Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ronm View Post
    Last choice to make is the 2016 Intense red or the 2017 charcoal

ron

I just picked up my 2016 Intense Red RT Limited 4 days ago. I try to get out as much as I can before I have to put it to bed for the snow.
    For me, in my opinion, it was a no-brainer on which year to go for.
    Personally, I wanted RED, which is no longer available on the 2017 model. Even if it was, the only difference between the 16s and 17s is that the 2017 comes with the upgraded Zumo 590 GPS, while the 2016 comes with the discontinued/older model Zumo 660 GPS.
    But the MAIN deciding factor is that the 2016s now offer a sweet purchase incentive of either $2000 off, or $1400 off with an extra 2 years added onto the original warranty (which is the option I chose).
    No incentives on the 2017s as they're the current model year.

Either way, enjoy your ride, and be safe.

SuperDave_GPS
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    SuperDave_GPS

"Rosie"
    2016 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave_GPS View Post
    I just picked up my 2016 Intense Red RT Limited 4 days ago. I try to get out as much as I can before I have to put it to bed for the snow.
    For me, in my opinion, it was a no-brainer on which year to go for.
    Personally, I wanted RED, which is no longer available on the 2017 model. Even if it was, the only difference between the 16s and 17s is that the 2017 comes with the upgraded Zumo 590 GPS, while the 2016 comes with the discontinued/older model Zumo 660 GPS.
    But the MAIN deciding factor is that the 2016s now offer a sweet purchase incentive of either $2000 off, or $1400 off with an extra 2 years added onto the original warranty (which is the option I chose).
    No incentives on the 2017s as they're the current model year.

Either way, enjoy your ride, and be safe.

SuperDave_GPS

I agree with that !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ronm View Post
    Last choice to make is the 2016 Intense red or the 2017 charcoal

ron
    Terrible choice to have to make. I've seen both. My choice would be one of each
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only question that I believe went unanswered was the brake pedal position.

this was a concern of mine when I got it but soon got very used to it.

for the f3 if you prefer, you could get the RIP boards from Lamonster Garage and supposedly this puts your foot and the pedal in a much better position.

Happy Ryding!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

This thread has been interesting. I did read the Do's and Dont's, and found them informative. I have a few hundred thousand miles on two wheel bikes, and currently ride my BMW R1200GS to work daily. I hope to pick up my wife's new to her Spyder ST-S on Sunday, and ride it home for her. The trip is 180 miles of mostly highway and some back roads and towns. The plan is to ride it around the town I am picking it up in, then stop for lunch, then hit the freeway home through Philly, Baltimore and then to DC. This thread has made me a but nervous about the ride because, though I have lots of two wheel experience, I have zero on three.

For those who made the transition, or who ride both a Spyder and a Motorcycle, was the initial experience that much of a shock, and was it that difficult? I'm going to do it anyhow, but am curious about your experiences.

Thanks,
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default A woman's perspective!

The most fun you can have and still have your clothes on!!!

I've been on motorcycles all my life (a long time!). I rode a Honda Rebel for a while (but it has been a long time ago) and fell in love with having the control as opposed to being a co-rider on a big Goldwing (the last 25 years). (Life member of GWRRA and a message board moderator)

So, I decided it was time (before time ran out) that I took the plunge again and took control. I bought my 2016 Spyder RT Limited after only seeing a picture, but after seeing a friend's 2014 Spyder RT Limited and knew instantly that I had to have one. I bought my blue RT Limited but I did not ride it for a full week (until I had time to go get insurance). The first day I rode it I decided I could handle it (albeit slowly). I have now been riding for a month with 1600 miles on the odometer in 3 weekends and I am in love. Yes, many new things to learn but I know I have the confidence to learn sensibly and safely. My advice for anyone who is serious about buying a Spyder-is do it!!

I've had a couple of obstacles to overcome. The first is that I am a woman. The second is that I am only 4 foot 9 1/2 inches tall. The last is I am over 65 years old (don't look much over 50 and certainly do not act it either). The plus on all of this is that I have been on motorcycles since I was a little girl; I was fortunate that my big brother loved motorcycles and he loved taking me riding. I rode my Spyder the first 3 weeks sitting as close to the top of the front of the seat because my arms did not reach the handlebars while sitting back in the seat. I researched the spacers and found they were just too expensive. So I had a "custom" backrest made to fit my back and attached it to the back of the stock backrest. AHHHHHH, now I am so comfortable as I would be sitting on my couch and I can now reach the handlebars with ease. The journey and adventures continue as well as the fun and memories. I've been on an overnight trip and 2 weekends full of over 400 miles per day. This weekend I will again go on an overnight trip and pack my Spyder appropriately. I even ride my Spyder to work and my boss (minister) just grins at me and admires me for my independence and wishes he could be out there riding too. I'm learning more and more every day about my Spyder and how to take care of the maintenance.

Last edited by Chiisai; 10-20-2016 at 10:25 PM. Reason: taking out unwanted/un needed text
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiisai View Post
    The most fun you can have and still have your clothes on!!!

I've been on motorcycles all my life (a long time!). I rode a Honda Rebel for a while (but it has been a long time ago) and fell in love with having the control as opposed to being a co-rider on a big Goldwing (the last 25 years). (Life member of GWRRA and a message board moderator)

So, I decided it was time (before time ran out) that I took the plunge again and took control. I bought my 2016 Spyder RT Limited after only seeing a picture, but after seeing a friend's 2014 Spyder RT Limited and knew instantly that I had to have one. I bought my blue RT Limited but I did not ride it for a full week (until I had time to go get insurance). The first day I rode it I decided I could handle it (albeit slowly). I have now been riding for a month with 1600 miles on the odometer in 3 weekends and I am in love. Yes, many new things to learn but I know I have the confidence to learn sensibly and safely. My advice for anyone who is serious about buying a Spyder-is do it!!

I've had a couple of obstacles to overcome. The first is that I am a woman. The second is that I am only 4 foot 9 1/2 inches tall. The last is I am over 65 years old (don't look much over 50 and certainly do not act it either). The plus on all of this is that I have been on motorcycles since I was a little girl; I was fortunate that my big brother loved motorcycles and he loved taking me riding. I rode my Spyder the first 3 weeks sitting as close to the top of the front of the seat because my arms did not reach the handlebars while sitting back in the seat. I researched the spacers and found they were just too expensive. So I had a "custom" backrest made to fit my back and attached it to the back of the stock backrest. AHHHHHH, now I am so comfortable as I would be sitting on my couch and I can now reach the handlebars with ease. The journey and adventures continue as well as the fun and memories. I've been on an overnight trip and 2 weekends full of over 400 miles per day. This weekend I will again go on an overnight trip and pack my Spyder appropriately. I even ride my Spyder to work and my boss (minister) just grins at me and admires me for my independence and wishes he could be out there riding too. I'm learning more and more every day about my Spyder and how to take care of the maintenance.

My 4'10" 52 year old wife would love to meet you! Inspirational!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiisai View Post
    I've had a couple of obstacles to overcome. The first is that I am a woman. The second is that I am only 4 foot 9 1/2 inches tall. The last is I am over 65 years old (don't look much over 50 and certainly do not act it either).
    I sure don't see being a woman as an obstacle, the more ladies riding the better! It helps keep the guys in line.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Another Woman's perspective

I am 55 years old and I took the MSP for 3 wheelers class to get my endorsement. There was a guy who was 76 in the class! I tried 2 wheels at 54 and couldn't master it. I always rode 2 up with my husband. I got the Spyder and have put a lot of miles on my bike this year! I Love love my spyder. It took a little getting used to at the beginning. The triaxis handlebar and the ultimate seat and the extended brake pedal helped me because I am only 5'3".

2015 RT-S Special Series
    Ultimate Seats-Tall boy with backrest and chrome gas door, Extended brake pedal, Tall Windshield, brushed chrome replaced with shiny chrome, Baja Ron anti-sway bar, Tri Axis handlebar, Rivco highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust, ISCI hand brake, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Rivco Trunk mounted double flag holder for American Flag and PA State Flag, Magic Mirrors, Can Am Accessories hitch

Spyder Garage

Default Your choice

As others have said there is a relearning curve. You will pick up without problems. Either choice is great. Welcome and you will enjoy your . Hard to pass up the cash off or extra warranty .
    Ranman42