Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro Vs Dash Cam?

From time to time I see posts where people ask for information on the best cameras to attach to the bike for their trips and this left me wondering if anyone has used or uses one of those dash cams that people use in their cars. If so, please share your thoughts on them ... likes / dislikes.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

I use a dash cam in the car, but not on the Spyder, since it's not waterproof. I've also tried a GoPro-type camera, but gave up keeping it waterproof while being powered by the Spyder. However, I have seriously considered permanently installing an Innovv K1 motorcycle camera, with a camera pointing forwards and another pointing back. I have heard good reports from motorcyclists who have installed one. http://www.innovv.com/the-k1-c3r6
    -artig
    -2016 blue Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    My blog with walks and rides

Spyder Garage

If you plan on using it for 'safety' or 'witness' purposes, a Go-Pro will not be accepted by many if any courts or jurisdictions....

Most Safety-Cams or Dash-Cams have software &/or recording protocols that either resist or at least record any attempts at changing the video recording, so there are some courts/jurisdictions that will accept them as a valid recording of the event in the case of an accident or other dispute. When it comes to that sort of stuff, Go-Pro recordings just don't fit the bill & are really only for making pretty YouTube vids.

Spyder Garage

Default dash cam

Quote Originally Posted by artig View Post
    I use a dash cam in the car, but not on the Spyder, since it's not waterproof. I've also tried a GoPro-type camera, but gave up keeping it waterproof while being powered by the Spyder. However, I have seriously considered permanently installing an Innovv K1 motorcycle camera, with a camera pointing forwards and another pointing back. I have heard good reports from motorcyclists who have installed one. http://www.innovv.com/the-k1-c3r6
    I've installed a K1 from INNOVV and it's great. Very good quality pictures both front and back.

Spyder Garage

I use a Cobra that Costco sells, for $100, it has a time stamp which is needed for use in a serious court situation and it shows your speed, and GPS coordinates. Good quality. From my experience, all a video needs is the time stamp to be used in court.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you plan on using it for 'safety' or 'witness' purposes, a Go-Pro will not be accepted by many if any courts or jurisdictions....

Most Safety-Cams or Dash-Cams have software &/or recording protocols that either resist or at least record any attempts at changing the video recording, so there are some courts/jurisdictions that will accept them as a valid recording of the event in the case of an accident or other dispute. When it comes to that sort of stuff, Go-Pro recordings just don't fit the bill & are really only for making pretty YouTube vids.
    Maybe in OZ, but not so in the US. While what your wrote is technically correct, videos would be and are admissible in court. It happens all of the time in this country. Since you are a civilian, the requirements are less stringent than if you were the government submitting evidence in a criminal case. Rule of evidence in civil cases are far different than in criminal cases. As is the requirements for evidence submission and sourcing.

There is a however in that scenario. The "however" is if the other side in the court case challenges the veracity of the video, then you would have to provide a court approved expert to authenticate the video as true and correct. Of course, the other side would have to supply their own expert to challenge the accuracy of the video. In most civil courts that is done by the insurance companies who will spend insane amounts of money to fight the battle.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks ..

Thanks for the responses, my intent wasn't for legal / court purposes, just for recording trips from time to time (when I am in a scenic area) - I like the Innov setup and will research those.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Madincalif View Post
    I've installed a K1 from INNOVV and it's great. Very good quality pictures both front and back.
    Sounds good. Where have you located the cameras, the GPS, and the control unit? Any advice would be appreciated if/when I get around to installing one.
    -artig
    -2016 blue Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    My blog with walks and rides

Spyder Garage

Default INNOV setup

Quote Originally Posted by 2RTsGV View Post
    Thanks for the responses, my intent wasn't for legal / court purposes, just for recording trips from time to time (when I am in a scenic area) - I like the Innov setup and will research those.
    Here is where I installed the main camera system on my 2015 RT.

20160401_223142.jpg
    2015 SE6 SS

Elka Stage 2 front and rear shocks
    Lamonster Web Pegs
    General Altimax RT43 Rear Tire
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Baker Wings
    Bajarons Sway Bar & Links
    Custom Dynamics Fender, Bright Sides and HMT Brake Lt
    Zumo 590
    CB
    Spyder Mudflap
    Lamonster drink holder
    Foam Grips
    Billet Axle Covers
    Stebel Air Horn
    SpyderPops Bumpskid
    SpyderPops belt guard
    SpyderPops Kotte Grills
    TriCLED LED Driving lights
    Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default dash cam (INNOVV)

Quote Originally Posted by artig View Post
    Sounds good. Where have you located the cameras, the GPS, and the control unit? Any advice would be appreciated if/when I get around to installing one.
    The front camera I mounted right behind the windshield using JT's Rt dash mount kit, the rear camera is on the right side of the rear license plate, the gps is mounted under the frunk lid by the plastic piece that covers the coolant tank and the control unit is sitting in the frunk, and I put it all on an independent switch so I can turn it on and off when I wantIMG_20161008_163421.jpg
    Last edited by Madincalif; 10-09-2016 at 10:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2RTsGV View Post
    I have the Innov and a Sena 10C. Both have strengths and weaknesses.

The Sena is a helmet mount, so your best camera views are to your left and straight ahead. Anything on the right side is awkward at best. The Sena has a good mount system IF you can use the clamp on mount. If your helmet is not able to use the clamp on system, then you have to use their stick-on mount, which is not nearly as good or useful.

The Innov has virtually no customer support and no software. You have to use the web for everything. It is not "plug n' play". The model I have is not weather resistant and is awkward if not impossible to active on the fly. Basically, with mine, you have to turn it on and leave it on until stopped.

There's more, but you get the idea.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

I disagree with this statement. All court records submitted for trail purpose, paper records, photos and video can be altered. It is up to the attorneys to prove if it has been tampered with.

I use the Ion video recording camera . For 35.00 bucks I don’t have to worry about breaking it, dropping it or getting it stolen. It mounts to the F3 handle bars or the helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/Ion-1011L-Lit...Z48PJRDGBNV5KC
    Last edited by Tazzel; 10-10-2016 at 11:58 AM.