Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT REAR TOTE RACK

Introduced this at Spyder at Red Rock and sold all 6 racks I brought with me. The response was like when I introduced the Seal Floorboards in 2009. Seems to fill a real need. What makes this different from the other racks out there? What caught most RT owners attention was three things:

NO DRILLING HOLES IN YOUR TUPPERWARE!!! Several owners told me they had had to replace their trunk lids because the holes and vibration from the racks they had caused their trunk's to crack and split. I never ask you to drill or modify your Spyder with any of my Seal Products.

EASY ON AND OFF!!! Most acknowledged that times they didn't want, or need their racks on. With my new REAR TOTE RACK, on and off takes about 15 seconds. Simply loosen the tie down, open the truck lid and slip on or off.
    Great when cleaning your RT or don't need a rack. If you have an RT LTD with the chrome strip no problem, the suction cups will work just fine. All clips are rubber coated to not scratch your Spyder.

A LEVEL SURFACE!!! You can easily tie down items with bungee cords OR mount a wire basket on the TOTE RACK with the easy mountain clips that are included. I found a cool 12"x18"x12" wire rack at Walmart. Looks great, easy to install with the 2 steels strips included. Looks like a part of the REAR TOTE RACK and is quick and easy to mount with the two steel straps and 4 nuts and bolts. Great for tossing in a bag of groceries, your helmet or..... Perfect for around town stuff.

At $240. it's a breeze to put together and be on your way. If there is an interest, I will make it available in chrome. My guess is it will add about $100. to the price, but will firm it up if there is a call for chrome. Lost two sales at Red Rock because I didn't have chrome. I know that some bikers live and work to polish chrome!!!.

I have more in the powder coaters now and should be ready to ship in about a week. Check out my website. I'll post a photo with the box on tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sealfloorboards; 10-10-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi all,
    Ive talked with a couple of Chrome Plaiters and they tell me they can't plate exposed right angle corners because they don't take a proper plate and may "shadow" and possible rust. That would affect the i" lip that is just infant of the passenger backrest. It will require removing it or changing the deign. Not sure I'm ready to do that at this point. Any input on this?
    Ride and Tote in Comfort,

Spyder Garage

Default Powdercoat

Why not Powdercoat to match paint?
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

There is a Chrome colored powder coat that comes pretty close to real chrome. You might look into that.

BTW if I didn't already have holes in my plastic I would have bought one of your racks.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Why not Powdercoat to match paint?
    How many colors do I have to stock? I would go broke buying inventory.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default qeaustion about the RT rear tote rack

Can the lid of the rear top case be opened when the rack is mounted? How well was this tested to be sure it will stay in place? I really like the idea of being able to remove it when i'm not using it. Thanks

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chris007 View Post
    Can the lid of the rear top case be opened when the rack is mounted? How well was this tested to be sure it will stay in place? I really like the idea of being able to remove it when i'm not using it. Thanks

Chris
    The trunk lid not only opens freely, but on my 2014 RT it stays open without any problem. I rode about 2,500 miles to Syders at Red Rock with no movement at all. Whenever I had the need to get into the trunk, I just glanced at the nylon tie down to ake sure it was tight...never a problem. I also just give it a wiggle with my hand to check on it's security. Again, no movement.

Its raining like crazy here in the Portland area, but I'll try to get a photo of the Tote Rack with my wire basket attached...VERY USEFUL AROUND TOWN.

ride and Tote in comfort

Spyder Garage

Default They are nice...

I saw them at the Red Rock event and they are an easy install and removal. You could powder coat in the silver matching the foot pegs as a alternative ... Good seeing you there and helping out a bit....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Hi all,
    Ive talked with a couple of Chrome Plaiters and they tell me they can't plate exposed right angle corners because they don't take a proper plate and may "shadow" and possible rust. That would affect the i" lip that is just infant of the passenger backrest. It will require removing it or changing the deign. Not sure I'm ready to do that at this point. Any input on this?
    Ride and Tote in Comfort,
    Faraday cage effect
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I purchased one of your Racks at the Red Rocks rally. I like that it isn't bolted to the bike and completely removable. however If you would like some suggestions I have a couple for you.

First off how about rounding the corners of the rack so that when using a cover there is not a sharp corner that can tear the cover? Also, instead of using nylon lock nuts, how about using a regular nut and blue Loctite? The standard nuts are shorter therefore not as likely to rub on the trunk cover and damage the paint. And lastly, what if you used a screw and nut at the very bottom where you installed the Suction cups and move the cups about 2.25" up, that way they clear the chrome strip on the painted cover?

These are only meant as suggestions. I have made these changes to mine and am very pleased with the results.

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Question

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    I purchased one of your Racks at the Red Rocks rally. I like that it isn't bolted to the bike and completely removable. however If you would like some suggestions I have a couple for you.

First off how about rounding the corners of the rack so that when using a cover there is not a sharp corner that can tear the cover? Also, instead of using nylon lock nuts, how about using a regular nut and blue Loctite? The standard nuts are shorter therefore not as likely to rub on the trunk cover and damage the paint. And lastly, what if you used a screw and nut at the very bottom where you installed the Suction cups and move the cups about 2.25" up, that way they clear the chrome strip on the painted cover?

These are only meant as suggestions. I have made these changes to mine and am very pleased with the results.

Kent
    Thanks everyone, all good suggestions. My second batch will have rounded corners and a radius instead of a straight bend. That should make plating more of an option. I've had some great suggestions and take them all to heart. As in all my products, the initial designs are a work in progress. I am always open to suggestions. I'll look into the chrome powder coating. I don't just want to make an OK product, I want it to be the best available, just like my SealFloorboards. Keep the comments coming and......
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

I just saw this...and REALLY like it. My wife is interested in it, too. I'll be getting my RT (and me) up and running for the first time in 10 months in about 3 weeks and this would work very well for short to medium trips.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    I just saw this...and REALLY like it. My wife is interested in it, too. I'll be getting my RT (and me) up and running for the first time in 10 months in about 3 weeks and this would work very well for short to medium trips.
    Hey flaggerphil,
    Yeah, it's great as an "around town" "errand running","Today I don't kneed it, but tomorrow???" "now you see it, now you don't" TRUELY PRACTICAL Farkel that anyone can use. Look for a photo of the my REAR TOTE RACK with the wire box, I found at Walmart, later this week. Another easy and inexpensive install to make it EVEN more useful.
    Thanks,
    Ride in comfort,
    John

Spyder Garage

I know old post but are these still being made? Link? Thanx

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wilpir View Post
    I know old post but are these still being made? Link? Thanx
    No. John had health issues and had to retire. He was unable to sell his business. Sadly, all his products have disappeared from the market. He had some really good stuff. Your best bet is to search for used ones here in the For Sale subforum, or eBay, or Craigslist.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)