Spyder Garage

Default RT SE5 "Emergency Kit" Contents?

I'm planning on carrying an "emergency kit" in my 2012 RT SE5. What should I put in it? A spare belt, a spark plug, can of oil? What am I likely to need in case of a minor glitch along the way? I'm not talking about a major breakdown...but just a hiccup sort of thing. I'm taking a 200 mile trip (each way) on Thanksgiving, and want to be prepared. There won't be a Can Am dealer for many, many miles around me, so I'd like to be prepared. What are your suggestions?

Spyder Garage

Tire patch kit with a 12vdc pump. Opinions vary on whether or not to ride on a patched tire but, since the spyder runs on auto tires, I would have no problem in patching a tire rather than interrupt a trip.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's only a 400 or so mile trip: check the oil before you leave, and leave your worries at home.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Along those lines...I was thinking during my ride the other day: what is my contingency plan when/ if I have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere?
    What is the collective opinion on this possibility?
    It's not like you can Jack up the Spyder and swap out tires!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    Along those lines...I was thinking during my ride the other day: what is my contingency plan when/ if I have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere?

Roadside assistance plan that will tow at least 100 miles. I use Ride-On in my tires. Some others here use it, some won't. I have never had any problems with using it, no complaints from techs that have swapped tires for me and it has saved me from some flats on the road.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

You are not going to be able to do much on the side of the road on these machines. I carry a mushroom plug kit with air supply, some zips, duct tape, electrical tape qt of oil, qts of gas and a power pack (antigravity) oils in the kit with an added Cresent multi tool...all that is in the frunk all the time and after 35,000 miles I have only needed to use the oil....998'so use oil... relax 400 miles round trip is a walk in the park the worst is you run over some do-do....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bring whatever you think you need.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Lotsa good feedback up there ^^

Buuut, considering your trip is only 400 miles or so return, that's only a couple of tanks of gas, you really shouldn't need to carry much at all!! So while there's good info up there, I'd suggest that loading your Spyder up with all this 'Emergency Kit' sorta gear is probably a bit self-fulfilling!! If you didn't load up quite so much, you'd probably never need any of it!! And btw, everyone I ever travel with around here calls me a 'Boy Scout' or 'the fella who taught McGuyver everything McG knows' (but I never teach anyone everything I know ) & not only do they expect me to be able to save their bacon & get them mobile again, or at least help them out - but I usually can & do!!

I work on the KISS principle - Keep It Simple S(illy, stupid, whatever... insert your word of choice here! ) plays a big part in this. How many days are you going to be away for?? Seriously, what tools are you likely to be able to use to your advantage on the side of the road during this time?? You are only going to be a days drive/tow from home anyway, so if the worst happens, couldn't you get your Spyder picked up & taken back to your locale relatively easily/cheaply?? So why worry too much?? Don't take anything you are not likely to use OR likely to be able to use - and be bloody honest with yourself here, are you seriously gonna strip the tupperware off the Spyder on the side of the road to replace a plug lead or a vacuum hose!?! Can you strip & refit a tire without a jack & only using tire levers?? I'd suggest most wouldn't or couldn't, & most of the rest wouldn't bother!!

A flat tire, yeah, you could probably fix that on the Spyder without removing the wheel, but why carry extensive repair kits with plugs, air supplies, wheel removal tools, jacks, tire levers etc when you really aren't all that likely to sit around the side of the road doing/using all that? You just want to get going again, & even if you could repair the tire with plugs etc then and there, wouldn't you want to check that it's been done properly - maybe you'd do it yourself once you get home, but I'd guess the chances are that you'll end up replacing it anyway! So get yourself a pressure pak can of tire repair foam, the stuff that seals punctures & re-inflates the tire in one go - Zoosh or whatever brand takes your fancy - if your tire's letting air out somewhere, screw the Zoosh fitting onto the valve stem & depress the button; then when thepuncture is sealed & the tire is re-inflated, remove the fitting, re-fit the valve cap, & ride on!! Takes all of 30 seconds & you're good to go for as long as it takes to reach the next service centre or even to get you home (maybe even after the rest of your 'Spyders to Alaska trip'!!) it's your choice how far you ryde on it once you've read the instructions & can make an informed decision on how long before you arrange to get a new tire fitted. OK, so there's one small pressure pak can you should put in your Emergency Kit.

What else are you likely to use - 998 motors use a bit of oil, so Orright, put in a small container of oil, a rag, & maybe one if those tiny collapsible funnels. Something might drop a screw & come loose or let your mirror flop around, or maybe the support strut on your windscreen fails cos you hadn't got the 'fix' from Noboot yet, so how do you fix that?? Add a roll of Duct Tape to your kit. Electrical gremlins attack, you probably won't be up for much more than swapping a fuse or two, so there's no need for multi-meters or elec tape (besides, duct tape works if you must!) - but a small can of Water Dispersant like WD40 or similar could be handy & maybe a power pack in case you get a flat battery. Anything else come to mind? Engine doesn't run, how about towing?? Purchase, fit, & carry a Tow-Eze kit to make that easy & avoid damaging your A arms even if your Spyder is loaded onto a flat bed. And add a small First Aid Kit - you never know when that might come in handy.

That leaves you with an 'Emergency Kit' comprised of the OE tool kit, a can of Zoosh, a can of WD40, a bottle of oil & a rag/funnel, a roll of Duct Tape, a PowerPack, & the Tow-Eze.... Plus of course your Gerber Multi-Tool (leatherman stuff is just overpriced & sooo passe these days! ) and a Credit Card - anything much else is probably overkill!!

So get out there & Ride More, Worry Less!!

Spyder Garage

I carry a patch kit with a small compressor for any flat along the trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I too carry oil, a tire plug kit, cell phone, charging cable, an adapter that allows me to use my Battery Tender pig tail to charge my phone, a first aid kit, bottle of water, Quest bar, Leatherman and spare brake light bulb.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

"Stop-N-Go" I have the patch kit and compressor. I've used "Stop-N-Go" patches on my 2 wheeler, and put thousands of miles on them afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Tow-eze kit

What is this?

Spyder Garage

Sandman, Tow-eze or Tow-eyze or any one of the numerous other names they've been given are just a kit that allows the safe pulling or towing of your Spyder to get it onto a tilt tray or up a ramp, into the nearest service centre etc when the engine's not running/it's got no drive.

They generally comprise a couple of rated eye bolts to replace the lower front shock bolts (do fit them with the eye facing forwards, it's a whole lot harder to use them if the eyes are sticking out behind the shocks!) and a strap about 12 feet or so long with a rated hook & keeper on each end, plus a loop & shackle in the middle that lets you hook a tow rope or chain onto it. the rated eye bolts stay fitted to your Spyder permanently on the bottom of the shocks, the strap with its hooks & shackle needs to be in your emergency kit & in/on your Spyder somewhere - it's not a great deal of help if you leave it at home!

Then, if your Spyder ever needs towing, you pull out your strap, slip the hooks onto the eye bolts & make sure the keepers will hold them in place, pull the strap & shackle out in front of the Spyder, & hook the tow rope or tray top winch cable onto it so that any pull applied is evenly loading up the front suspension & not damaging anything on your Spyder!!

If you don't have this or something similar, then any pulling on the front of your Spyder to tow or load it will almost certainly pull one side more than the other & will very likely bend or otherwise damage your front suspension &/or skew your wheel alignment out of whack!! Have you seen the hooks those tilt tray operators have on the end of their winches??! Fine for a car with substantial components or specifically designed towing/loading eyes, but our Spyders don't come from the factory with either of those fitted!!

Sooo, Basically, if you have, fit, & carry one of these types of towing straps/kits, it means you KNOW your Spyder is far less likely to be needlessly or carelessly damaged if it ever needs towing or even just loading onto a flat-bed or tilt tray when it can't be ridden on under its own steam! Relatively cheap insurance, & a smart way of making sure your Spyder can be moved safely if necessarily!

Spyder Garage

Default Great Ideas! Thanks Everyone!

Thanks, everyone! Those are all some very good suggestions! I'll put a "kit" together, but not a complicated one because, as many of you said, I'm not likely to be doing any major repairs along the roadside. Just the basics...many of which I carry in my pick-up. I've used the "foam" tire leak sealer/re-inflator before, and it did fine. I almost always have duct tape in my vehicle, along with a small adjustable wrench and two screwdrivers. I'll add a small can of oil, and one of WD40, and a bottle of water. When I can afford it, I'll definitely get one of those tow straps with the special eye bolts.

Thanks again for the advice, and the benefit of your experiences!

Spyder Garage

Default TOW EZE

Where would one find one of these. I would want to make sure the bolts in the shock are strong enough for replacement of the OEM bolts.
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Default compressor

What type and kind of compressor do you all keep on the Spyder ?
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    What type and kind of compressor do you all keep on the Spyder ?

I bought one from AeroStitch years ago. BestRest products, White Horse Gear or AutoZone for a Slime brand. Take your pick.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If it's only a 400 or so mile trip: check the oil before you leave, and leave your worries at home.
    Unless your Spyder is known to be using a lot of oil.

Also check your belt before you leave. I doubt you'll need to replace one along the way. My drive belt got a bit chewed up on the North-to-Alaska trip last year, but it got me home OK.

A tire kit would be more useful use space. I got one from Wal-Mart and it includes a compressor and goo.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    I got one from Wal-Mart and it includes a compressor and goo.
    Not sure what your goo is, but green slime is corrosive.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sandman, Tow-eze or Tow-eyze or any one of the numerous other names they've been given are just a kit that allows the safe pulling or towing of your Spyder to get it onto a tilt tray or up a ramp, into the nearest service centre etc when the engine's not running/it's got no drive.

They generally comprise a couple of rated eye bolts to replace the lower front shock bolts (do fit them with the eye facing forwards, it's a whole lot harder to use them if the eyes are sticking out behind the shocks!) and a strap about 12 feet or so long with a rated hook & keeper on each end, plus a loop & shackle in the middle that lets you hook a tow rope or chain onto it. the rated eye bolts stay fitted to your Spyder permanently on the bottom of the shocks, the strap with its hooks & shackle needs to be in your emergency kit & in/on your Spyder somewhere - it's not a great deal of help if you leave it at home!

Then, if your Spyder ever needs towing, you pull out your strap, slip the hooks onto the eye bolts & make sure the keepers will hold them in place, pull the strap & shackle out in front of the Spyder, & hook the tow rope or tray top winch cable onto it so that any pull applied is evenly loading up the front suspension & not damaging anything on your Spyder!!

If you don't have this or something similar, then any pulling on the front of your Spyder to tow or load it will almost certainly pull one side more than the other & will very likely bend or otherwise damage your front suspension &/or skew your wheel alignment out of whack!! Have you seen the hooks those tilt tray operators have on the end of their winches??! Fine for a car with substantial components or specifically designed towing/loading eyes, but our Spyders don't come from the factory with either of those fitted!!

Sooo, Basically, if you have, fit, & carry one of these types of towing straps/kits, it means you KNOW your Spyder is far less likely to be needlessly or carelessly damaged if it ever needs towing or even just loading onto a flat-bed or tilt tray when it can't be ridden on under its own steam! Relatively cheap insurance, & a smart way of making sure your Spyder can be moved safely if necessarily!

Great ideas and well communicated in this thread, good job. Question: Is this bolt a common part in a home depot or lowe's store? What size, strength, etc. is required? Just curios if you have some specs to share, thanks.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

They should be fairly readily available, but since they are rated Hi-Tensile stuff, the eye bolts & shackles etc as well as the strap itself, they may not be in your local hardware store. I got the kit from 'Tripod' on the OzSpyderRyders Forum here in Aus, & I think they are available from http://www.wespydservices.com too. I'll do some digging, but in the meantime, here's a pic of the lower shock fitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    They should be fairly readily available, but since they are rated Hi-Tensile stuff, the eye bolts & shackles etc as well as the strap itself, they may not be in your local hardware store. I got the kit from 'Tripod' on the OzSpyderRyders Forum here in Aus, & I think they are available from http://www.wespydservices.com too. I'll do some digging, but in the meantime, here's a pic of the lower shock fitting.
    Very smart idea. Havent seen that here. [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I agree with most of the recommendations, above, but have one to add. Get the smallest container of DOT4 Brake Fluid you can find. Sometimes the RT will throw a brake error message at you, as the brakes wear. The sensors in the master cylinder are extremely sensitive and just a small drop in the level can set them off - even when the fluid level appears full when looking at the master cylinder. When that happens, you can clear the error with just a slight amount of brake fluid. In 25000 miles, this has happened to me, twice, and has happened to others, as well.

I suggest the smallest container you can find, because you won't need more than a tablespoon or two, and, once brake fluid is opened, it begins to go bad by absorbing moisture from the air. I've replaced my bottle each time it has happened - you can get one for around $5.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default More Good Ideas!

Yes, a small can of brake fluid will be added to my kit...just in case.

I won't be using the green slime goop for tire punctures, but will use the stuff that comes in an aerosol can. It pumps some dark goop into the tire while inflating it at the same time. I'll also be adding a tire pressure gauge to my kit.

I've seen that when sold new, the RT had a small tool kit under the seat, but don't know if it will still be there on mine. I'll check when it arrives.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

QUOTE=Bob Denman;1189963]If it's only a 400 or so mile trip: check the oil before you leave, and leave your worries at home. [/QUOTE]

That is a day trip for us. Check the oil top off if you need to and Give Thanks that you are able to be out Ryding your Spyder! As some have mentioned I use Ride-on in my tires and that allows me to not worry as much about flats!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.