Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New rear tire. ..2014rts

Put this tire on my spyder last week....like it alot...feels stabler at high speed....a little hard when running local....51lb air ..75.00 plus 15.00 shipping...tire rack. Com....i hope i get more than 13k mile out of it....thats all i got out of factory tire. ...had absolutely no tread on the center 3 incheshttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e9f02c...26_151242.jpg?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

At 51lbs sounds a bit over inflated. Which would wear out the center
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Ecsta AST is a great replacement tire on the Spyder...
    I run 24 psi in mine; who set you up with it like that?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Exclamation General Altimax RT43

Just recieved my new tire as listed above. Will install this winter

50 PSI is --------WAAAAY TOOOO MUCH.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

You must weigh in at about 1200 lbs to need 51 psi in that rear tire!!

That's gotta be close to the MAXIMUM pressure the tire can handle ever, which is only ever meant to be used when it's carrying its maximum load (of about 1500 lbs)!!! I'd be surprised if Kumho recommend you put that much air in it when it's only carrying the usual weight of a Spyder & Ryder, which is generally a tad less that what a car & driver weighs!! As others have said, 51 psi has gotta be WAAAAAYYYY too high, & you almost certainly WILL NOT get 13K out of it like that but you WILL wear out the strip in the middle of the tire PDQ!!

Who told you to run 51 psi, & even worse, who left that much air in it after mounting!! They generally only recommend 40 Psi to seat the beads on those tires!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-27-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default rear tire 2014 RTS

I run this same tire on my bike. Try lowering the pressure to 18-20 pounds and see how it rides. I think you will find it much more comfortable , better grip and markedly different wet road handling.

Stop and consider how much weight is actually on that tire; doubt that it is as much as 500 pounds; don't need a lot of air to carry that little weight.

Try it, I think you'll like the less better than the more.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    They generally only recommend 40 Psi to seat the beads on those tires!!
    That's what I'm betting happened: they just forgot to drop it down to a useful pressure, after getting the bead to seat...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default General altimax rt 43

I am running the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear on my 2014 RTS-SE6 Size: 215/60R 15 @ 26 psi.

No problems , it is my 2nd season with the General Altimax RT 43. Several other people on this site are also running the General Altimax RT 43 tire. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default 51 PSI

I'M ON MY 5th KUMHO AST, AND I HAVE BEEN AVERAGING ABOUT 23,000 MILES OF SMILES...
    51LBS IS WAAAAAAAY ABOVE WHAT IS NEEDED... AT THAT RATE, THE CENTER OF THE TIRE WILL BALLOON OUT, AND YOU'LL WEAR THE CENTER DOWN FASTER THAN THE OUTER EDGES... JUST LIKE LIKE HAPPENED ON THE KENDA...
    PLEASE RETHINK YOUR DECISION...
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOU TIRE

[QUOTE=amelectricdavid;1186296]Put this tire on my spyder last week....like it alot...feels stabler at high speed....a little hard when running local....51lb air ..75.00 plus 15.00 shipping...tire rack. Com....i hope i get more than 13k mile out of it....thats all i got out of factory tire. ...had absolutely no tread on the center 3 incheshttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e9f02c...26_151242.jpg?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk[/Q.............You bought a decent tire ......However whoever mounted it forgot to let the "BEAD SETTING AIR PRESSURE " reduce to about 20 or so lbs....... There is no passenger tire made that can safely run at 51 PSI which is set COLD ....after it heats up it could be 57-8 PSI...... this is large truck territory............lower that pressure ASAP .......Mike

Spyder Garage

You can usually buy this tire on eBay for $84 , shipping included. It ships from discounttiredirect.com without the stupid "where are you using it question".. I have also had 5 of them and averaged over 25000 miles per tire.... I run 28 psi
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok tks....that kinda what i was looking for....some one who has used this tire...i will low air pressure...i filled to 51 psi because. That what the tire said max is....i had a tire on one of my HD...and ran it low ...the cords on the inside sidewall tore out of...and inturn pinched the innertube....i no there is no tube ...but didnt want to damage tire by running to low...thanks for alll the input

Spyder Garage

Default Running 26 psi cold on the Kumho Ecsta AST.. wife has 17,000 and wearing even

I just put a Kumho on the rear of my 15 RT and going to try the 26 psi as well. We run 1 up and mixed interstate and secondary roads. These Kumhos give us over a year of riding time with her 2-3,000 a month average.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I ran one of these. Ran it at 32PSI. I only got 11500 miles out of it... But I ride kinda spirited.

My experience with this tire? Poor. It has terrible wet traction, but also terrible tendency to hydroplane. The hydroplaning gets really bad obviously as the tire wears... But on a tire that it was bad at hydroplaning on from new, well just think about it.

It even wasn't good dry either. Just wasn't that sticky and this was on an 08 GS.

For casual riding it is a fine tire. However, if you ride in all weather, or ride a bit aggressively there are far better tires for not much more money that will keep you safer.

Now, that is just my opinion and personal experience with the Kuhmo. I switched to the Toyo Proxes 4 (now discontinued) and that by far has been the best car tire I've ever had on the back wet or dry. I still have two new in reserve and yes they will be used by their 6 year expiration date.

To each their own.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The car tires are much stiffer than a bike tire with a much stronger sidewall. As someone who has ran a car tire for 27,000 miles I can tell you first hand that running it around 28psi will allow it to grip the road better, work well in the rain, and give a much softer ride and yet be very stiff on the corners. I have never heard of a Spyder owner going back to a motorcycle tire after running a car tire.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1186374]
    Quote Originally Posted by amelectricdavid View Post
    Put this tire on my spyder last week....like it alot...feels stabler at high speed....a little hard when running local....51lb air ..75.00 plus 15.00 shipping...tire rack. Com....i hope i get more than 13k mile out of it....thats all i got out of factory tire. ...had absolutely no tread on the center 3 incheshttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e9f02c...26_151242.jpg?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk[/Q.............You bought a decent tire ......However whoever mounted it forgot to let the "BEAD SETTING AIR PRESSURE " reduce to about 20 or so lbs....... There is no passenger tire made that can safely run at 51 PSI which is set COLD ....after it heats up it could be 57-8 PSI...... this is large truck territory............lower that pressure ASAP .......Mike [emoji106]
    The tire says max psi of 51lbs...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    The car tires are much stiffer than a bike tire with a much stronger sidewall. As someone who has ran a car tire for 27,000 miles I can tell you first hand that running it around 28psi will allow it to grip the road better, work well in the rain, and give a much softer ride and yet be very stiff on the corners. I have never heard of a Spyder owner going back to a motorcycle tire after running a car tire.
    Cool tks

Spyder Garage

Default MAX TIRE PSI

[QUOTE=amelectricdavid;1186426]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The tire says max psi of 51lbs...

I have no doubt that is printed on the tire ..... I know what it means ..... the Question is Did you know what it meant ?????.................................not to be rude, but I don't think you do / did because YOU filled it to 51 lbs. and that was a mistake on your part ............... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1186435]
    I have no doubt that is printed on the tire ..... I know what it means ..... the Question is Did you know what it meant ?????.................................not to be rude, but I don't think you do / did because YOU filled it to 51 lbs. and that was a mistake on your part ............... Mike [emoji106]
    Im cool....i got it.....i have enough experience and answers so far. ..im going to lower air pressure. ..im was just stating fact about tire and whu filled it up....ive got the info i was looking...ive only had rts 14 months and learning...been riding 2 wheels 40years...mostly HD...lost leg 4 yrs ago...not bike accident. ..tks much

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1186435]
    I have no doubt that is printed on the tire ..... I know what it means ..... the Question is Did you know what it meant ?????.................................not to be rude, but I don't think you do / did because YOU filled it to 51 lbs. and that was a mistake on your part ............... Mike [emoji106]
    So explain to what i read means then....if the same system is used and printed on all tires

Spyder Garage

Default MAX TIRE PRESSURE

[QUOTE=amelectricdavid;1186445]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So explain to what i read means then....if the same system is used and printed on all tires

PMK in post # 21 said most of it...... I would like to add that on all tires there is a MAX Load amount for the tire , so if you are loading the tire close to this amount you can raise the pressure in the tire to assist in carrying this EXTRA LOAD amount....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tires

It has been said many times that the pressure is too high. I have been running 24-26 PSI. No reason to beat a dead horse, but if it were left to me I would go with the sage advise.

Good Luck

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the tire tells you max pressure it can take, the car/bike tells you pressure you should run.
    51 is too high for a car much less a , that thing must run like a rock

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    I ran one of these. Ran it at 32PSI. I only got 11500 miles out of it... But I ride kinda spirited.

My experience with this tire? Poor. It has terrible wet traction, but also terrible tendency to hydroplane. The hydroplaning gets really bad obviously as the tire wears... But on a tire that it was bad at hydroplaning on from new, well just think about it.

Your spirited riding had little to do with that poor mileage Wacky, neither did the tire brand have anything to do with the hydro-planing you experienced!! You got that behaviour from the tire because even 32 psi is TOO HIGH for the load your Spyder & you put on it!! If you'd been running a lower pressure, the sidewalls wouldn't have been rock hard & the tread would've been flexing enough to 1). heat up enough to get 'a bit sticky' & give you traction that way; & 2). allow the tread to flex & conform over the irregularities in the road surface, causing the tread blocks to act like little fingers grabbing the road & give you traction while allowing the grooves & sipes to flex & act like little pumps to clear the water off the road surface under the tread blocks!! All up, lower pressures would've gone a long way towards totally negating those issues that you are blaming on the tire; when really, it was simply your pressure choice that forced the tire to behave like that!! A lower pressure of saaaay, 26-28 psi or so, maybe even lower if you aren't a big bloke, would've given you a whole different experience - that Kumho was almost certainly rated fairly highly for wet road driving, didn't you wonder why it wasn't working like that for you??

Most Kumho's are fairly competent tires, generally rated by the market & their peers as being a pretty good quality fairly capable tire with good to great wet road capabilities - sure, maybe they're not the greatest tires out there, but they are certainly not a bad tire & are rated up around 8 or higher in most aspects of use!! If your ride or handling or hydro-planing performance isn't markedly better than that of the crappy Kenda's the Spyder came on, then you need to look at what YOU are doing that may have caused this?! In your case Wacky, it was simply running a pressure that was somewhat too high - in the OP's case, it was a massively too high pressure!!!

Kumho publishes tech tables detailing what pressure their tires need to carry a given load - I must admit that I haven't searched them all, but out of those I have searched, I haven't seen any Kumho tire of the sizes we generally use on our Spyders that've needed more than about 26-28psi for the loads we are putting on them, & some of the larger sized harder compound touring tires only need about 16-18 psi to carry something like 800 odd lbs!! That's not necessarily a 'low' pressure either - those tires have strong sidewalls & fairly hard compound tread, so they don't need a heap of pressure to carry the load or to stop the bead slipping on the rim or being pinched by the rim - the relatively light weight on the tire just isn't enough to need any more air pressure in order to carry that light a load!! Putting more air than necessary in there WILL contribute significantly to hard ride, easy hydro-planing, and rapid wear in the centre of the tread!!! And it could also contribute to road damage or punctures just thru normal use when the rock hard tire hits some road debris or a pot hole - something hasta give, & it will often be the tire.... after all, the tire is there to hold only enough air in it to allow it to provide traction & to keep the metal bits off the road by absorbing some if the road shocks - if you pump it up too hard, the only way it can absorb road shocks is thru de-laminating the tread & plies & basically self destructing!!

51 psi is waaaaay too high in a Kumho under a Spyder, but so is 32 psi - unless you weigh in over about 400 lbs & the Spyder is heavily laden too!!

Spyder Garage

I just sold my Spyder RT1330, the rear tyre was down to the tread wear bars at 2,000 miles, run religiously at 28psi!
    1330 RT SE6 Timeless Black...
    "Tre Pistoni, Tre Ruote, Tre Mendo"