Thread: 2008 ECU

Spyder Garage

Default 2008 ECU

Anyone have any experience replacing the ECU on an 08? Specifically wondering if there's a place to buy used or after market parts. I'm told the ECUs rarely fail so I'd be tempted to go used if I could find one.
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

Default ECU

Are you having trouble or just wanting a spare? There is a bike breaker on Ebay, I think the name is PinWall. He shows many parts and maybe can help.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

I also own 2008 RS and about 8 months ago I got an error message which on looking at the codes was something like Stage 2 coil failure. Checked spark on no 2 cylinder and sure enough no spark. Managed to obtain a second hand working coil and installed it, still no spark. Off to the dealer, turned out the ECM had gone out. I live in the UK so second hand parts are few and far between so a new ECM was fitted and it fired up first time. Still disappointed that the ECM went on a not very old bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sydermon View Post
    I also own 2008 RS and about 8 months ago I got an error message which on looking at the codes was something like Stage 2 coil failure. Checked spark on no 2 cylinder and sure enough no spark. Managed to obtain a second hand working coil and installed it, still no spark. Off to the dealer, turned out the ECM had gone out. I live in the UK so second hand parts are few and far between so a new ECM was fitted and it fired up first time. Still disappointed that the ECM went on a not very old bike.
    My dealer who has been a Can-Am dealer since day one told me ECU and other computer problems were quite common on old and new Can-Am Spyders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

B.S. Meter.jpg

It happens... But not as much as he is implying...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

They sell 4,000 units a year and have no reason to BS me or anyone else. The ECU and other computer problems are the most common problems they see. Auto dealerships see ECU and computer problems daily too. If Ford has common ECU problems on F-150s why wouldn't you think a small company like BRP wouldn't have the same problems. BS....I don't think so.

Spyder Garage

I replaced my ecu on 09 SE at around 5k after a limp mode. No issues and I just passed 30K this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sempyder out,