Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST SE5 needs rear tire

After reading several threads here and in other Spyder sites, i purchased a Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50-15 and took it to Ride Now for installation. The mechanice brought me to the shop to show me that the tire was too big and would rub on the tire cover. Two local friends have this tire but their bikes are RTs and looking at one that was next to mine in the shop, they do have more room So i'm back home with a bald tire and need to start all over again.

Suggestions MUCH appreciated as i'm a newbie!
    Reagan in Phoenix, AZ

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE WILL FIT

I put that size tire on my GS and RSS ..... but you have to shim the fender just a bit...... I used the gray plastic plumbing pipe that is used under your sink... it's 1/4 inch I.D. and fits nicely on the bolts that attach the fender to the frame ...... 1/4 to 3/8 inch should be fine...... make sure your wires are secure and will not touch the tire ........ Let us know how this works out ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I put that size tire on my GS and RSS ..... but you have to shim the fender just a bit...... I used the gray plastic plumbing pipe that is used under your sink... it's 1/4 inch I.D. and fits nicely on the bolts that attach the fender to the frame ...... 1/4 to 3/8 inch should be fine...... make sure your wires are secure and will not touch the tire ........ Let us know how this works out ...... Mike
    Mike i wish i could use the tire because it looks awesome and has GR8 reviews. Unfortunately, i cannot do the installation myself and i'm sure the shop at Ride Now (dealer) won't want to do any modifications. Thanks for your input, though

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    After reading several threads here and in other Spyder sites, i purchased a Kumho Ecsta AST 225/50-15 and took it to Ride Now for installation. The mechanice brought me to the shop to show me that the tire was too big and would rub on the tire cover. Two local friends have this tire but their bikes are RTs and looking at one that was next to mine in the shop, they do have more room So i'm back home with a bald tire and need to start all over again.

Reagan in Phoenix, AZ
    I have installed this tire on several GS and RS spyders and no rub issue at all. They do look too big until aired up.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default I do have one...

Reagan in Phoenix, AZ

Hi,

I do have one on my ST 2013. My wife has one on her RS 2012. My daugter has one on her RSS 2014, and my son in law has a Proxies4 225/50R15 on his RSS 2013. They do fit easily and nicely. They are all far from rubbing anywhere......

Richard

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default .... search my previous post...

Reagan in Phoenix, AZ
    ...on tire ...... there is some feed back from peoples having done the switch..... search on Kumho AST.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE ISSUES

Reagan in Phoenix, AZ
    Actually your issue is with who your dealer is ....... not the tire size .....Sorry ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!!

thank you everybody for all the comments. i think i agree that maybe the dealer saw an older female (that's me ) and talked me out of a great tire. oh well, now i know better for the next time! Reagan

Spyder Garage

Default ARIZONA SPYDER OWNERS

thank you everybody for all the comments. i think i agree that maybe the dealer saw an older female (that's me ) and talked me out of a great tire. oh well, now i know better for the next time! Reagan
    Goldie , I think it s*cks that you seem to have been treated this way ...... I hope some Arizona Spyder folks read this and reach out to you and give you a hand with this ....... if I were closer I would ..... Mike in Vermont

Spyder Garage

Goldie , I think it s*cks that you seem to have been treated this way ...... I hope some Arizona Spyder folks read this and reach out to you and give you a hand with this ....... if I were closer I would ..... Mike in Vermont
    ah, you're very kind and sweet. come on, move to Phoenix, our "winters" rock!!
    i've learned quite a bit thru this experience though and i'm glad to have found this website!
    Blessings Mike,
    Reagan in Phoenix

Spyder Garage

I just today bought this same tire for my 13 St Limited......gonna have it mounted Saturday.

The Kenda on the rear only gave me 9100 miles.
    Anxious to see how the kumho performs!

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire

ah, you're very kind and sweet. come on, move to Phoenix, our "winters" rock!!
    i've learned quite a bit thru this experience though and i'm glad to have found this website!
    Blessings Mike,
    Reagan in Phoenix
    Goldie, be aware we will never suggest anything or mod that knowing put anyone in harm's way. The Kuhmo tire has been ran on my wife's bike for more than 8,000 miles, no problems. I just finished a 1100 mile trip with the same tire, perfect.

Just ask, everyone will try to help. Yes, Arizonia winters are the greatest, my mother lived in Safford, until her death. Love the state.

Good Luck, take care.

Spyder Garage

Well, thanks to y'all my next tire, hopefully in another 10,000 miles, WILL BE a Kumho. (Not the one I purchased this week. I returned it this morning and got all my moola back)

Spyder Garage

Default MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLA

Well, thanks to y'all my next tire, hopefully in another 10,000 miles, WILL BE a Kumho. (Not the one I purchased this week. I returned it this morning and got all my moola back)
    Glad to hear this ...... ( have you heard from that other person yet ???? ).......... Mike

Spyder Garage

( have you heard from that other person yet ???? ).......... Mike
    No, I haven't yet. Do you know her personally or just thru spyderlovers?

Spyder Garage

Default THAT PERSON

No, I haven't yet. Do you know her personally or just thru spyderlovers?
    Just thru Spyderlovers ....... I did contact Her via a PM and She sounded excited to meet you ..... I don't know what happened since ...... You could PM Her if you haven't already .... or not ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Pampurs

Hi Goldie,

Hook up with Pampurs----- She is in your area and is a good person and good resource on the

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Any Spyderlovers activities in the Las Vegas area?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk