Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 questions

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    now the other question , what kind of battery tender goes with this hook up attachment ?
    I use Deltran Battery Tender Jr.( Switches Automatically from Charge to Float).

I have been using it for 4 years. Can be used on Motorcycles, Cars, Lawn tractors, ATVs, Snowmobiles, Boats.

It has Reverse polarity protection ensures safety, Spark proof, 12 ft. output cord, Weight:1 lb., Size: 3.5/16X 2 5/16 X 1 7/8 Plastic enclosure, Input: 115Vac@ 60Hz, Output: 12Vdc @ 750 mA.

Batteries are constantly maintained and ready to go!

12 Volt 750 mA

My current spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 10-13-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    The tank is still vented, condensation will still form and be absorbed by the alcohol causing phase separation of the gasoline.

Granted that we don't have all the carb parts to be clogged up by ethanol gunk, the gas is still subject to phase separation. The longer it sets the worse your bike will run, if at all, when you come out of storage.

It is even more critical to fill the tank now. The greater the area of open steel tank, the more condensation will form. More water to combine with the ethanol.

Whether it is 87 or 91 octane, E10 still has ethanol which will phase separate in your tank when stored for a long period.
    The OPs question was WRT ongoing use of the additive. Not winter storage. A fuel additive is suggested for winter storage no matter ethanol or not. But for normal use where the spyder is not sitting for months at a time, no additive is needed.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How long did it take you to figure out this?
    You were complaining about having to replace carburetors...
    It's just never going to be an issue with the Spyders.
    Keyboards don't always translate humor and since you're not into turning wrenches there is some doubt about your knowledge base.

Since you didn't seem to have understood where I was coming from, I must have been unclear. So, I will try to clear it up for the benefit of anyone who is reading this thread.

You are correct our Spyders do not have old style carbs, however, saying it will "never" be an issue would not seem to be factually correct. I pointed out my personal experience with the real world damage that can and does occur due to the modern gasoline formulas.

Gasoline is blended toward one major goal in mind (I'm not speaking about the business model and the corn lobby). Clean air. While this is commendable, I think there should be some other goals in mind, like storage and corrosiveness, etc.

You and others believe that gasoline blended with alcohol is okay, others do not. I'm sort of in the middle, but strongly leaning toward the bad idea camp.

I've personally seen, as I cited earlier, damage caused to fuel systems on motorcycles caused by modern E10 gasoline blends. Those were carburated systems and while there are significant differences, they are very similar. Similar enough in my mind to give me significant pause about the long term effects on all fuel systems.

The motorcycle garages I hang around in are seeing more and more significant damage to ALL fuel systems with the use of gasoline with alcohol blends. Here in California, for whatever reason(s) that damage has significantly increased within the last 5 years or so. What change? I have no proof, but I have a strong suspicion that with the change in Washington about 8 years ago now and the take over of federal agencies by radical environmentalists, this likely to have driven this increase in problems related to fuel blends.

I am not a petroleum engineer, just a guy who spins a lot of wrenches sometimes for money sometimes for fun and have been playing around with this stuff for over 50 years now, so this is my opinion nothing more.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    do we need to burn this in our gas tanks to beat the Ethanol and, is this a battery tender hook up? I think it is a hook up but, I am not sure. I used the Ethanol beater stuff in my FJR with every tank. It ran great until the day I traded it in on the F3-S that I now have.

No to the first question. Not needed.
    Yes to the second.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Keyboards don't always translate humor and since you're not into turning wrenches there is some doubt about your knowledge base.

Since you didn't seem to have understood where I was coming from, I must have been unclear. So, I will try to clear it up for the benefit of anyone who is reading this thread.

You are correct our Spyders do not have old style carbs, however, saying it will "never" be an issue would not seem to be factually correct. I pointed out my personal experience with the real world damage that can and does occur due to the modern gasoline formulas.

Gasoline is blended toward one major goal in mind (I'm not speaking about the business model and the corn lobby). Clean air. While this is commendable, I think there should be some other goals in mind, like storage and corrosiveness, etc.

You and others believe that gasoline blended with alcohol is okay, others do not. I'm sort of in the middle, but strongly leaning toward the bad idea camp.

I've personally seen, as I cited earlier, damage caused to fuel systems on motorcycles caused by modern E10 gasoline blends. Those were carburated systems and while there are significant differences, they are very similar. Similar enough in my mind to give me significant pause about the long term effects on all fuel systems.

The motorcycle garages I hang around in are seeing more and more significant damage to ALL fuel systems with the use of gasoline with alcohol blends. Here in California, for whatever reason(s) that damage has significantly increased within the last 5 years or so. What change? I have no proof, but I have a strong suspicion that with the change in Washington about 8 years ago now and the take over of federal agencies by radical environmentalists, this likely to have driven this increase in problems related to fuel blends.

I am not a petroleum engineer, just a guy who spins a lot of wrenches sometimes for money sometimes for fun and have been playing around with this stuff for over 50 years now, so this is my opinion nothing more.
    But modern construction methods and materials; already take into account what ethanol can do...
    It'll never harm your Spyder...

Just because I can no longer turn wrenches; it doesn't mean that I suddenly forgot everything that I ever learned...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black