Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    BB, I'm actually in the process of starting another thread about this and deleted my original post in this thread. IF I have to replace the shifter shaft, due to wearing the splines on the outboard section of the shifter shart, else why would the gear shift lever keep working loose after being re-mounted and bolted.
    I'll be taking those pics and posting soon. I'm thinking that every time it worked back loose, the retaining bolt was wearing the outboard splines off/down as it became loose / canted again.
    No need to start another thread it is not that complicated. Now that I understand what you are doing. I will guess you don't need a new shift lever either.

Put the shift lever back on. Tighten the pinch bolt until the shift lever will not move on the shaft anymore. Done.

Slightly tightening the bolt and leaving the lever loose on the shaft. It is going to just fall off again. As you found out.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billy, I guess I wasn't clear, we did reinstall the shift lever and retaining bolt several times on Sunday while trying to ride the spyder home from the first fail. We were using the 5 MM allen wrench that was in the factory tool kit and cranked that bolt as tight as the 7 inch long allen wrench lever would allow. We never slightly tightened it at anytime. It was tight enough I used a breaker bar on my 3/8s drive with 5mm allen tip to remove the bolt at home. And yes the lever splines are damaged so the lever and bolt are being replaced.

My question was if the shifter shaft splines are damaged enough that the new lever won't maintain grip has anyone replaced their shifter shaft as well, and what all else needs to be considered/ordered/inspected when doing that. That is all in the new thread since mine's not a '12 for clarity's sake.
    Photos in the SE5 Gear Shift lever fail thread

Your post in this thread at least helped us get the spyder home without towing fee's etc. Thank you
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default This information and pictures helped me a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    You've probably figured out by now that the little bolt that goes through the shift lever isn't really there to squeeze down on that shifter shaft, but rather it's supposed to go through that groove that's machined into the shaft. Why these things come off is a big question. If the bolt is properly positioned in that groove, then it should keep the shift lever on there. You do use that slot to align the lever to the shaft. Align the slot to the dot at the end of the shaft. But I doubt seriously that the bolt accomplishes much, if any, squeezing of the lever to the shaft. That thing is pretty stout. Pictures below.
    Was riding from Seattle to Vegas with a family member who was on a 2013 STS-SE5. Stopped at a rest area on top of Mammoth mountain 60 miles from our motel, 900 miles from home, 400 miles from Vegas when the spyder stopped shifting. Long story short a flat bed tow truck picked up the spyder and transported it to Bishop CA. I rented a Penski 16' truck, loaded the spyder and Indian Chief, which I was riding and working perfectly, transported both back to Seattle. Once back home I discovered the root cause was the shift linkage detached from the shaft. The pinch bolt was tight. With the help of your pictures was able to align the shaft and arm to get it to shift correctly. Wish I would have saw this a week ago. Would have saved me $1400 in rental truck, towing and gas.

Spyder Garage

ive got a similar first time out in two or three months will not down shift when coming to a stop only to 4th or 3rd any ideas for this. upshifts fine

Spyder Garage

Hello fellow spyder lover. Can am one tell me why some time I get a check transmission error message across the screen on my 2010 can am spyder could it be a sensor