Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 vs 2014

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2009 vs 2014

I am currently looking at a 2009 that I am considering purchasing. Before I drive a state away to check it out, I wanted to test drive a similar RS model. A friend has a 2014 RSS that I will be trying out friday. What would be the main differences between the year models? Will the handling, stance, and seating position be similar? My only comparison would be my 2014 RT, and the F3T's that I have test driven. Thanks for any input.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Not a lot of difference other than appearance items. IMO--newer would be better. The RS line has now been discontinued so there should be bargains to be had in either case.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default RS

About the same to me, except the bars are higher on a new one.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Main difference - suspension.

The rss will have adjustable front shocks. My 09 Rs didn't, but it did have preload on the rear shock which was dropped on later models.

I believe the suspension was improved on later models, apart from the shocks.

Rss is generally more of a lean forward to bars than Rs. Whether this is a plus or minus is your choice.

another difference may be electronic parking brake rather than the manual pedal as on the Rs. I highly recommend the electronic 'button' version, but that's just my take.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am currently looking at a 2009 that I am considering purchasing. Before I drive a state away to check it out, I wanted to test drive a similar RS model. A friend has a 2014 RSS that I will be trying out friday. What would be the main differences between the year models? Will the handling, stance, and seating position be similar? My only comparison would be my 2014 RT, and the F3T's that I have test driven. Thanks for any input.
    2014 thru 2016 RS-S is the best of the GS/RS types as all updates are on board. I get to ryde all types of Spyders, as do some part time work at dealer. Good luck. I realy love my 2014 RS-S at 27,800 and rolling..
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The newer bike will have the 15" wheels, new suspension geometry, and Brembo brakes.
    It'll also have the 100 horsepower 991 series engine.
    The older bike has the 106 horse, 990 series engine.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to go against the grain and say to buy the 09'. It's going to be cheaper to buy, cheaper to mod, easier to mod for better performance, and faster too.

At the end of the day just buy the one that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling! Enjoy!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

The main change over happened in 2013 so comparing 2013 onwards with 2009
    2008 - 2012 2013 - 2016
    Standard Brakes (still very good) Brembo Brakes
    990's series engine 991's series engine
    0-60mph 4.5 seconds 0-60mph 4.6 seconds
    106bhp @ 8500rpm 100bhp @ 7500rpm
    104.3Nm @ 6250rpm 108Nm @ 5000rpm
    After market kit available to make front shock mounts higher for improved handling Front shock mounts higher for improving handling
    Standard front shocks Improved front shocks
    Catalytic converter built into exhaust Catalytic converter separate and mounted under engine (some suggestions this increased heat in engine bay)
    Flat bars, could not be swapped with other Spyder models Slightly raised bars, mounts changed so could be swapped with RT or ST bars.

The engine on the pre-2013s was more rev happy and faster but as a result also gets though the gas quicker. Personally I prefer the older engine:-)

I agree with DrewNJ on the choice but that's probably because I have a 2011.

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

For comparison there is little difference. If you have a choice then go for newer ones. I think the 2012 is the best and last of the 106 hp engines...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I had a 2009 GS? I have a 2012 RT and 2015 F3. When you test drive the RS I believe you will buy a F3 or RT ? Let us know???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Hi PistonBlown,

Re: After market kit available to make front shock mounts higher for improved handling.

Earlier this year I bought what I was told is the last kit to relocate the front shocks.

Pit Bull said that they would not be making anymore kits.

Just want to make sure people are not mistaken on this item.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    The main change over happened in 2013 so comparing 2013 onwards with 2009
    2008 - 2012 2013 - 2016
    Standard Brakes (still very good) Brembo Brakes
    990's series engine 991's series engine
    0-60mph 4.5 seconds 0-60mph 4.6 seconds
    106bhp @ 8500rpm 100bhp @ 7500rpm
    104.3Nm @ 6250rpm 108Nm @ 5000rpm
    After market kit available to make front shock mounts higher for improved handling Front shock mounts higher for improving handling
    Standard front shocks Improved front shocks
    Catalytic converter built into exhaust Catalytic converter separate and mounted under engine (some suggestions this increased heat in engine bay)
    Flat bars, could not be swapped with other Spyder models Slightly raised bars, mounts changed so could be swapped with RT or ST bars.

The engine on the pre-2013s was more rev happy and faster but as a result also gets though the gas quicker. Personally I prefer the older engine:-)

I agree with DrewNJ on the choice but that's probably because I have a 2011.
    Is the above generally true of the ST-s as well, ergonomics excepted of course?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Is the above generally true of the ST-s as well, ergonomics excepted of course?
    No, the ST came out in 13' so it falls in the 13'+ specs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I had a 2009 GS? I have a 2012 RT and 2015 F3. When you test drive the RS I believe you will buy a F3 or RT ? Let us know???
    I actually have a 2014 RT with the 1330 and love it. I am looking at the 2009 just as a second spyder to have more as a daily driver and to hit the twisty roads with. It will also be used to train the wife on. I do like the F3T, but it still would not be as comfortable for the spouse when we travel together. So for the difference in price, I can pick up a good used GS and have 2.

Spyder Garage

Well, I got a chance to ride a friends 2015 RSS today. I must say, it was a blast to drive. I might be wrong, but I feel like BRP is letting down a whole group of spyder riders. Don't get me wrong, I love my RT for touring and longer rides. And the F3 platform has it's place for cruising and the occasional spirited rides. But I don't think either one can hold a candle to the RS for the shear fun in the twisties. I wanted something that I could drive a little more aggressively in the turns, but still use as a daily driver. A sport touring bike like the FJR or concours was perfect, but I was a little afraid I might get too agressive. I think the RS or GS will fit the bill.

Spyder Garage

Default Me Too!

We also own a 2014 RTS. Last year my Wife sort of took"Snoopy" over, so we bought a used '09 GS Phantom for me. I have to tell you that I LOVE "Twisted" (the '09), as much as Snoopy, but for totally different reasons. Both have BaJa Ron Swaybars, Twisted got Progressive Shocks.
    When I want to go out and be a "Hot Rod", I take Twisted out for a Ryde. It's my daily driver. But every now and again, I want the total comfort of Snoopy, so I take the RTS.
    We tour together on the RTS, but Twisted is an absolute HOOT to Ryde!!
    Between the two of us, we put on over 12000
    miles this year. Not too bad for Michigan!
    As I said, I LOVE them both, but for totally different reasons
    peace,
    Old Man Grizz

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Grizz View Post
    We also own a 2014 RTS. Last year my Wife sort of took"Snoopy" over, so we bought a used '09 GS Phantom for me. I have to tell you that I LOVE "Twisted" (the '09), as much as Snoopy, but for totally different reasons. Both have BaJa Ron Swaybars, Twisted got Progressive Shocks.
    When I want to go out and be a "Hot Rod", I take Twisted out for a Ryde. It's my daily driver. But every now and again, I want the total comfort of Snoopy, so I take the RTS.
    We tour together on the RTS, but Twisted is an absolute HOOT to Ryde!!
    Between the two of us, we put on over 12000
    miles this year. Not too bad for Michigan!
    As I said, I LOVE them both, but for totally different reasons
    peace,
    Old Man Grizz
    Thanks Old Man Grizz. What you have done, is sort of what I have planned. I am leaning in that direction, and only need someone to buy my M109 and I will make it happen.

Spyder Garage

One more question that I have. After checking some of the specs. There appears to be another significant change between the earlier GS/RSS, and the later ones. I know about things such as the handle bars, rims, engine, etc. But to my surprize, somewhere between 2011 & 2014 (2 of the books that I have), the newer bikes picked up about 100 pounds. The earlier ones were noted as being 699 lb. dry, and the later ones were 799 lb. dry. What happened?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A little of this and that added to the weight. Started in 13'.
    Wheels, exhaust, more electronics, frame.
    So 13'+ gets more weight and less hp....cool huh?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi PistonBlown,

Re: After market kit available to make front shock mounts higher for improved handling.

Earlier this year I bought what I was told is the last kit to relocate the front shocks.

Pit Bull said that they would not be making anymore kits.

Just want to make sure people are not mistaken on this item.

Jerry Baumchen

Thats good to know. Martin in Australia is still selling them at the moment, not sure if thats old pit bull ones that he has in stock or something made locally.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

So RS's have got fatter and slower as the years have gone by - I can relate to that:-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post

I'm actually wondering if a significant portion of the 100 pound weight gain has been caused by NOT letting the marketing department play around with the specifications...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm actually wondering if a significant portion of the 100 pound weight gain has been caused by NOT letting the marketing department play around with the specifications...
    You've brought that up before. It's funny how some of you will spread silly tales and stories to believe what you want. Weigh them, you'll be surprised. [emoji106]

Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-22-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi DrewNJ,

Re: It's funny how some of you will spread silly tales and stories to believe what you want.

^^^^^ That is the understatement of the day.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I had a pair of stock RSs to throw on the scales: I've got the scales available!
    If you've weighed them: 'fess up! what are the REAL numbers?
    The reason that I keep mentioning marketing, is that I've seen how they'll lie about the actual weights of snowmobiles, ATVs, and even dirt-bikes.
    It's not unreasonable to assume that they might be playing the same tricks with these weights...