Thread: New to the Site

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New to the Site

Greetings to one and all. I am looking forward to learning a lot on this Site. I am new here and want to introduce myself. I live just north of the 49th parallel on the Canadian west coast. I have never owned a motorcycle before, do however own a classic car and have spent lots of time on car sites.
    I am interested in learning about possible modifications that might be possible to the throttle and it's location. I am a right hand amputee. I have the whole arm but no hand. This would make operating the throttle at the factory position impossible since it is a twist grip. Does anybody know or heard of a way change the throttle? Any possibility of adapting a foot control?

Henry

Spyder Garage

Welcome!! If it's been done before, it's probably on this site....I'm sure someone will chime in. Best of luck to you. Sounds like a challenging project. Sure hope it works out
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! Lots of good info and people on this forum.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

to the site. Check out our "enabled" forum. If its been done--it should be talked about there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Chris Draayer was a Motorcycle Flat Tracker for Harley Davidson back in the 50's and sixties. He lost his right hand in a racing accident but continued to ride though they wouldn't let him race. He had a clamp that he could grab the twist grip with and by lowering his elbow work the throttle. Might be a possibility for you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Anything is possible!!!

Welcome.
    Maybe some kind of left foot throttle?? Or of course a left hand throttle similar to the thumb throttle on an ATV. Happy hunting.
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our Forum. I hope you can get the throttle figured out.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Chris Draayer was a Motorcycle Flat Tracker for Harley Davidson back in the 50's and sixties. He lost his right hand in a racing accident but continued to ride though they wouldn't let him race. He had a clamp that he could grab the twist grip with and by lowering his elbow work the throttle. Might be a possibility for you.
    Thanks for your encouragement. The problem is that everything is fly-by-wire and computer controlled you have to be very careful what you mess with. A throttle cable would be much easier to adapt.
    I know that there has to be a way to do it, it is just a matter of getting the correct info. I am not one to give up easily. I am doing numerous things that people think are impossible. I drive a 6 speed Manuel transmission truck and shift using just my stump. I am not be using a prosthesis.
    Last edited by Southpaw; 10-04-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and I'm sure it can be done. Good luck.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Thanks for your encouragement. The problem is that everything is fly-by-wire and computer controlled you have to be very careful what you mess with. A throttle cable would be much easier to adapt.
    I know that there has to be a way to do it, it is just a matter of getting the correct info. I am not one to give up easily. I am doing numerous things that people think are impossible. I drive a 6 speed Manuel transmission truck and shift using just my stump. I am not be using a prosthesis.
    Hi,

Do you have a Spyder yet?

If not then it would be worth looking at one of the earlier models as they had throttle cables instead of fly-by-wire. I know my RS 2011 has a cable and think they didn't change it on the RS until the 2013. Not sure about the early RT's. ST and F3 are definitely fly by wire.

If you got an earlier cable one it would be relatively easy to move the throttle over the left hand side. If you did that I'd also suggest going from the semi-auto (the SE model) That way you don't have to worry about the clutch on the left and most of the important controls when your riding are on the left as well. All that's on the right is the starter, kill-switch and hazards.

Thanks,

Jos

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No Spyder yet. I am doing all my research before buying. Thanks for the info, it is very helpful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't add much about the throttle issue, but I am sure that, with the help of all the experienced folks here, you'll get a good solution. So I will just say
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Call it crazy, but have you thought about reaching out to BRP and asking them about possible solutions?
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    Call it crazy, but have you thought about reaching out to BRP and asking them about possible solutions?
    I have not contacted the company itself yet. I talked to the local dealer but I did not get the impression that they or BRP would be very interested in doing any modifications. They talked about 'safety' concerns.

Spyder Garage
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Check out the Enabled SpyderLovers forum topic. May be someone there to help. Meanwhile, I have the clamshell grips for a Goldwing GL1800 made by Kuryakyn on my RTL. Also added the Throttle Boss. Maybe, if this won't work for you, it may give you some ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark in GA

2014 Cognac Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
    2014 Cognac RT-622 Trailer - SOLD
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the PARTEEEE!!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default In case you want to contact BRP...

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I have not contacted the company itself yet. I talked to the local dealer but I did not get the impression that they or BRP would be very interested in doing any modifications. They talked about 'safety' concerns.
    I'm glad Zip found you a link to a thread in the "Enabled SpyderLovers" section that addresses moving the right hand fly-by-wire control.

Your dealer, depending on which dealer you talk to, is likely NOT the best source of information. Many dealers are very timid about alterations. While BRP itself may not perform the required alteration, they may be a better source for referrals for additional information. There is a Customer Support Team of 4 BRP reps who monitor this forum. They are Steven, Laurence, Mathilde, and Robin. Steven is the team leader. You can email them at brp.care@brp.com. (That link should activate a message to them. Note the unusual "dot" in the first half of the email address.)

I'm sure there is a way to do exactly what you need. As you said, it just may take a little digging. It'll be worth it, as Spyders are LOADS of fun to ride. Best of luck with the project.
    Last edited by robmorg; 10-05-2016 at 03:04 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Contact "hook86"

Spyder Garage

I can help you about the throttle body, but there is a lot of excellent info on this site. We are here to help!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It looks to me like the company in England offers the most promising avenue for you. Moving the throttle is a bit complicated as it is a bit complicated in itself. It has two Hall sensors, which are magnetic field sensors that I don't really know very much about. One is for throttle position and one is throttle acceleration. The latter I believe senses how quickly you turn the throttle grip. I'm guessing the English company came up with a way to move the entire throttle grip to the left side. The large cylinder on the end of the grip is, I'm sure, the sensor portion of the throttle. They might be able to take a stock throttle grip and modify it and send it to you for you to install yourself. You would have to move the wire harness from the right side to the left side, or maybe they can make a harness extension to go from the left side to the right side.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all the great info and help. I agree that the company in English probably me best source. The riding season is over in this part of the whole. I am work on it during the winter.

Spyder Garage

If I recall Hall effect sensors are so called phase sensitive as well. Might be the key to moving the throttle. So what was the name of the company that moves the throttle? I seem to have missed it. Oh, we might consider changing this to a Left Hand Thread.
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167