Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RTL top storage compartment won't stay open - any easy fix?

I have to use one hand to hold it open if I'm loading or unloading. Is there an easy fix?
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Try this for holding up your rear trunk lid. I have one on mine and it does the job. Easy to mount also.
    https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...-trunk-holder/
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Replace the gas strut. Search for trunk gas strut. You should find several discussions about it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I replaced the gas strut. It was an easy installation. Check YouTube.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I have to use one hand to hold it open if I'm loading or unloading. Is there an easy fix?
    If you really want 'easy' &/or cheap, you could always use a rod or bit of wood cut to the right length to serve as a prop - measure from an inside bottom corner of the compartment up to the same corner's inside top of the lid while it's open to get the max length for your prop.

OR maybe even just clip a spring clamp onto the top edge of the lower half of the compartment once it's open - then move the clamp right back along the edge until it's handle hits the underside of the lid! .

There's potentially lotsa cheap & easy ways if you put some thought into it; but for my 2 bob's worth, I'd be replacing tghe strut! . There's probably even a thread here already that has a part number if you want to search for 'trunk; + gas; + strut' & then do some light reading (there's only 2 pages of results! )

Over to you.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. The way it is made, I could not see what was going on back there.
    From now on, I need to search for "trunk" instead of "top storage compartment".

One more thing: I find that if I hold it up for a few seconds, it will stay up. It doesn't raise itself but at least it will stay up. Maybe this weekend I will get a long helical spring and install it over the strut.
    Last edited by Tonylmiller; 04-01-2022 at 08:26 AM.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you really want 'easy' &/or cheap, you could always use a rod or bit of wood cut to the right length to serve as a prop - measure from an inside bottom corner of the compartment up to the same corner's inside top of the lid while it's open to get the max length for your prop.

OR maybe even just clip a spring clamp onto the top edge of the lower half of the compartment once it's open - then move the clamp right back along the edge until it's handle hits the underside of the lid! .

There's potentially lotsa cheap & easy ways if you put some thought into it; but for my 2 bob's worth, I'd be replacing tghe strut! . There's probably even a thread here already that has a part number if you want to search for 'trunk; + gas; + strut' & then do some light reading (there's only 2 pages of results! )

Over to you.
    .... I'm a DIY'er, and don't spend money unless I have to.... So I did what you said in your first paragraph. I added a shaped rod, which attaches to the lip of the trunk. I raise the rod and it goes onto the rubber molding in the Lid. Not fancy but it ALWAYS works. Cost ? ... almost zero...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
    I replaced the gas strut. It was an easy installation. Check YouTube.
    I replaced my gas strut arm on the back of my trunk on my 2014 RTS-SE6 ( current spyder) I had the same the problem on my current spyder.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue