Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Removing drain plugs and not over tightening when installing #101

Trying to figure out why so many here are stripping out (threads) plugs.

1. Turning the wrong direction when removing? Righty tighty- Lefty Loosey! (facing the plug--remember the plug is upside down)

2. Cross/threading when installing?

3. Over torquing when installing (I have never used a torque wrench to install) moderately tight and check for oil leaks after running) Torquing steel to an aluminum pan is a DS idea.

In my thirty years on the farm, working as a mechanic and aviation Mech (Technician for you young kids out there) and owning several hundred vehicles and toys in my lifetime I have never "stripped a plug" for the above reasons or any other reasons. ( I have made up several new swear words and thrown wrenches but never stripped a plug) IMO most are turning the plug the wrong direction (tightening to remove) and stripping the threads. More than a new plug here is needed to repair. Several different ways to do this.

Please for your next oil change lay on your back next to the ole spyder look up and decide right there if it is "lefty loosey" before you try that oversized wrench on the drain plug. Laying on your back, hand in the air, turn your fingers counter clock wise. That is how the plug is loosened.

On any plug always use a new crushed washer or O ring and one that is specified. Never reuse the
    washer or O ring that you removed regardless of how good it looks.

One mentionable here is the factory installs these plugs dry (no oil) at the factory. Oil is added after install. The above is even more important in the first oil change as it will be seated dry and may be more difficult to remove and thus damage the threads. Subsequent changes will be easier because you ARE NOT GOING TO OVER TIGHTEN ARE YOU? Small wrench and never more than moderate hand tightening.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 10-30-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sccar View Post
    Which ones do u need for the F3S. Gold plug has 3 listed for the F3S; MP-01, MP-02 & MP-18
    MP 01and MP 18on the gold plug for the f3! check with the seller to make sure!

Spyder Garage

I find this "don't use a torque wrench" idea interesting. I have a fairly calibrated arm, but I often use a torque wrench for critical fasteners.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Ok, I'm still confused. Could somebody list the 2 gold plugs part numbers to do an oil change. I have the dimple plugs in there now and I'm due for an oil change. Are they the MP-01 & MP-18 that is needed for the 1330 engine?
    YUP!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO if you are not comfortable enough tightening drain plugs without the use of a torque wrench, and/or are stripping oil drain plugs/plug holes, then you should really consider leaving the tools in the toolbox and letting someone else change the oil for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    IMHO if you are not comfortable enough tightening drain plugs without the use of a torque wrench, and/or are stripping oil drain plugs/plug holes, then you should really consider leaving the tools in the toolbox and letting someone else change the oil for you.
    How is anyone supposed to learn what the proper torque feels like without using a torque wrench? I certainly can assemble nearly anything without one, but why not use it if you have it, assuming it is properly calibrated and you know how to use it? I don't understand this dislike of torque wrenches?

Just so I can "prove" my competence, I took this from this:

To this:

To this:

100% by myself, without needing a torque wrench except engine assembly.

Want further "proof" of my competence, click on the link in my sigline.

Sorry if I seem a bit defensive.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PROOF ?????

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    How is anyone supposed to learn what the proper torque feels like without using a torque wrench? I certainly can assemble nearly anything without one, but why not use it if you have it, assuming it is properly calibrated and you know how to use it? I don't understand this dislike of torque wrenches?

To this:

To this:

.Sorry if I missed seeing any " Proof " ..................Drew, I trust your opinion ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can call it "Stupid", "Old-Fashioned", or just being cheap; but I just tighten them back up, with the same effort that it took to remove it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Of course not!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .Sorry if I missed seeing any " Proof " ..................Drew, I trust your opinion ......Mike
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You can call it "Stupid", "Old-Fashioned", or just being cheap; but I just tighten them back up, with the same effort that it took to remove it...
    I'm not calling it any of those things. I just don't see any harm in using them.

Then again, I don't tend to break or strip bolts, so there is that!
    Last edited by JimVonBaden; 10-31-2016 at 12:23 PM.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    And why not this one from a SL Vendor? http://store.valueaccessories.net/Ma...rainPlugs.aspx at a whopping $6.

CJ JAX
    Anybody used these?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS PRODUCT

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Anybody used these?
    It looks like a less expensive alternative - there were some problems reported with the LARGE MAGNET Dimple plugs - but these aren't those, so I would have no concerns in that area ......jmho..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks as if they're packing a lot less magnet; than the others...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To this:

To this:

Wasn't looking for proof, and honestly wasn't anything directed toward you specifically. Just a general statement. Sorry you got your panties in a bunch... If you've taken anything apart then you obviously know how silly it really is to feel the need to use a torque wrench on an oil drain plug. Especially, a steel plug threaded into aluminum. Next people will be asking for what torque specs to use on the body panel bolts. The specific torque on a drain plug with a crush washer or oring just isn't that critical.
    However, since you asked on how someone is supposed to get the feel. The way I was taught, and the way I taught my kids is to use mostly 1/4" drive starting out. Nearly impossible to gorilla tighten with 1/4".
    Anymore I only use a torque wrench when I have multiple bolts that need to be consistent like on a motor or trans. Other odds and ends too....but not a drain plug.

Which is why I made the statement that if someone isn't confident enough in their ability to tighten a drain plug without feeling the need to throw a torque wrench on there, then maybe they should leave the tools in the box
    Best of luck!

Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-31-2016 at 04:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wasn't looking for proof, and honestly wasn't anything directed toward you specifically. Just a general statement. Sorry you got your panties in a bunch... If you've taken anything apart then you obviously know how silly it really is to feel the need to use a torque wrench on an oil drain plug. Especially, a steel plug threaded into aluminum. Next people will be asking for what torque specs to use on the body panel bolts. The specific torque on a drain plug with a crush washer or oring just isn't that critical.
    However, since you asked on how someone is supposed to get the feel. The way I was taught, and the way I taught my kids is to use mostly 1/4" drive starting out. Nearly impossible to gorilla tighten with 1/4".
    Anymore I only use a torque wrench when I have multiple bolts that need to be consistent like on a motor or trans. Other odds and ends too....but not a drain plug.

Which is why I made the statement that if someone isn't confident enough in their ability to tighten a drain plug without feeling the need to throw a torque wrench on there, then maybe they should leave the tools in the box
    Best of luck!

I just threw in the proof because some here seem to need it to even listen to the new guy.

As for using a torque wrench, I still fail to see the harm in it, especially for someone starting out wrenching. I do believe that certain critical fasteners should be properly torqued. This includes wheels, brake components, etc. If you disagree that is fine, your call on your bike. I would not trust my bike to someone who looks down on others for wanting to be sure, and I sure would not belittle others who wish to use their torque wrenches on their bikes.

Oh, and body panel screws are usually 8-10Nm.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I've never felt the need to be accepted by any particular group, and have never been one to try and post up "proof" of any accomplishments. I have nothing to prove and have never cared what anyone thought or believed, especially on an internet forum. But hey, whatever works for you....👍

Last edited by DrewNJ; 10-31-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I've never felt the need to be accepted by any particular group, and have never been one to try and post up "proof" of any accomplishments. I honestly have never cared what anyone thought or believed, especially on an internet forum. But hey, whatever works for you....👍

Cool, then I am perfectly comfortable disagreeing with you!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Even though I don't have a 1330 engine, I wanted to thank SemperFi and Copperman for starting this thread and answering it quickly. I now know about Gold plugs, Dimple Plugs, and alternatives, but have decided I'd get the goldplugs myself and do this maintenance myself.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Anybody used these?
    4 of them. 2014 RTs, 2015 F3s and 2 2016 F3t. Magnet size is fine. Thinking about how many miles over a whole bunch of years without magnets I see it as more of insurance. You really want to know what is in the oil spend the $25 once a year for analysis. Learned that I was tossing out good oil on my HHR. Over time increased the interval from 3500 miles between changes to 14K using Mobil 1 and Blackstone Labs said I could probably go another 3,000. Going from monthly to quarterly was enough savings for me.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool, then I am perfectly comfortable disagreeing with you!
    Glad your making yourself comfortable😎

Spyder Garage

I think the $6 magnets will work just fine for me. Just ordered 2 from Value.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    4 of them. 2014 RTs, 2015 F3s and 2 2016 F3t. Magnet size is fine. Thinking about how many miles over a whole bunch of years without magnets I see it as more of insurance. You really want to know what is in the oil spend the $25 once a year for analysis. Learned that I was tossing out good oil on my HHR. Over time increased the interval from 3500 miles between changes to 14K using Mobil 1 and Blackstone Labs said I could probably go another 3,000. Going from monthly to quarterly was enough savings for me.

CJ JAX
    CJ Jax, +1 on the Blackstone reports, I add the extra TBN reports and have routinely found I could extend my oil usage on different IC engines I've used. Not to mention the comfort I get when (knock wood) I've always got good reports back from them.
    Now I'm thinking about checking out the Valueparts plugs
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I think the $6 magnets will work just fine for me. Just ordered 2 from Value.
    They had photos on the site, but post up real photos if you will. I may order a pair just to have them. Cheap enough to toss in a drawer.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

Default Torque wrenches....

Here's the thing, they are generally over a foot long. so they already are like pry bars. they can be flexible scale or breaker type but regardless very easy on over shoot your desired torque. I have 4 and use them rarely but especially not on smaller nuts and bolts...if you do not have mechanical abilities it is wise to use them carefully... the rest of us can feel the torque pretty well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Here's the thing, they are generally over a foot long. so they already are like pry bars. they can be flexible scale or breaker type but regardless very easy on over shoot your desired torque. I have 4 and use them rarely but especially not on smaller nuts and bolts...if you do not have mechanical abilities it is wise to use them carefully... the rest of us can feel the torque pretty well...
    Please don't be offended by this, but if a torque wrench is too hard to use correctly, then any wrench is going to be a challenge!
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)