that BRP marketing has expectations for sales that often are unrealistic for a particular market area. IIRC, the allotment that BRP is requiring dealers to buy has been increased, hence some dealers who in the past were able to satisfy the marketing folks requirements are not able to do so when the requirements have been increased. In a sense this is BRP's fault for placing unachievable requirements on dealers. On the other hand, it's not their fault if the cost of keeping a dealer online exceeds the return they get from the dealer.

I would not discount the possibility that a non-productive dealer was taken in by a glowing sales pitch from the BRP marketing folks and that's why they signed up in the first place. Subsequently, the dealer learned by experience that the market he was led to believe was out there, really wasn't. You're in sales. You know how that works!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer closing in Montana

I bought my Spyder from the Kalispell dealer - Jessco. They told me this summer that they where discontinuing selling the Spyders because they weren't selling enough of them to keep the franchise going with BRP. I didn't know about them closing the one in Great Falls too. Jessco will continue to do maintenance on the Spyder for 2 years. By then I'll be out of warranty and will have the local guy do my maintenance. I live 75 miles north of Kalispell. Realize that will have to travel to Spokane to get any thing major done. Bummer, was hoping to have a choice between Great Falls and Spokane. The main point was that Jessco made the decision to stop carrying the Spyder line, they do carry other BRP products tho.
    2014 RT-S
    YELLOW
    BajaRon Anti Sway bar
    Adjustable handle bars
    SpyderPops Skid plate

Spyder Garage

There are just too many factors that could go into this. My wife was the one who fell in love with the idea of riding. I told her that every two-wheeler I had ever been on I had ended up me down and wheels up lol She decided that the Spyder would work and test drove one. Still thinking she wasn't serious I told her we should each have our own...

...she said that's a great idea!

She goes back to the dealer we took our test ride at and they have ONE guy who handles Spyders. He acted insulted that she would ask him about buying two units. Needless to say this didn't sit and after a few words he changed his tune and shot her some pricing. We got the financing. We were ready. A few weeks later we were on vacation in another part of the state and happened to ride by a dealership. We went in and it was 100% different. They were engaging. Everyone there knew about Spyders. The sales manager talked to us. It was a completely different scene. Not only that but he SMOKED the other dealer (and by smoked I mean five figures on two machines.) All this to say that sometimes these guys just aren't pushing the line enough. A Spyder almost has to be something someone WANTS before the guys will even talk to you about it. I've hung around and listened to the sales people while getting my Spyder serviced. They never ask anyone "have you thought about a Spyder" although I realize this is a very short period of time I'm standing there eavesdropping. To me I'd think they would be easier to sell to a new rider as long as they were able to get financing.

Just my two Cs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many, if not most dealers have added the Spyder line to their existing line-up of bikes. I think the attitude many 2-wheel riders have against Spyders lives in those showrooms. If a product isn't appealing to the sales staff, how can they enthusiastically sell it? My local HD dealership occasionally takes a Spyder in trade and I've let the know I'm available to address questions from a rider's view. They've never called and I think they just wholesale the units out to get rid of them.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 10-26-2016 at 04:43 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEALERS AND SERVICING ETC

Quote Originally Posted by The Bee!! View Post
    I bought my Spyder from the Kalispell dealer - Jessco. They told me this summer that they where discontinuing selling the Spyders because they weren't selling enough of them to keep the franchise going with BRP. I didn't know about them closing the one in Great Falls too. Jessco will continue to do maintenance on the Spyder for 2 years. By then I'll be out of warranty and will have the local guy do my maintenance. I live 75 miles north of Kalispell. Realize that will have to travel to Spokane to get any thing major done. Bummer, was hoping to have a choice between Great Falls and Spokane. The main point was that Jessco made the decision to stop carrying the Spyder line, they do carry other BRP products tho.
    Dealers will ALWAYS tell you that you NEED them ....... well in my experience that's pure BS .... they need you ...... I've had 3 Spyders and the amount of time spent at Dealers is hours using one hand to count on .... I'm not a mechanic but am handi with tools and you can be also ...... There are people here on Spyderlovers that know far more than most Dealer Tech's and are a lot friendlier ........ just some thoughts ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Part of the problem, I think, is that the normal 2 wheeled 'Flim-Flam' from the sales person just doesn't get it with the Spyder. Sales persons who don't know the machine (and may be a great deal of them) probably do not feel comfortable answering questions. They just can't make up stories quick enough to cover themselves. They end up looking like they don't know what they are talking about (which they don't). So they try to avoid the conversation altogether. Which means not selling any Spyders.

It's hard to like something that you don't know anything about. And it's hard to sell something you don't like. I wonder if many Spyders are sold IN SPITE of the sales person, not because of them.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron,
    Have you ever thought that Spyders get sold, because of what WE say about them?
    I've sold three for my dealer, and one each; for two other dealers!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    According to the BRP website http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/dealer-locator.html
    there is one in Billings.

Problem solved for the "Montana Three Wheeled Bronc Riders"!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Coming back from Hill Country Ride in Boerne, TX I saw a Can AM depot east of El Paso with 2000+ units just sitting there crated up. Question was why and why in this location? Anyone around El Paso know anything about this? I could not get anyone to divulge any information. Maybe new 17's waiting for delivery or left over units that had not sold.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Ron,
    Have you ever thought that Spyders get sold, because of what WE say about them?
    I've sold three for my dealer, and one each; for two other dealers!
    Certainly! I don't know how you would ever find out. But I have to believe that a respectable number of Spyders get sold right here on Spyderlovers. By this I mean that people are convinced they want one, in large part, due to what we post on this forum.

If I were looking for a Spyder I know I would end up here for sure. I also think that is why the average ratio between 'Members' and 'Guests' is 3 to 1 in favor of Guests.

I also believe that BRP appreciates the significance of a forum like this which can help make or break their product.

In short. The primary purpose of this forum is not to sell Spyders. But it certainly does.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-25-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Coming back from Hill Country Ride in Boerne, TX I saw a Can AM depot east of El Paso with 2000+ units just sitting there crated up. Question was why and why in this location? Anyone around El Paso know anything about this? I could not get anyone to divulge any information. Maybe new 17's waiting for delivery or left over units that had not sold.

Jack
    A few dealers restack their empty crates.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default USED TO BE VERY RELIABLE

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeauty View Post
    I do a lot of touring during the spring and summer. Spyder service is frequently not readily available should I have a serious issue. However, two years ago I had a flat front tire. Couldn't be patched as it was a tear into the sidewall. I was in Libbey, Montana. Local tire dealer no help with replacement. Called dealer in Kalispell and they overnighted a replacement tire. Les Swab changed the tire and I was in my way. Sorry to hear the Kalispell dealer is no more. They gave me great service..if they are gone, closest might be Spokane or Gillette.
    Might have to think more about routes in the future.
    I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THE Kalispell DEALER was behind in their payments. They were always very reliable and helpful to me.
    CapNCrunch, Stevi, MT
    : =(

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapNCrunch View Post
    I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THE Kalispell DEALER was behind in their payments. They were always very reliable and helpful to me.
    CapNCrunch, Stevi, MT
    : =(
    Who said they were?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack

Jack, those were water and snow machines made in Mexico and brought over for distribution.

I used to run flatbed and took freight into the military bases in and around El Paso.

Since there was very little freight coming out of El Paso, a lot of guys hauled the Can Am stuff out.

I always deadheaded out of there. The Can Am stuff was too cheap to haul out.