Spyder Garage

Default Stock 2013 ST Exhaust

Can the stock Akrapovic exhaust be modified to give it a louder, throatier sound? Would removing the baffles do that? If so, how hard is it to mod?

Can't afford a Two Brothers right now.
    In an orderly world, I'm addicted to chaos.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

You could start by eliminating the catalytic converter. Then it gets a bit tougher going into the pipe. There are many other pipes out there with great sound and a lot less than the Two brothers...I have the Yoshimura R77 comes with a removable baffle. Check around I got a good price on ebay....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You could start by eliminating the catalytic converter. Then it gets a bit tougher going into the pipe. There are many other pipes out there with great sound and a lot less than the Two brothers...I have the Yoshimura R77 comes with a removable baffle. Check around I got a good price on ebay....

I had looked at the R77s, but they are close to $400 on the 'Bay.

I will keep looking for one here as well as a 2Bro exhaust. In the meantime, I might start with the cat removal. Is it difficult?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by commanderjb View Post
    I had looked at the R77s, but they are close to $400 on the 'Bay.

I will keep looking for one here as well as a 2Bro exhaust. In the meantime, I might start with the cat removal. Is it difficult?

Will this work on my 2013 ST SM5:

2015 CanAm Spyder F3 Two Brothers S1R Slip On Exhaust Can-Am 005-4230409-S12BR exhaust.jpg

Spyder Garage

Will this work on my 2013 ST SM5:

2015 CanAm Spyder F3 Two Brothers S1R Slip On Exhaust Can-Am 005-4230409-S1...
    NO - your Spyder has a different motor, different engine pipes, different exhaust layout, different exhaust joins, different joint gaskets, different exhaust mounts, & different exhaust mounting points!!

You'll need something to fit an ST with the 998 motor. Nothing for an F3 or an RT after 2013 will fit straight out of the box, & if you were prepared to spend the time & effort modding things to make them fit, you'd need to be prepared to do a whole lotta work!

Spyder Garage

Default more noisw

why oh why do you want to make more noise? I have been riding for almost 50 years and have never understood the reason. Loud pipes do not save lives they just annoy people.
    Allen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allensr View Post
    why oh why do you want to make more noise? I have been riding for almost 50 years and have never understood the reason. Loud pipes do not save lives they just annoy people.
    Allen
    I couldn't agree more. Think of that noisy thing going by your house while trying to relax. No thanks.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Think of that noisy thing going by your house while trying to relax. No thanks.
    I understand that we all have different opinions and likes! I respect that! But to me personally, I need to hear that rumble or I'm not riding! The rumble n the air on my face is what I enjoy the most when riding a motorcycle!

Spyder Garage

Thankfully none of you live near me.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Thankfully none of you live near me.
    Why?

Spyder Garage

So I don't have to listen to the obnoxious exhaust going by.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

So I don't have to listen to the obnoxious exhaust going by.
    Thanks for butting in and NOT answering my question. I am not looking to blast the dB level, only gain a modest increase in the sound level, give it some rumble. And yes, loud pipes DO save lives. If a biker is next to me with pipes that puts out a decent amount of growl, I know they are beside me, even with the windows rolled up and the radio going. You can hear em and you can feel em. I've been riding for 30+ years and have had my fair share of close encounters, so I know firsthand. A blip on the throttle will certainly get someones attention quicker than a bike's horn.

Now, back to the topic....

Can anyone ID this exhaust? The seller is saying it came off a 2013 ST. DOesn't look like the one on mine.

Ebay exhaust 2.jpgEbay exhaust.jpg

Spyder Garage

You quoted me and rambled on about some loud pipes save lives BS? You might want to go back through the thread and see who made that comment because it wasn't me.

Riding smart saves lives, loudness has nothing to do with it.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

You quoted me and rambled on about some loud pipes save lives BS? You might want to go back through the thread and see who made that comment because it wasn't me.

Riding smart saves lives, loudness has nothing to do with it.
    Regardless, opinions on loudness of pipes isn't germaine to my thread. I'm only interested in replies that help to answer my questions.

Spyder Garage

.....Can anyone ID this exhaust? The seller is saying it came off a 2013 ST. DOesn't look like the one on mine.

Ebay exhaust 2.jpgEbay exhaust.jpg
    It certainly looks like it came off a 2013, altho it has had all the muffler 'heat shield' & the end cap 'trim' removed. If you look at the end where those two drooping tails are sticking out, you should be able to see the 'captive nuts' that the end cap trim bolted on to before it was removed.

If you just want a throatier noise from your exhaust, fit a cat eliminator with the stock exhaust. If your Spyder is already running the optional Akrapovic instead of the stock tail pipe (you mentioned 'stock Akrapovic' earlier, IIRC they weren't 'stock' or even standard on the Spyders, but they were BRP optional 'upgrade' - at least here in Aus anyway!) then it'll be plenty 'throatier' & quite loud too once you lose that overly baffled & restrictive Cat Converter, & even if nothing else, the reduction in excess weight that tossing it will achieve is very likely see a performance improvement over stock too!!

Regardless, even if you are only running the stock muffler & not the Akrapovic upgrade unit, if you want a better sound, the smart money on a First Step is to fit a Cat Eliminator!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-10-2016 at 06:23 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Local muffler shop

I have done this several times you may want to give it a try,
    Remove your muffler, it will slip off, take it to any local muffler shop
    have them pull out various glass packs and or steel pack mufflers
    that are the same in length or close... the larger around the deeper the sound
    have him size the end to be the same as yours, and if you want have him weld
    a nice chrome tip on the other end... take it home and paint it using the spray paint
    used on a BBQ (flat black) let dry over night then go put it on and enjoy....
    total cost way under $100
    I have done this on my Spyder, as well as about 6 other bikes I have or have owned.
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I have done this several times you may want to give it a try,
    Remove your muffler, it will slip off, take it to any local muffler shop
    have them pull out various glass packs and or steel pack mufflers
    that are the same in length or close... the larger around the deeper the sound
    have him size the end to be the same as yours, and if you want have him weld
    a nice chrome tip on the other end... take it home and paint it using the spray paint
    used on a BBQ (flat black) let dry over night then go put it on and enjoy....
    total cost way under $100
    I have done this on my Spyder, as well as about 6 other bikes I have or have owned.
    Dave
    Dave - Thanks so much.

Spyder Garage

My Akrapovic on my 2015 RT has removable baffles, 2 screws to remove. It's definitely louder and throatier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

There are two rubber plugs on end cap (on the side toward the frame). there are two hex head allen bolts that hold the baffles in. I cant remember the size, but use a ratchet and socket to remove. On MINE the bolts were TACK WELDED in place. The top one snapped of easily, the bottom had a bit more weld and took a bit more to get out. Once those are out you can pull the baffles out. It sounds AWESOME. Not loud like glass packs on a car..more like magnaflows. Good deep rumble. I rode it to a dealer and a couple of the salesman came over to see what pipe i had. It sounds that good. On long rides my wife says the drone gets a little old. Earplugs might help. I did notice too that I have lost a little bottom end power right at takeoff. It has a slight hesitation if you pin it in first gear. Other gears are fine, its just at the get go.

If its too loud for your tastes you can always run one baffle.

1934766_1287742007918935_1499064824150637800_n.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NSPYTE; 10-21-2016 at 02:13 PM.
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...