Spyder Garage

Default Spyder V Motorcycle Differences?

I'm sure this has been covered before, but please pardon the n0Ob.

I did read the Do's and Dont's, and found them informative. I have a few hundred thousand miles on two wheel bikes, and currently ride my BMW R1200GS to work daily. I hope to pick up my wife's new to her Spyder ST-S on Sunday, and ride it home for her. The trip is 180 miles of mostly highway and some back roads and towns. The plan is to ride it around the town I am picking it up in, then stop for lunch, then hit the freeway home through Philly, Baltimore and then to DC. This thread has made me a bit nervous about the ride because, though I have lots of two wheel experience, I have zero on three.

For those who made the transition, or who ride both a Spyder and a Motorcycle, was the initial experience that much of a shock, and was it that difficult? I'm going to do it anyhow, but am curious about your experiences.

Thanks,
    Last edited by JimVonBaden; 10-20-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Some transition easily and quickly some it take 3 to 500 miles to get really comfortable. You should be fine on the ryde home if you relax take it at a slower than normal for you ryde. On the freeways it will be a breeze but as you hit twisties and towns you need to build up your speed into them slowly as you get more comfortable with the handling. These are like driving a formula car on horseback...You will have fun.... congrats to the wife and welcome to you both...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER VS TWO WHEEL MTC

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    I say drive the roads steering like a car, and use a light hold onto the tiller. Grip the seat with your thighs like you are riding a horse, and lean your body toward the inside of a curve if in the twisties.

Experienced riders may now tell you how it really is....
    ....... Also when I first test rode a Spyder the best advice was - - - forget everything you know about driving your Goldwing !!!!! .... Drive the Spyder like a CAR .... use a light touch , remember FOOT brake ONLY ....it stops on a dime and can't skid ( ABS ) .......Good Luck ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default WITH 5 MILES OF SPYDER EXPERIENCE

I say drive the roads steering like a car, and use a light hold onto the tiller. Grip the seat with your thighs like you are riding a horse, and lean your body toward the inside of a curve if in the twisties.

Experienced riders may now tell you how it really is....

Spyder Garage

All good advice above.

For Review:

: Avoid the death grip--it gives the a mind of its own.
    : For turns, plant the outside foot, lean slightly into the curve. This will make the "g" forces seem to go away.
    : Enter curves at such a speed that you do not have to hit the brakes. Slight acceleration during a turn is a good thing.

Drive safe and enjoy the new experience.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-20-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was so happy with all the Spyder plusses that it wasn't a big deal for me. Loved the stability, braking and increased visibility. Don't miss putting my feet down.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First Ryde

I bought my Spyder in June and rode it home to Baltimore from the other side of Philly on I 95. I had never ridden a Spyder before and, yes, there is a difference in handling when compared to a two wheeler, but you do get used to it. The best advice that I got was to relax my grip on the handle bars. I found that the grips were a bit small and had considered installing Kuryakyn grips, but used the foam covers for the stock grips and it made a HUGE difference. I came from a 2014 Kawasaki Voyager that I purchased in October of 2014. I thought that I had my ultimate touring motorcycle! On a ride out to Colorado in May 2015, I dropped the bike from a standstill 3 times and found that the best that I could do was to soften the blow. Then, I had to wait until some Samaritan came along to help me to pick up this 900+ pound, top heavy beast. On another occasion, I had parked the bike on a slight downward slope leaning to the left; again, I had to wait for someone to help me get it upright. I considered getting the Voyager "triked", but the more research that I did, I was learning that trikes too can be unstable. Since my wife was finally getting used to the idea of riding, I wanted her to feel comfortable and confident whenever we rode. That's when I started looking at Spyders and I'm glad that I did. Do I miss the Voyager? HELL, yes!! But now, my wife looks for excuses for us to ryde!
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Picked up the new to us Spyder from a forum member (great experience) 195 miles home. 5 near misses, like I was invisible. Never seen anything like it. One nearly mashed me between himself and the Jersey barrier at 60 mph.

It took me all of 5 minutes to get reasonably comfortable with it, a half an hour to settle in. Upwards of 80 mph on the open road. The bike ran great. Pieces of advice I received that worked were, loose grip, 90% fixed any issues. Find the brake, the one really near miss I was hunting for the brake. Push the bar opposite the turn. This took practice to get smooth, but really worked.

Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Jim, Glad you made it home OK with only a couple of incidents! Probably distracted drivers, which in that case it doesn't matter what you are driving or riding!!
    I hope you all enjoy your new toy!!! The only tip I have for you is to keep an eye on your oil level. The Vtwin does use some oil, if the tranny is not shifting smoothly is a good indication that the oil level is low. Also be sure engine is at operating temp before checking the oil, it is a dry sump engine. OK, 1 more thing, the engine does not like to be lugged, I have found that shifting at or above 5500 rpm works better for me, you may want to experiment to see what is best for you.
    Have fun and ride safe!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Jim, Glad you made it home OK with only a couple of incidents! Probably distracted drivers, which in that case it doesn't matter what you are driving or riding!!
    I hope you all enjoy your new toy!!! The only tip I have for you is to keep an eye on your oil level. The Vtwin does use some oil, if the tranny is not shifting smoothly is a good indication that the oil level is low. Also be sure engine is at operating temp before checking the oil, it is a dry sump engine. OK, 1 more thing, the engine does not like to be lugged, I have found that shifting at or above 5500 rpm works better for me, you may want to experiment to see what is best for you.
    Have fun and ride safe!!!
    Thanks, excellent info, especially about the oil and effects.

I found out quick enough to keep the RPMs up. It is a lot like my BMW in how it pulls.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Yes, the Vtwin likes to rev, the power really comes on above 5,000 rpm!!!! I am very happy with my Spyder, lots of fun!!!! I hope you enjoy yours too!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5