Thread: Shock problems

Spyder Garage

Default Shock problems

I have a 2013 sts. My right front shock is making a squeaking noise. I don't know if it is bad it doesn't seem to be. I greased it didn't help it is driving me crazy. What can I do is it bad ? Has this happened to any body else?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SQUEAKING SHOCK

How do you know it's the shock that is squeaking ? ? ?..... What did you put grease on to stop the squeak ? ? ?....... IMHO I think it's something else ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Where exactly did you grease Jbax?? There's not usually much on a shock that needs or allows greasing so much as just general cleaning, so it could be that by adding grease to the wrong spot it's now gathering more dirt etc & making any squeak worse!! Generally, squeaks in this sort of suspension will come from the ball joints & suspension arm bushes rather than the shocks & springs, and if there's looseness or excess movement in the 'A' arm bushes or the ball joints that's making the noise, then the offending component may need grease, tightening, or possibly even new bushes/replacement. But the shocks themselves only have one bolt & bush assy at each end that really shouldn't squeak at all (maybe dead bushes might rattle or clunk tho?); and of course there's the moving shock shaft & top seal that operates the piston & valving inside the shock tube - but if the shock internals are squeaking it's likely time for a re-build (if that shock can be rebuilt!) or a replacement, altho you should probably replace both left & right front shocks as a pair! So going on from Mike's post just a little, it'll probably take a little more definite 'noise identification & location' to enable us to give a more specific idea of what might be the specific cause of your particular squeak - sorry...

There again, Squeaks & rattles aren't at all unusual on things with moving mechanical components, especially if they get exposed to wear & weather & road grime & lots of cleaning agents etc like most of our Spyder front ends do, but 'proper' lubrication & maintenance usually keeps the squeaks & rattles to a minimum & generally rapidly identifies any that you need to worry about - altho there will likely be some that are of little concern & just are!! Just a thought tho, you haven't been 'over-zealous' in cleaning things, have you?? I ask since there are a lot of moving bits in Spyder front ends that rely on the nature of their supporting bushes to provide lubrication, & excessive cleaning with anything other than plain water can purge these sorts of bushes & seals of the lubricating agents in their composition, so if you've cleaned your Spyder too much with Hi-pressure sprayers, de-greasers, or any other astringent agents, some bushes etc can end up 'drying out' & squeaking when they shouldn't. But even so, it might just be that this particular squeak is simply a part of owning a Spyder that's been subjected to however many miles you've done on it?!......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. I will check it out more. I greased the arms and I sprayed grease in a can on the shock bushing and the noise never quit. I only have 12000 miles on the bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jbax View Post
    Thanks for the information. I will check it out more. I greased the arms and I sprayed grease in a can on the shock bushing and the noise never quit. I only have 12000 miles on the bike.
    You greased the A-Arms with a zerk and grease gun, correct?

I agree with others here. You definitely don't want to grease anything on your shocks. They are an unlikely source for your squeak anyway. And depending on what kind of grease you used, you can actually damage rubber components. Not to mention attracting grit which could cause further damage to your shocks.

If you could get someone to rock your Spyder back and forth (producing the squeak) while you try to locate exactly where it is coming from, that might help you.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SQUEAKING SHOCK

Another thought ...... remove the shock from the equation , with some help take the right shock and right tire/wheel off ...... now move the suspension up and down and see if you hear any noise ...... if you don't put the tire back on and spin it and listen for sound ...... maybe this will work .... I hope it does...... Mike