Thread: F3-T Questions

Spyder Garage

Default F3-T Questions

I ride a 2012 SE5-RT, hubby rides a 2012 Dyna Wide Glide. I love my Spyder, but hubby hates it.

Now, that being said, yesterday we stopped at local dealership so I could pick up some cleaning supplies. As we walked in we saw a '16 F3-T in red sitting out side. Hubby actually stopped and LOOKED at it. I purchased my items and on the way out he asked a sales person if he could look at the F3. To say I dropped my jaw was an understatement. We spoke with the sales person for over 45 minutes. Hubby told him everything he hated about my machine. The sales person showed him the differences between the two. THEN Hubby sat on the F3 and said he really liked it. I was in total shock. He even liked the color. We didn't have time for a test ride and will be going back soon. He told the sales person that he thought the Harley would be his last bike, but maybe not now after looking at the F3.

My questions are what can I do to make sure his test ride is a pleasant one. He is a large man, 300# and 6'1. Is it easy for the dealership to set up the ride for his weight? (I know the floorboards and handle bars are easily changed) I was thinking I should ride it first, then him. He has been riding 2 wheels for 52 years and has a hard time with mine. I have explained many times about riding a Can Am and how I corner and such and to NOT man handle the machine. He must have asked 50 questions about the difference between mine and the F3 and the sales person did a wonderful job with his answers. I don't know what type of windshield that was on the F3. I had read about head wobble at higher speeds. Are there any concerns about wind?? I know he will look for the negatives and I want to make sure he has a good test ride. Any suggestions?

There have been times he wouldn't go riding because his knee hurts or his arthritis in his foot is bad. (crushed in an accident) I point out that if he had 3 wheels he wouldn't have these worries. Mostly he worries about if the Harley goes wonky he wouldn't be able to keep it up right because of his foot and knee. If it looks like it might rain, it's cold etc....

Any ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated. I so badly want him on 3 wheels, but, he really dislikes mine. He even suggested we get two, but I like mine to much.

Thank you in advance.

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

I'd say the most important thing is his expectations. A Spyder is not a motorcycle but it does offer a similar open air experience.

Often long term motorcycle riders struggle with the differences and handling. If you understand it isn't a motorcycle going into the experience, most likely have a much more enjoyable experience.

I have both, motorcycle and Spyder. I definitely cannot ride my motorcycle around the yard (sand) or back into parking spaces. I also don't get arm cramp from traffic.

Pros and cons to everything, but most importantly, relax and have fun riding.

Hope that helps, Robert

Spyder Garage

It sounds like he's already sold on the F3 T. Just let him ride it without you riding it first (it's a man thing). He's getting older and needed something to get his attention, besides you.

Trust me, he knows all about the Spyder because of you. Now it's his turn. I'd introduce him to the F3 Limited.

Good luck.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does he have any experience riding snowmobiles, or ATVs? They actually corner and handle pretty close to how the Spyder feels...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If the demo model is the SM6 - manual transmission, the shifting is the same as on a motorcycle (left hand clutch and and left foot); if it's the SE6 - semi-automatic, all the shifting is done with your left THUMB! The biggest hurdle would probably be the difference in steering which is more like a car, you steer in the direction you wish to go, rather than the counter-steering done on two wheels.
    p.s. I love by 2016 F3-T

Liz / Calgary
    2016 F3-T, shorty mods only
    2016 F3-T , black

Spyder Garage

It sounds like the hook is half set. 50 questions and 45 minutes is way more than a casual look. If he goes back for the test ride--plan on becoming a two family.

He should go by himself on the ride. at 300#, he is near the max comfort load for a good ride. I don't think a passenger aboard would enhance the ride for him.

At the end of the ride, if there is a big smile on his face, he has succumbed to the "force."

Good Luck and please let us know the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    It sounds like he's already sold on the F3 T. Just let him ride it without you riding it first (it's a man thing). He's getting older and needed something to get his attention, besides you.

Trust me, he knows all about the Spyder because of you. Now it's his turn. I'd introduce him to the F3 Limited.

Good luck.
    Thank you for "man thing". I am trying to play it cool, but I am so excited he is showing actual interest!

You are right he knows how much I love mine and often tells people that. I just worry (it's a wife thing)

Thank you for your logic and kind words!

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Does he have any experience riding snowmobiles, or ATVs? They actually corner and handle pretty close to how the Spyder feels...

We both have ATV's. I "suggested" how to ride it when we purchased them, but you can imagine how that went over. Thank you for that suggestion!

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Default Done this....

Having just done this for exactly the same reasons (coming from 2 wheels due to bad knees), and at the same weight but 6'7", here are my gotchas and recommendations from my test ride, for what it's worth, Lori.

I would definitely recommend they set the foot position to a #3 or 4 for him at 6'1". The stock bars should be fine for the test ride.

Make sure they adjust the rear shock to around 50psi (mine was set around 30 and it bottomed out regularly.....not pleasant.....

If it's the F3-L, warn him about the brief increase in revs as it auto changes down as this can be very disconcerting at first as you slow down for corners, lights etc.

I would also reinforce to him (or make sure the dealer does it) that the best way to corner is to push on the outside board, lean in to the corner a bit and consciously pull on the inside grip (reduces the tendency to counter steer which he has done for 50 years.) I was not told this by the dealer for my test ride, and constantly felt like I was going to be thrown off.

Assure him that if he is concerned about his knee giving way with the two wheeler, these are addressed completely on the Spyder. It was the best move ever for me.....no more looking for bits of gravel or oil that I might subconsciously put my foot in when stopping etc.......and I reckon the Spyder is far more fun, anyway

An F4 taller/wider screen will fix all wind problems if the stock screen doesn't work for him....there are other windshield anufacturers of course......

If he doesn't like the stock seat, and many don't, don't pussyfoot around and go straight to a custom fitted Daylong to cure that issue. His 300lbs will thank you for it.

Also, if the position of the brake pedal angle bothers him with his bad foot, you can get the Lamonster RIP boards that address the bad angle and give you more foot room.

Hope some of this helps..

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It sounds like the hook is half set. 50 questions and 45 minutes is way more than a casual look. If he goes back for the test ride--plan on becoming a two family.

He should go by himself on the ride. at 300#, he is near the max comfort load for a good ride. I don't think a passenger aboard would enhance the ride for him.

At the end of the ride, if there is a big smile on his face, he has succumbed to the "force."

Good Luck and please let us know the outcome.
    I wouldn't be a passenger. I just thought since I have a Spyder I would ride it first and give my opinion? I am trying so hard not to push him....

Thank you!

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Having just done this for exactly the same reasons (coming from 2 wheels due to bad knees), and at the same weight but 6'7", here are my gotchas and recommendations from my test ride, for what it's worth, Lori.

I would definitely recommend they set the foot position to a #3 or 4 for him at 6'1". The stock bars should be fine for the test ride.

Make sure they adjust the rear shock to around 50psi (mine was set around 30 and it bottomed out regularly.....not pleasant.....

If it's the F3-L, warn him about the brief increase in revs as it auto changes down as this can be very disconcerting at first as you slow down for corners, lights etc.

I would also reinforce to him (or make sure the dealer does it) that the best way to corner is to push on the outside board, lean in to the corner a bit and consciously pull on the inside grip (reduces the tendency to counter steer which he has done for 50 years.) I was not told this by the dealer for my test ride, and constantly felt like I was going to be thrown off.

Assure him that if he is concerned about his knee giving way with the two wheeler, these are addressed completely on the Spyder. It was the best move ever for me.....no more looking for bits of gravel or oil that I might subconsciously put my foot in when stopping etc.......and I reckon the Spyder is far more fun, anyway

An F4 taller/wider screen will fix all wind problems if the stock screen doesn't work for him....there are other windshield anufacturers of course......

If he doesn't like the stock seat, and many don't, don't pussyfoot around and go straight to a custom fitted Daylong to cure that issue. His 300lbs will thank you for it.

Also, if the position of the brake pedal angle bothers him with his bad foot, you can get the Lamonster RIP boards that address the bad angle and give you more foot room.

Hope some of this helps..

Pete
    Bless you Pete. This is the info I am looking for. I changed the seat on my Rt after 600 miles with an Ultimate. I was wondering about the seat on the F3's.

The brief increase in revs scared me when I took a RT for a test ride. Good point, I never would have thought of that little quirk. I noticed the brake pedal was way different then mine, I am glad you mentioned that too. I have pointed out many times (maybe to many?) about road conditions that I don't have to worry about.

As for fun, right after I bought my RT and whooped the Harley, he tore down the motor and brought up his HP to 110 (damn Harleys). He has only ridden my around the neighbor hood and hasn't really had a chance for a long ride on it. He doesn't fit well on mine and that is all he could think of until he sat on the F3. He actually smiled! I believe he has so many preset notions because of my RT that I am hoping the F3 will change his mind.

Thank you again Pete!

Lori
    BabyBlue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete's got you covered.

As he said, make sure the dealer remembers air in the rear shock.

i had spyders for years before husband liked the f3 - he surprised me at the time. I made sure I stepped back, he chose it.

In fact he pre ordered before they got to Australia, and when it arrived I still didn't ride it - it was "his". After a few small rides, after a year, I rode the f3 on a long ride one day - oops. Now he's getting the Daytona and I will have the f3. Such a different ride to my st I just fell in love. I knew it could be an expensive ride...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BB,
    The best of luck to you and your Husband; please let us know what happens next!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Pete's got you covered.

As he said, make sure the dealer remembers air in the rear shock.

i had spyders for years before husband liked the f3 - he surprised me at the time. I made sure I stepped back, he chose it.

In fact he pre ordered before they got to Australia, and when it arrived I still didn't ride it - it was "his". After a few small rides, after a year, I rode the f3 on a long ride one day - oops. Now he's getting the Daytona and I will have the f3. Such a different ride to my st I just fell in love. I knew it could be an expensive ride...
    LOL, now I don't feel so bad. Okay, deep breath and step back, gotcha.

So far I am not hot for the F3, but who knows.

Thank you!

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

One simple thought. Suggest he handle it like a high performance quad rather than a motorcycle. If he's ridden a quad, then you've conveyed a lot of the differences with a very simple concept. Good luck.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I just made the switch from 2 wheels to the F3 T. I have had about 30 motorcycles over the years and have wrecked knees and shoulders from past football injuries. I was becoming concerned about being able to handle the 2 wheel bikes and looked into the the F 3 T. I will tell you that after riding mine about 1000 miles in the first month I am very happy with it. It has taken the knees and shoulder issues and put them on the back burner. The U Fit system is amazing and can be customized to your individual requirements. The power and performance are excellent. I will admit it has been a learning curve as you will need to forget some things from the 2 wheel bikes as they don't transfer over. So far I am very happy with the switch and look forward to more riding .

Good luck

Spyder Garage

Default I remeber my first Spyder ride

After 40 years on two wheels, (0man that sounds long), my first ride on a Spyder I thought I was going to fall off. First there is no hip movement for balance. No leaning for corners, counter steering. It definitely is not the same kind of ride as a two wheeler, not even close. Don't expect it to be. It does take time to get used to. And he will no longer have to look at the license plate at bike night to tell which H.D. is his if he gets a F3-T.

Chris
    Last edited by No 2817; 10-20-2016 at 04:56 AM.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    I'd say the most important thing is his expectations. A Spyder is not a motorcycle but it does offer a similar open air experience.

Often long term motorcycle riders struggle with the differences and handling. If you understand it isn't a motorcycle going into the experience, most likely have a much more enjoyable experience.

I have both, motorcycle and Spyder. I definitely cannot ride my motorcycle around the yard (sand) or back into parking spaces. I also don't get arm cramp from traffic.

Pros and cons to everything, but most importantly, relax and have fun riding.

Hope that helps, Robert
    Let's see the Spyder has a MOTOR, it is a tricycle, put them together it is a MOTORCYCLE!! It is not a BIKE! Though we sometimes mistakenly refer to it as a "BIKE." But make no mistake it is a motorcycle. The best thing you can do is have them adjust the F3 to the 4 or 5 position for your husband. If they have the U-FIT model on site that can help as at least he can sit on that and see how it will feel. Most of the time the F3T comes from the factory with the 3 setting for people of average height (5'8") so he may feel a bit cramped on the test ryde. He will fall in love with the motor and the transmission though! I think it will impress him. Let us know!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it really important what you call them?
    I just call mine, "FUN"!

Spyder Garage

They call me Big B for a reason. 6' and well over 350. I have an F3-T and it is a great ride.
    I.might tweak the foot pegs and I added cushy foam grips but I ride as close to stock as when I bought it. We get whipping hard winds in SoCal and they haven't bugged my ride one bit. Let him ride it a bit and he will get the joy of the ride. The F3-T is a great ride.