Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amelectricdavid View Post
    Put this tire on my spyder last week....like it alot...feels stabler at high speed....a little hard when running local....51lb air ..75.00 plus 15.00 shipping...tire rack. Com....i hope i get more than 13k mile out of it....thats all i got out of factory tire. ...had absolutely no tread on the center 3 incheshttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57e9f02c...26_151242.jpg?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
    BTW Stabler is not a word! It's a last name!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Well it's on---

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Just recieved my new tire as listed above. Will install this winter

50 PSI is --------WAAAAY TOOOO MUCH.

Kaos
    The tire I brought in was happily mounted by the local dealer-----and delivered to me with 32 psi. Fine if it was mounted on a heavy car.

After getting home and letting the tire cool for 5 hours I readjusted to 26 psi. Origional POS tire was wearing THIN at 8k miles.

Kaos

PS: The tech rotated the tire on the rim so NO balancing weights were needed. It was a smooth ride home.
    Last edited by Lew L; 10-24-2016 at 10:44 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

The tire I brought in was happily mounted by the local dealer-----and delivered to me with 32 psi. Fine if it was mounted on a heavy car.

After getting home and letting the tire cool for 5 hours I readjusted to 26 psi. Origional POS tire was wearing THIN at 8k miles.

Kaos

PS: The tech rotated the tire on the rim so NO balancing weights were needed. It was a smooth ride home.
    Better ....but still 5 to 6 psi to much ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kaos

Glad to hear that you like it, and that you're getting the tire pressures figured out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up lower still

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Better ....but still 5 to 6 psi to much ....... Mike
    After bagging MORE pine needles---- I plan on checking the true cold pressure and lowering to 22PSI. Winter is about to hit here--- NEEDto get in a couple more rides.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After bagging MORE pine needles---- I plan on checking the true cold pressure and lowering to 22PSI. Winter is about to hit here--- NEED to get in a couple more rides.

Kaos
    In the interest of Science: of course!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Your spirited riding had little to do with that poor mileage Wacky, neither did the tire brand have anything to do with the hydro-planing you experienced!! You got that behaviour from the tire because even 32 psi is TOO HIGH for the load your Spyder & you put on it!! If you'd been running a lower pressure, the sidewalls wouldn't have been rock hard & the tread would've been flexing enough to 1). heat up enough to get 'a bit sticky' & give you traction that way; & 2). allow the tread to flex & conform over the irregularities in the road surface, causing the tread blocks to act like little fingers grabbing the road & give you traction while allowing the grooves & sipes to flex & act like little pumps to clear the water off the road surface under the tread blocks!! All up, lower pressures would've gone a long way towards totally negating those issues that you are blaming on the tire; when really, it was simply your pressure choice that forced the tire to behave like that!! A lower pressure of saaaay, 26-28 psi or so, maybe even lower if you aren't a big bloke, would've given you a whole different experience - that Kumho was almost certainly rated fairly highly for wet road driving, didn't you wonder why it wasn't working like that for you??

Most Kumho's are fairly competent tires, generally rated by the market & their peers as being a pretty good quality fairly capable tire with good to great wet road capabilities - sure, maybe they're not the greatest tires out there, but they are certainly not a bad tire & are rated up around 8 or higher in most aspects of use!! If your ride or handling or hydro-planing performance isn't markedly better than that of the crappy Kenda's the Spyder came on, then you need to look at what YOU are doing that may have caused this?! In your case Wacky, it was simply running a pressure that was somewhat too high - in the OP's case, it was a massively too high pressure!!!

Kumho publishes tech tables detailing what pressure their tires need to carry a given load - I must admit that I haven't searched them all, but out of those I have searched, I haven't seen any Kumho tire of the sizes we generally use on our Spyders that've needed more than about 26-28psi for the loads we are putting on them, & some of the larger sized harder compound touring tires only need about 16-18 psi to carry something like 800 odd lbs!! That's not necessarily a 'low' pressure either - those tires have strong sidewalls & fairly hard compound tread, so they don't need a heap of pressure to carry the load or to stop the bead slipping on the rim or being pinched by the rim - the relatively light weight on the tire just isn't enough to need any more air pressure in order to carry that light a load!! Putting more air than necessary in there WILL contribute significantly to hard ride, easy hydro-planing, and rapid wear in the centre of the tread!!! And it could also contribute to road damage or punctures just thru normal use when the rock hard tire hits some road debris or a pot hole - something hasta give, & it will often be the tire.... after all, the tire is there to hold only enough air in it to allow it to provide traction & to keep the metal bits off the road by absorbing some if the road shocks - if you pump it up too hard, the only way it can absorb road shocks is thru de-laminating the tread & plies & basically self destructing!!

51 psi is waaaaay too high in a Kumho under a Spyder, but so is 32 psi - unless you weigh in over about 400 lbs & the Spyder is heavily laden too!!
    You can debate pressure and load all you want. I won't disagree that load has a relation to pressure, but I disagree that it matters much on the Spyder as I've run them from 28 to 32 with the same results. My ten ply trailer tires? Yeah, pressure matters a lot in regard to load as does the pressure in the truck tires.

As for 32 being too high and that causing the hydroplaning I simply have to disagree. I've been running the toyo's now for more miles than the Kuhmo and even at 32 those toyos are the stickiest tires in the dry, wet, and standing water that I've had on the spyder.

The Kumho Ecsta AST is probably one of the worse tires you can put on a spyder if you ride much in the rain. For simply $20 more there are far better tires.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

I'll agree with you that the Kumho's are a poor tire for hydroplaning AT 28 PSI under a Spyder, but they certainly are not when they are run at 20-24psi!! (which is pretty much the tire manufacturers recommended pressure for the average load of a Spyder!) The Toyo's get away with running higher because they are have a stickier compound, but they lose out somewhat on longevity as well as even better traction - just imagine how good they'd be if you ran them at the tire manufacturers recommended pressure for the load instead of the recommendation for a lightweight sub-standard tire?! There are quite a few ryders out there now (some of whom commented!) who have learnt from their own experience as well as that of others that a Spyder simply doesn't place enough of a load on its tires to warrant that sort of pressure in a tire designed & capable of carrying more than twice the weight!!

Why would you pump them up to well over half of their maximum pressure when you are only carrying about a third of that weight? Especially when the tire industry & the majority of users will tell you that running pressures too high is a recipe for hydro-planing et al?!? But I guess that if you want to do something that thoughtless and complain about it, you are probably the only one who's losing from you doing so, so you just go right ahead!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-15-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE AND HYDROPLANING

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    You can debate pressure and load all you want. I won't disagree that load has a relation to pressure, but I disagree that it matters much on the Spyder as I've run them from 28 to 32 with the same results. My ten ply trailer tires? Yeah, pressure matters a lot in regard to load as does the pressure in the truck tires.

As for 32 being too high and that causing the hydroplaning I simply have to disagree. I've been running the toyo's now for more miles than the Kuhmo and even at 32 those toyos are the stickiest tires in the dry, wet, and standing water that I've had on the spyder.

The Kumho Ecsta AST is probably one of the worse tires you can put on a spyder if you ride much in the rain. For simply $20 more there are far better tires.
    Dan, Peter is correct about lowering your tire pressures to achieve maximum tire adhesion .... especially in the WET ...... I'm not guessing on this, I actually went to school and learned about it .................. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'll agree with you that the Kumho's are a poor tire for hydroplaning AT 28 PSI under a Spyder, but they certainly are not when they are run at 20-24psi!! (which is pretty much the tire manufacturers recommended pressure for the average load of a Spyder!) The Toyo's get away with running higher because they are have a stickier compound, but they lose out somewhat on longevity as well as even better traction - just imagine how good they'd be if you ran them at the tire manufacturers recommended pressure for the load instead of the recommendation for a lightweight sub-standard tire?! There are quite a few ryders out there now (some of whom commented!) who have learnt from their own experience as well as that of others that a Spyder simply doesn't place enough of a load on its tires to warrant that sort of pressure in a tire designed & capable of carrying more than twice the weight!!

Why would you pump them up to well over half of their maximum pressure when you are only carrying about a third of that weight? Especially when the tire industry & the majority of users will tell you that running pressures too high is a recipe for hydro-planing et al?!? But I guess that if you want to do something that thoughtless and complain about it, you are probably the only one who's losing from you doing so, so you just go right ahead!
    Where is the matrix for the Ecsta AST? Been to Kumho's site and they do not list load weights/PSI, yet you say they recommend 20-24psi. Going by the vehicle manufacturer recommendation and you have 28-30 in the manual. **may vary with year?
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE AND HYDROPLANING

Dan you need to re-read Peter's post ....... He didn't say what you think He said ............. Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Like many of you once were, I am a fairly new "Spyder" rider but have owned many two wheelers. Question: how many of you have run the Arachnid new tires? Their web-site claims to have a different design on them and I am looking at replacement of my rear factory (Kenda) tire at 6,600 miles run religiously at 28 psi.

Thanks,
    Eddie

Spyder Garage

Default ARACHNID

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Rambler View Post
    Like many of you once were, I am a fairly new "Spyder" rider but have owned many two wheelers. Question: how many of you have run the Arachnid new tires? Their web-site claims to have a different design on them and I am looking at replacement of my rear factory (Kenda) tire at 6,600 miles run religiously at 28 psi.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    I'll be straight with you on this ( and blunt ) they made their tire using the Kenda as the model ..... the Kenda is crap , so what do you think they have produced ????? ..... lots of people here have tried them and were not happy...... there are so many less expensive CAR tires available, that are soooooooooooo much better ...to me it's a no brainer ....... Just so you know..... on the sidewall of both the Arachnid and Kenda it says " For Special Motorcycle Use Only " ...... you might think this is a Quality recommendation ....it isn't ....it's actually a WARNING to not put it on even the smallest/lightest car made because it will FAIL soon after you do ..... No BS .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rather than blast vee Rubber, because they took a look at what Kenda did; I'd rather say that you could give them a try, and see if they're any better. They have addressed short tread-life concerns with their compounds...
    Just because they'd fail if you overload them by putting a car on top of them ; doesn't make them a bad tire. Every tire has it's limits****, and "excess capacity", is now a thing of the past.

Would I try them? Probably not: I've found an alternative that I'm pretty happy with, and see no reason to change.

**** We insured a Motorhome for a fella, who had a brand new front tire let go; destroying an awful lot of bodywork! It turned out that the shop that replaced the tire had only used an 8-ply replacement: 12-ply were specified!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-18-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am one of those that used the V rubber tire and found they wear differently than the stock tire. They are a bit stiffer tire. I removed mine around 8K miles and figure I could have gotten another maybe 4 to 6 K more miles on them..I still have the tire just in case my car tire I am running didn't pan out.

I really had no complaints of the V rubber tire. But they do wear more on the outside than the middle. I was running 30 PSI. Probably could have ran lower PSI to see the wear pattern change if any ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides the Yokohama S-Drive: does anybody else have any suggestions for the 205/55-15 size tires?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I am one of those that used the V rubber tire and found they wear differently than the stock tire. They are a bit stiffer tire. I removed mine around 8K miles and figure I could have gotten another maybe 4 to 6 K more miles on them..I still have the tire just in case my car tire I am running didn't pan out.

I really had no complaints of the V rubber tire. But they do wear more on the outside than the middle. I was running 30 PSI. Probably could have ran lower PSI to see the wear pattern change if any ??
    I put a Vee Rubber Arachnid Touring tire on mine last summer. I have found that the tire has two issues that I don't like plus, when my dealer has asked them about solutions to the problems they were almost completely unresponsive. My next tire will not be a Vee Rubber product mostly because of their conduct.

The issues were:
    1. The tire required about 31 lbs of air in order to
    keep the wear uniform across the tread.
    2. the tread is wearing more on the left edge of the tire. It is visibly noticeable at about 1500 miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you've got one side wearing out: I'd be suspicious about the alignment of that front end...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you've got one side wearing out: I'd be suspicious about the alignment of that front end...
    Alignment will not cause a three wheeled vehicle to wear one side. It will always go straight. It may not be on center but it will go straight. (Per BRP's test by belt alignment, it is perfect)
    Last edited by rcturner; 01-01-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    Alignment will not cause a three wheeled vehicle to wear one side. It will always go straight. It may not be on center but it will go straight. (Per BRP's test by belt alignment, it is perfect)
    No I believe its the way the tire was made as I took before and after pictures and found one side with what seemed to be less rubber than the other side. I was comparing it to the wear bars. JMO

Either way tire was ok but may or may not buy anytime soon..

Spyder Garage

Besides the Yokohama S-Drive: does anybody else have any suggestions for the 205/55-15 size tires?
    Your rear tire is a 205/55 15? Both of mine are 225/50-15. Been running a Kuhmo ECSTA AST 225/50R15 91H on the rear of my 13 ST-S for over two years. Wearing even at 28psi. Only one issue was slippery until I lit it up a few times. $80 at Discount Tire. Bought a second for my F3S. Didn't figure the Kenda would last long, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No; I'm also running a Kumho in the OEM sizing. I'm just exploring some options, and am curious about a pet theory, that I'd like to either confirm or debunk
    The reason that I'm looking for an alternative to the Yokohama, is that I'm just a little bit concerned about their wear rating.
    (The Ecsta's is 400, but the S-Drive is only 300... )
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-29-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default WEAR OUT MILEAGE

No; I'm also running a Kumho in the OEM sizing. I'm just exploring some options, and am curious about a pet theory, that I'd like to either confirm or debunk
    The reason that I'm looking for an alternative to the Yokohama, is that I'm just a little bit concerned about their wear rating.
    (The Ecsta's is 400, but the S-Drive is only 300... )
    The thing about the UTOQ is .....it only applies to the ONE manufacturers line of tires. It doesn't relate to some other manufactures line of tires...ie they all rate them differently....... What's actually been reported here by owner's is around 18,000 miles ................ my Michelin has 21,357 and I expect another 10,000 mi. ( but it sticks like GLUE wet or dry ) ..... which leads me to think that TREAD design might be a factor ........ Mike