Thread: Muffler

Spyder Garage

Default Muffler

Hi all,
    I recently bought a 2009 spyder, GS SE5. The guy I bought it from had an after market HMF muffler installed on it. Sounds great, except it is extremely loud and I have to almost push my spyder through my neighborhood when I am coming back home at night.
    Does anyone have a OEM muffler they want to sell or get rid of after they installed an aftermarket muffler? If not anyone has any other suggestions? I spoke with HMF and they don't recommend using their quit core to lower the sound as it may damage the muffler at higher RPMs. My only other option is to buy a new OEM muffler, but these are ridiculously expensive, close to $700!
    Thanks
    Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Joe,
    I've been running an HMF for about the last 15k miles on my RS with a homemade baffle I welded up out of an unused Harley baffle to get the tone I was looking for. I can't imagine a quiet core causing any issues....but I doubt it will lower the db much either.
    If your looking to go back to stock I'm sure someone around here has a pipe laying around for cheap. I'd give you mine for nothing but I don't know what landfill the trash guy put it in, sorry....🤔😉
    Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback DrewNJ. I'll try the quite core in the meantime to see if it will help

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even if you had to mod the core to work its still going to be better than going back to stock. If it fits it would even give you a good base to weld on other baffles as you want. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I'm not that savvy with these things but I'm sure I can find out how to do it. I just ordered the quite core from HMF. Hope it works.

Thanks again

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock Muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Joekhoury View Post
    Hi all,
    I recently bought a 2009 spyder, GS SE5. The guy I bought it from had an after market HMF muffler installed on it. Sounds great, except it is extremely loud and I have to almost push my spyder through my neighborhood when I am coming back home at night.
    Does anyone have a OEM muffler they want to sell or get rid of after they installed an aftermarket muffler? If not anyone has any other suggestions? I spoke with HMF and they don't recommend using their quit core to lower the sound as it may damage the muffler at higher RPMs. My only other option is to buy a new OEM muffler, but these are ridiculously expensive, close to $700!
    Thanks
    Joe
    I have one in Virginia Beach if you can make it out this way. I have the HMF and love the noise as well as the safety it provides though.

Spyder Garage

Default Last resort....

I do have one here in lower west end of the country. Shipping would be somewhat expensive and I am sure there are some closer to you. Hang in there and check on line ebay etc maybe even here in the for sale forum....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black