Spyder Garage

Default Taking the MSF 3-Wheel Course.

I know this is technically a rule violation, but my wife isn't big into forums, so said I could post for her.

I'm very proud of Mrs. JVB for her graduating the three wheel MSF class with a nearly perfect score! Not only that, but she did the first full day in the storm from hurricane Matthew! Awesome job honey!

By the way, in VA you have two different MSF classes, the regular one and the three wheel one. My wife took the three wheel one because a regular bike is difficult for her 24" inseam. Note that there were four women in the class, and all did great. Better than several of the men.

My wife is the lady in pink, 51 years old with zero motorcycle experience. (She didn't say I could say her age, but I think it is important to encourage all ages to take the class if it is available to you.)

Jim

PS Here she is as a passenger on my bike:

Spyder Garage

Looking good !!
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Default Thats awesome!

CONGRATS!!!!
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Default awesome..congrats

And hubby big kudos to you for support and bragging on "the lady in pink". I personally would like to see everyone take that course...invaluable IMHO. Hope to see you on the "trail"...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I attended the same course in May and bought my bike the end of June. Since then I have almost 5K miles, rode to Maggie Valley Spyder Adventures and while there rode the tail of the dragon. There were several women in my class that now ride together. Some with a lot of 2 wheel experience some with none, like your wife. PM me if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help you and your wife any way I can. There are a bunch of us riding this Saturday meeting in Fairfax and taking back roads to Winchester, stopping for lunch, and whatever else we want to do. Its all about the ryde. :-)
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Marcy! I sent Dina, my wife, this thread. She loves that other ladies are into the sport. I suspect that, once we pick up her Spyder, she will have questions. I hope to encourage her to participate here.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a lot of experience with Spyder's I highly recommend you do much of your research on this Forum. There are good and bad points with just about every bike and the folks here are very knowledgeable. My only advise is make sure she really likes it and is comfortable or she won't ride it as much. Good Luck.
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
    If you don't have a lot of experience with Spyder's I highly recommend you do much of your research on this Forum. There are good and bad points with just about every bike and the folks here are very knowledgeable. My only advise is make sure she really likes it and is comfortable or she won't ride it as much. Good Luck.

I am obsessive about new stuff, so you can count on it. I also do maintenance videos for BMW motorcycles, and have nearly half a million motorcycle miles. My wife is counting on me to make sure she is comfortable and safe. I take that very seriously!

Thanks for your help, and I am sure she will come out with your group once she gets enough practice to be comfortable and safe on the Spyder.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Glad you could find the good folks over here, Jim... Dina will love her Spyder, I'm sure of it.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to Mrs. JVB.

(And I don't think you violated any rules.)
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Glad you could find the good folks over here, Jim... Dina will love her Spyder, I'm sure of it.
    Thanks for the reference Dave! Seems like a great place!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    to Mrs. JVB.

(And I don't think you violated any rules.)
    Thanks! Mrs. JVB didn't mind the post, even mentioning her age!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

I envy you that you had a course where you live. There is not any in upstate NY. Anyway, I got my Spyder this past March and I am loving every minute of it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Liecha View Post
    I envy you that you had a course where you live. There is not any in upstate NY. Anyway, I got my Spyder this past March and I am loving every minute of it
    Definitely lucky! The class made it possible for my wife. I'm not sure either would have survived me trying to teach her!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

My wife doesn't play around. We drove 185 miles to NJ to pick up this 2013 Spyder ST-S from a forum member. David was great, and even replaced the battery and filled the tank for us!

195 miles today, mostly me. 5 near misses, like I was invisible. Never seen anything like it. One nearly mashed me between himself and the Jersey barrier at 60 mph.

It took me all of 5 minutes to get reasonably comfortable with it, a half an hour to settle in. Upwards of 80 mph on the open road. The bike ran great. Pieces of advice I received that worked were, loose grip, 90% fixed any issues. Find the brake, the one really near miss I was hunting for the brake. Push the bar opposite the turn. This took practice to get smooth, but really worked.

Once we got home Dina jumped on the back and we went to the MSF range for a few minutes. She mastered it almost immediately.

Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Very Nice . PM me when she feels ready to meet the ladies riding group. Where are you guys located? We are all over NOVA, if she is more comfortable just local riding with someone I'm sure we can make that happen. Welcome to the family. You guys will have tons of fun.
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
    Very Nice . PM me when she feels ready to meet the ladies riding group. Where are you guys located? We are all over NOVA, if she is more comfortable just local riding with someone I'm sure we can make that happen. Welcome to the family. You guys will have tons of fun.
    Thanks Marcy. Local is likely for a short while. Maybe you and her could meet an talk?

We live a block from the Alexandria campus of NOVA.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Took 3 Wheeled Course in PA

I took the 3 wheeled MSP course in PA this spring. As a PA resident it is free. It was 2 days classroom and 2 days on the course. It was great experience and I highly recommend it! At age 55 and being a newbie I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. There was a guy who was 76 years old in my class! A few things they teach you in class such as sudden stop and swerving has been important to me as I had to use them in real life riding. CONGRATULATIONS! A side note, I took the class and if I passed I got my motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license with a 3wheeled exemption (yes I passed)
    Last edited by crafty; 10-24-2016 at 05:11 PM.

2015 RT-S Special Series
    Ultimate Seats-Tall boy with backrest and chrome gas door, Extended brake pedal, Tall Windshield, brushed chrome replaced with shiny chrome, Baja Ron anti-sway bar, Tri Axis handlebar, Rivco highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust, ISCI hand brake, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Rivco Trunk mounted double flag holder for American Flag and PA State Flag, Magic Mirrors, Can Am Accessories hitch

Spyder Garage

On the course and the new bike!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!