Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sccar View Post
    Which ones do u need for the F3S. Gold plug has 3 listed for the F3S; MP-01, MP-02 & MP-18
    If I'm reading things correctly... you need the 01, the 02, and the 18.
    BUT! Check that with someone who knows for sure...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-28-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yeh, Bob, JC's comment can be scary. I'll find out in the not too distant future with the Dimple crankcase plug I installed at my last oil change. Oh well!

I did notice on my OEM crankcase plug that the Torx splines are only about 4.24 mm deep while the bored hole is a shade over 8 mm deep. If the splines were deeper it might prevent some rounding. Mo betta still, be certain the Torx bit is straignt and fully seated.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Pi in 65 Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default pic of broken dimple plug

IMG_0056.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderryder53 View Post
    that was me, my dimple plug broke in half right at the magnet the very first time I put it in and it WAS NOT over torqued.
    I think some may be defective. VERY EXPENSIVE OIL CHANGE.
    Leon
    photo of dimple plug that broke off at magnet
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PHOTO

IMG_0056.jpg

photo of dimple plug that broke off at magnet
    .Thanks, but could you turn them so we can see the flat surface ( and take new Pics ) I think the size of the Magnet they used weakened the PLUG to much ....... I think the GOLD plug magnet is smaller ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It baffles me, why folks will spend $20,000 or so on a motorcycle, and then balk at the cost of an aftermarket accessory for it...
    What baffles me is why would a company who has to know about the plug problems keep charging as much as 20,000. _32,000 and not address the iissue and solve the problem that would probably not cost them a dollar more to solve.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...........JC, I have the GOLD brand and I've seen pics of the Magnet in the Dimple brand ...... It looks like the Dimple has a larger magnet and I think this is the problem .......the larger magnet causes them to drill a larger hole in the plug , thus making the walls thinner, thus the failure...................jmho.......Mike

This may very well be true. I have not seen a snapped off gold plug. What you say about a smaller magnet would make sense as it leaves more metal at the weakest point.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default pic of dimple plug

IMG_0059.jpg
    .Thanks, but could you turn them so we can see the flat surface ( and take new Pics ) I think the size of the Magnet they used weakened the PLUG to much ....... I think the GOLD plug magnet is smaller ......Mike
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn

Spyder Garage

Default BROKEN OIL PLUG

IMHO, the size magnet they used caused the threaded section to become so thin, it could not support even a small amount of TORQUE. It would be interesting to compare a GOLD PLUG .... it wouldn't have to be broken, just a PIC of the flat side ....... to compare the wall thickness ...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default GOLD VS DIMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by beefybudds View Post
    That is the exact same spot my dimple plug snapped. I purchased the gold plugs and purchased another set of dimple plugs to compare the 2. The gold plugs are a better quality in my opinion. I felt confident enough with them that I installed then in my Spyder. I sold my dimple plug.
    The broken half with the magnet of my dimple is still in my clutch cover that I had to have replaced at a cost of $1100.
    The owner of dimple "Richard" told me there was no way his plug would snap under correct torque but I thing he is wrong.
    Since you have BOTH close at hand ....is the magnet in the GOLD PLUG smaller then the DIMPLE ? ? ? ......Thanks ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Since you have BOTH close at hand ....is the magnet in the GOLD PLUG smaller then the DIMPLE ? ? ? ......Thanks ......Mike
    The magnet on the gold plug is smaller. The dimple plug that is breaking is the clutch cover plug. Not the one with the 2 o-rings.

Spyder Garage

Default BROKEN OIL PLUG

Quote Originally Posted by beefybudds View Post
    The magnet on the gold plug is smaller. The dimple plug that is breaking is the clutch cover plug. Not the one with the 2 o-rings.
    Thanks for looking and reporting back .......Doesn't matter which plug !!! ..... If the GOLD plug has a smaller Magnet , then the thread walls are thicker and less likely to break !!!!! ............... .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    On your F3, one plug is torx, the other is hex. What sort of tool were you using? You need a torx drive socket and ratchet, not a key. If the head striped out, the wrong tool was used or not fully inserted.

I do not recommend the dimple plugs. They are worse than the OEM in terms of failure. Having done MANY spyder oil changes, the OEM plugs are just fine if you use the right tools to remove and install them. Dimple refused to stand behind their defective product. Once you see a snapped off Dimple plug, its easy to see why they fail from the very thin wall under the o-ring. Bad product.
    I stand corrected.. I guess the other dimple plug with the o-rings is also failing.

Spyder Garage

IMG_0056.jpg
    Mike I used my caliper and here is what I got. outside dia.of threaded area 0.465, outside dia. of magnet 0.320 which means 0.145 is the diam. of both side of thread so 1/2 of that is 0.072.5 total for the outer thickness of the wall.
    also I noticed that the magnet is sticking out a lot more than the pic of a new one not sure if that was from trying to remove it or if it was like that when I got it.( I couldn`t move it when I tried ) I THOUGHT IT WAS STICKING OUT when I got but can`t be sure. (I will give dimple the benefit of the doubt and say it moved when it was removed)

IF SOMEONE GETS ONE THAT IS STICKING OUT LIKE IN THE PIC DON`T USE IT BECAUSE THERE IS A 0.128 " hollow gap between the magnet and plug.
    Leon
    Last edited by spyderryder53; 09-29-2016 at 08:23 AM.
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Plug

Just a question: Why are dimple bolts so expensive? Is Dimple a bolt manufactuer or just a jobber?

I made my own oil plugs with magnets and use magnets on the out side of the oil reserve. Prevention
    is cheap.

Good Luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that I might just leave the Dimples in the desk, and order some Gold Plugs...
    One thing that I DON'T want; is trouble!

Spyder Garage

Default WELL - MAYBE

I think that I might just leave the Dimples in the desk, and order some Gold Plugs...
    One thing that I DON'T want; is trouble!
    Bob, why people even use a Torque wrench on an OIL PLUG is beyond ..... The amount of OIL pressure isn't very much so wrench tight is plenty tight enough.....if you see a drop of OIL on the floor tighten it a bit more.......jmho...Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you actually think that the Missus would let me anywhere NEAR the bike with a torque wrench?
    She barely lets me check the tire pressures...
    I'd be worried about what the techs at my dealership would do...

Spyder Garage

Default TECHS

Do you actually think that the Missus would let me anywhere NEAR the bike with a torque wrench?
    She barely lets me check the tire pressures...
    I'd be worried about what the techs at my dealership would do...
    .....Now that's something I can understand ............ Due to this thread I think everyone has learned something very important ......Maybe even " DIMPLE " ..........The small difference in Magnet size and it's ability to attract metal particles ( which is infinitesimal ) appears to make a MAJOR difference in the over-all STRENGTH of the THREAD WALL ....... and not just mho .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I once opined to her, that it would be nice to change the Spyder's oil on my own...

It got ReAlLy ugly!

Look out.jpg

There's not a whole lot of things, that I wish I had never said... THAT; was one of them!

Spyder Garage

Default So far, so good..

As long as the "red wagon" is ready to go, parts don't fall off (blue threadlok is my friend), and I can show my wife that my time is cheaper than the shop time I get to practice my wrenchin!

And I can buy a few new tools along the way.. it's all good! (thanks to the hints and guidance from SL)
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I envy you...

Spyder Garage

I got the "gold plugs" today and put them in. They fit great, look great, and work well. I am so glad to have gotten them today, my Spyder sat for 3 days and I couldn't ride it. The plugs are so much easier to tighten and remove, they have a head on each. One is a 15mm and the other is a 17 mm. In about 9000 miles, I am sure they will be very easy to remove.

Spyder Garage

Default BUT STILL DO THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I got the "gold plugs" today and put them in. They fit great, look great, and work well. I am so glad to have gotten them today, my Spyder sat for 3 days and I couldn't ride it. The plugs are so much easier to tighten and remove, they have a head on each. One is a 15mm and the other is a 17 mm. In about 9000 miles, I am sure they will be very easy to remove.
    ........Even tho they have that great HEX head ..... when you put the socket on give it a decent rap with a hammer to break the varnish SEAL........Mike

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I once opined to her, that it would be nice to change the Spyder's oil on my own...

It got ReAlLy ugly!

Look out.jpg

There's not a whole lot of things, that I wish I had never said... THAT; was one of them!
    I guess I am lucky. When it comes to any of our vehicles, as long as I don't get us stranded, Pebbles don't care what I do to our machines.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic