Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default NOISEY FRONT BRAKE

I have a 2014 RTS SE6 and I changed the front and rear brake pads over the weekend. Everything went well, even applied CRC brake quiet to the bake of the brake pads, and wow, no more squealing. However, when I apply the brakes, the right front brake has a clicking noise. I bedded the pads as the instructions stated that I bought from BaJaRon. This morning I removed the right front wheel, took brakes back apart, cleaned the back of the brakes, reapplied CRC brake quiet, reinstalled the brakes and still have the same problem. Only time you hear the clicking noise is when your applying the brakes. The bike doesn't pull to the right or left, stops in a straight line and the brakes work fantastic except for the clicking noise. Now here is where you all come in, what suggestions do you have that might be causing this clicking noise. I know, just don't use the brakes and all is fine. But just in case I do have to use the brakes, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default TITE

IS EVERYTHING TITE.....?
    sounds like your caliper may be bouncing (clicking) back-n-forth during braking....
    just a thought...
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

Most pads slide on pins or other surfaces. They can become notched or rough or the holes where the pins slide through need cleaning from paint etc. This could cause some hopping when brakes are applied to get them to slide across causing the initial click...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Is it just one loud 'Click!' when you first put your foot on the brakes?? Or possibly a quiet single 'click' that you can only just hear but that only happens the once??

Or is it a repeated 'Click, click, click' as the wheel goes around whenever you have the brakes applied??

Either of those first two then it's likely something along the lines of what Spyd3r & Chupaca have suggested, or possibly even just the brake light micro switch making an audible noise every time you press the pedal?!? You might get a better idea if you raise the Spyder wheels off the ground & spin them by hand before applying the brake while you are down alongside the wheel to see/hear exactly where it's coming from. But Please, don't ever try getting your head down that close to the wheel while you are riding along the road, if you slip the gravel rash can be really painful & the results of anything else going wrong is just messy!!

But if it's that 'Click, click, click' thing, then it could well be a calliper touching on the inside of the rim once every rotation (possibly loose bolts holding the caliper on as mentioned, or maybe an incorrectly fitted pin, pad, or an out of round rim??!) or it might be a stone deeply embedded in a tread groove that only contacts the road while the tread is splayed under braking forces.... or possibly a deeply embedded nail or screw rather than a stone!!

A little more specific info on the where & when this happens could help, as might a bit more detail on the noise itself.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Noisey brake

The noise occurs when applying the brakes, right front wheel, and continues or is constant until you get down to about 17 mph. Wish I could describe the noise better. Everything is tight, I took the right wheel off, caliper, new pads off, cleaned and reinstalled. Same thing occurs when applying brakes.

Spyder Garage

So is it a constant 'click, click, click' that has a steady click rate? Or is the click rate related to road speed so the clicking slows down as your Spyder slows down? Or is it just one loooong cliiiiiiiiiiiick that lasts however long you have the brakes applied?

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would carefully examine the rotor surface inside and out for any weird spots. Also, the reticulator ring (ABS) may have a spot that is rubbing as it rotates. If you look close, you may be able to a wear pattern of where it is hitting. Good luck.
    Another way to check is jack up that side and have someone sit on the bike and gently apply the brake while you spin the wheel by hand.

Spyder Garage

Did you apply caliper grease or other appropriate lubrication to the pins and sliding surfaces? It sounds like this needs to be done. The calipers will stick and release causing a clicking noise if not properly lubricated.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6