Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with tire pressure

For anyone running aftermarket front tires, specifically Kuhmo, what tire pressures are you using? Just trying to get best mileage, traction and comfort on my 2015 RTL

Spyder Garage

On my ST I had it at 22 psi maybe should have been at 20 psi. Since a RT is heavier and with 2 up a lot maybe start out at 24 psi.

Sorry misread the question. I assumed rear tire. For fronts I would start at 14 or 15 psi.
    Last edited by billybovine; 10-16-2016 at 10:36 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder33 View Post
    For anyone running aftermarket front tires, specifically Kuhmo, what tire pressures are you using? Just trying to get best mileage, traction and comfort on my 2015 RTL
    I've posted in detail about a dozen times about this ...... the short version is ...... On the Spyder , ANY car tire needs much LESS PSI to work it's best.....especially if it's WET ..... the SIPES need to FLEX to be most effective........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm running 24 psi in my RT.
    I used to run 28psi; when I still had the Kenda...
    I could probably drop down to 22 psi... but I start getting nervous (For no apparent reason! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default LOW PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I could probably drop down to 22 psi... but I start getting nervous (For no apparent reason! )
    ................Remember awhile back I posted I accidently had my Michelin ( rear ) down to 8 psi and it didn't fall off ..... Trust me and Peter Awaaen ( Australia ) ...... It will work way better at 20-21 psi ........ your tire can handle a ...4000 lb car !!!!!!!! .............. what is the worst thing that can happen at 21psi ????????........ NOTHING ..................This is the SAD thing, if LaMonster said He did it , you would probably break a leg running to your garage to do this ............. and He isn't the EXPERT on this. My qualifications give that one to me ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-15-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike, Mike, Mike...
    I've never said that you're not right: I'm just saying that I've been able to drop a couple of pounds out of mine, yet still remain comfortable with the decision!

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Mike, Mike, Mike...
    I've never said that you're not right: I'm just saying that I've been able to drop a couple of pounds out of mine, yet still remain comfortable with the decision!
    Bob, my point wasn't about right or wrong ....... it was more about how people think......... Mike

Spyder Garage

On the internet the qualification to be an expert is very low. That being said I run my Kuhmo kh16 tires at 22 lbs. and they work very well.

Spyder Garage

2012 rts Generals on front at 18 Kumo on rear at 25

Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

I run 20# In the front and 30# In the back, no problems what so ever..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default QUALIFICATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    On the internet the qualification to be an expert is very low. That being said I run my Kuhmo kh16 tires at 22 lbs. and they work very well.
    .... As is the qualification to be a dumba**, and comments about things when they are ignorant of the facts about someone's Legal qualifications, but choose to be RUDE just because it's the internet. I remember now why you are on my Ignore list .....................
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-15-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mike: Have a Snickers Bar...
    He's pretty new here, and has actually made a good point:
    If he doesn't know what your qualifications are: how can he be expected to take it at face value?
    If you're gonna give an "expert opinion": at least give the uninitiated some idea as to what your background is...
    Not everybody has been on here forever.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... As is the qualification to be a dumba**, and comments about things when they are ignorant of the facts about someone's Legal qualifications, but choose to be RUDE just because it's the internet. I remember now why you are on my Ignore list .....................
    Wasn't aware of legal qualification to offer opinions about tire pressure or assume somebody is a dumbass. I've spent over 50 years is the service of cars , motorcycles and marine so I have a basis for my opinion. One needs to bring an open mind and thick skin to the internet. If I am on your ignore list I'll assume you have niether.

Spyder Garage

Default Some people

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ................Remember awhile back I posted I accidently had my Michelin ( rear ) down to 8 psi and it didn't fall off ..... Trust me and Peter Awaaen ( Australia ) ...... It will work way better at 20-21 psi ........ your tire can handle a ...4000 lb car !!!!!!!! .............. what is the worst thing that can happen at 21psi ????????........ NOTHING ..................This is the SAD thing, if LaMonster said He did it , you would probably break a leg running to your garage to do this ............. and He isn't the EXPERT on this. My qualifications give that one to me ....... Mike
    I'm fairly new to this site. I'm really amazed at how some people treat the newbie questions and are so arrogant...it makes you not want to ask any questions..

Baja Ron sway bar w/ billet aluminum Heim links
    Spyderpops bump skid plate
    Providence USB charger
    Ram mount with X grip
    Rear trunk interior LED light and organizer
    Lamonster highway pegs
    Lamonster cat elimination pipe
    Akrapovic exhaust
    Elka stage 2 shocks front/rear
    Ultimate tall boy seat
    F4 tinted windshield w/vent
    Tricled LED trunk 3rd break light w/modulator, headlights, fog lights
    Tricled LED safety package and Tricled air horn
    Tricled laser alignment
    BRP side adjustable air deflectors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisluckey View Post
    I'm fairly new to this site. I'm really amazed at how some people treat the newbie questions and are so arrogant...it makes you not want to ask any questions..

I agree!!! A few on here see the need to be a di#k for no reason. Not all but a few; oh well, there's a lot of good info and many people willing to help here. Hangout for awhile and you will learn to over look the a**holes.

Spyder Garage

2011 RS S SE5

front tires, Bridgestone Potenza, 15 to 18 psi.

rear tire, not sure - a unidirectional highperformance car tire, 20 to 22psi.

Spyder Garage

Default Front Kumho Solus KH16s at 17 psi at 70 degrees..

Also have the OEM Kendas on my 15 RT at 17 psi cold, but had the opportunity to run one at 8-13 psi yesterday when I experienced a mid tread puncture. I was leaving Gallup headed east when I heard some road debris hit the front left tire, but didn't think anything until my FOBO alarmed and I pulled over on I-40 about 5 miles east of town. When I confirmed that the pressure was at 8.7 psi, I got out my little Stop n Go compressor and added a little air up to 13.6 and looped back on the frontage road to town, where I still had 12 psi in the tire. Even the Kenda seemed to run fine at this pressure, and 30-40 MPH speed.

When I found a helpful station and spot to work on it, I borrowed their air and proceeded to plug the mid-tread hole with a mushroom plug from the kit and then inflated it back to 25 psi for good measure. Still had 2 hrs to make Albuquerque, and made it fine with the FOBO providing live monitoring. I was going to get some new Kumho Solus's in Albuquerque as they have been great on the wifes RT, but after a 1 1/2 hour traffic jam tieup at Rio Rancho, we got to the motel after dark.
    This morning, the pressure and plug in the tire were just as I left them last night, so I released a little air down to 21 psi, and rode back 350 miles to Pueblo today.
    I'll order two new Kumho Solus's Monday, and decide when to switch out, but the plug still looks good, and still have 3/32 above the wear bars with 18,250 miles on the OEM Kendas. Glad I also got a little experience with the plug kit. I may look for a bigger compressor, since I don't think the little one in the kit will pressure up a rear tire without burning up.

Currently running as low as 23 psi in the rear tire on a 50 degree morning, which heats up to 28-29 psi at 105 degree tire temp according to FOBO. DSCN1579.jpg
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 10-15-2016 at 08:58 PM. Reason: sp
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Chrisluckey - Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head!!

Blueknight911, you call other people rude, you need to go back and read some of your posts!!! Start with this thread!
    Last edited by Michaelscs; 10-15-2016 at 07:52 PM.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default POSTING COMMENTS

Mike: Have a Snickers Bar...
    He's pretty new here, and has actually made a good point:
    If he doesn't know what your qualifications are: how can he be expected to take it at face value?
    If you're gonna give an "expert opinion": at least give the uninitiated some idea as to what your background is...
    Not everybody has been on here forever.
    Dear Bob, I think 14 months here dis-qualifies them as a NEWBIE .....AND I have posted my qualifications a few times , if I keep mentioning them over and over, I know someone is going to claim I'm BOASTING or some other nonsense........ However my point was directed at the Poster in question because He had the temerity to make His STUPID comment ..... based on ....NO KNOWLEDGE ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-16-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

....................Really ....Bob has 75,435 posts , you think He's a Newbie .......... I guess you also fit into the " un-informed but comment anyway " category .... .......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-15-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default rude language

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    Chrisluckey - Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head!!

Blueknight911, you call other people rude, you need to go back and read some of your posts!!! Start with this thread!
    Thank you for your less than kind comment ........ please read post #20 .... it applies to you also .........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default PENIS TALK !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    I agree!!! A few on here see the need to be a di#k for no reason. Not all but a few; oh well, there's a lot of good info and many people willing to help here. Hangout for awhile and you will learn to over look the a**holes.
    Thank you for your less than kind comment .........please read post #20, it also applies to you .............Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Front or Rear?

Bob,

Just to be clear, you are talking about the rear tire with those numbers, is that correct? But, the OP asked about recommended pressure for car tires on the front. I believe in Mike's reply to you, he was also thinking "rear tire". I recall when Derrick installed my new Yokohama on the rear, he recommended 20 lbs. But like you, i'm running it at 24 - also for no apparent reason except my "comfort level". Considering the load I put on that back tire (with me plus the "stuff" I carry) it seems to be performing and wareing well at that pressure.

In the front, I run with 17 in my OEM Kendas, but if I had aftermarket tires with better sidewalls, I'd probably experiment with lower numbers on the front tires.
    Last edited by robmorg; 10-15-2016 at 10:59 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Mr. Bluenight, if your qualifications put you on a level not to be questioned then perhaps they should be mandatory reading for all new members. Not trying to make an issue of it but we all put our pants the same way so we are all on equal footing and are entitled to our opinion.

Spyder Garage

Default CONFRONTATIONAL ATTITUDE

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    Mr. Bluenight, if your qualifications put you on a level not to be questioned then perhaps they should be mandatory reading for all new members. Not trying to make an issue of it but we all put our pants the same way so we are all on equal footing and are entitled to our opinion.
    My posts on this thread ( prior to yours ) had absolutely nothing to do with or about you ....... However for some reason you felt compelled to make a SNIDE remark ( which is different from an OPINION )...... So enlighten me as to why you felt that it was necessary, because I'm completely baffled ????.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-16-2016 at 12:04 AM.