Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 vs 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If I had a pair of stock RSs to throw on the scales: I've got the scales available! [emoji106]
    If you've weighed them: 'fess up! what are the REAL numbers?
    The reason that I keep mentioning marketing, is that I've seen how they'll lie about the actual weights of snowmobiles, ATVs, and even dirt-bikes.
    It's not unreasonable to assume that they might be playing the same tricks with these weights...
    [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87] they are heavier than you'd imagine...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Of course they are! I honestly think that if I was playing "Liars Poker"; my worst nightmare, would be to play it in a roomful of marketing folks...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Angry

I had not heard that the RS(S) line was being discontinued... that bites! These were some of the best most enjoyable Spyder's ever produced for Pete's Sake! Try sticking 13 gallons (or 30 lbs) of anything in the front trunk of an F3!!! I dare ya!

The 2013 year model RS(S) had a newly designed frame, I'm guessing it's a little heavier as a result of that. My 2012 RS has over 17K miles on it now and no engine or frame problems so no idea why they "fixed" something that wasn't "broken" to begin with.

There is just no accounting for taste and brp decision making. Disappointed with BRP yet once again.

- Michael

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But you really have NO idea as to what they're working on: do you?

The RS had gotten a bit "long in the tooth", and may very well be undergoing a serious update. Fingers Crossed.gif

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Main difference - suspension.

The rss will have adjustable front shocks. My 09 Rs didn't, but it did have preload on the rear shock which was dropped on later models.

I believe the suspension was improved on later models, apart from the shocks.

Rss is generally more of a lean forward to bars than Rs. Whether this is a plus or minus is your choice.

another difference may be electronic parking brake rather than the manual pedal as on the Rs. I highly recommend the electronic 'button' version, but that's just my take.
    I have a 2008, and there are preload adjustments on the front shocks too. I didn't think they were taken off on the 2009. In fact, there were upgraded adjusters offered. When I broke the original adjuster, I went with the upgraded ones.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I have 2 people interested in my M109. Hopefully someone will make a deal before the RS that I am looking at is gone. I will definately be calling the spyder owner before making the final deal on the M109, as I still like that bike a lot. But, if the deal is ment to be, it will be.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Well, I missed the deal on the 09 spyder that I was considering
    But, today I sold the M109 (guy picking it up tomorrow), and I will be picking up my (new to me) 2012 RSS.
    Now I am trying to decided if I will be riding it back home or trailering.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very nice! Congrats! Where are you bringing it back from?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

That's a beautiful Spyder! Ride, it's way more fun than trailering!
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Well, I missed the deal on the 09 spyder that I was considering
    But, today I sold the M109 (guy picking it up tomorrow), and I will be picking up my (new to me) 2012 RSS.
    Now I am trying to decided if I will be riding it back home or trailering.
    Howfaristheride?

I picked mine up from NJ and rode it 190 miles home. Even with the Mid-Atlantic i-95 traffic it was a lot of fun. I would have been fine with 400 miles. Great way to familiarize yourself with the new bike. Of course weather and comfort level play into it!

Anyhow, congrats, cool looking bike!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Very nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    Howfaristheride?

I picked mine up from NJ and rode it 190 miles home. Even with the Mid-Atlantic i-95 traffic it was a lot of fun. I would have been fine with 400 miles. Great way to familiarize yourself with the new bike. Of course weather and comfort level play into it!

Anyhow, congrats, cool looking bike!
    Well, the weather is suppose to be in the upper 70's and low 80's for tomorrow, with sun. So I will be riding the spyder home. Looks like it will be about 165 miles. I am looking forward to picking this up, but I will be taking my airhawk pad with me just in case the seat isn't too comfortable. I will let you know how it works out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Well, the weather is suppose to be in the upper 70's and low 80's for tomorrow, with sun. So I will be riding the spyder home. Looks like it will be about 165 miles. I am looking forward to picking this up, but I will be taking my airhawk pad with me just in case the seat isn't too comfortable. I will let you know how it works out.
    Sounds perfect! It should be great. I have the comfort seat and it is terrific, the best factory seat I ever rode on.

Have fun, take photos, and get to know yuor new stead!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Well, I picked up my new (to me) 2012 RSS today. This was my first time driving the 998 V-twin motor. I must say, I was very impressed with the power. It will take some getting used to the higher RPM's on the RS in comparison to my 1330 in my 2014 RT SM6. I do like the shifting of my new SE5 better than I thought. It is crisp and easy to drive.
    I do hope that BRP has some sort of replacement in this configuration for the future. I have driven the F3 and like it, but don't think it is a good replacement for the RS. They are too different. Kind of like saying that a harley is a good replacement for a sportbike. They both have their place, and their own target audience.
    My total drive home from Roanoke, Va to Apex, NC was about 160 miles. I think my first upgrades will be a sport touring windshield, and driver floor boards. I would like cruise control, but will settle for using my cramp buster or a throttle lock for now. The stock seat is pretty good, but not made for long trips. All in all, I think I will be very happy. In the key places that I think this bike is coming up short (lack of tunes, drivers backrest, less wind protection, 6th gear, and good gas milage, ets.), I have the RT to fill those holes. The strong points here are the cornering, sound (love the Vtwin rumble), manuverability, etc. I am blessed to have both for now, and couldn't be happier.

Spyder Garage

Well, I went out on a little ride today of around 65 miles. All I can say is WOW! This RS is great! I love my RT for the longer rides, and the comforts and 1330 engine is nice, but this little Vtwin is really wicked. I know the RT will be more handy for riding 2 up and better for riding in the colder weather, but I think for the first time, I will be needing to place the RT on a trickle charger. Because, there is a new kid in town, and she loves to be ridden.