Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default stripped oil plug

I have seen that other people have replaced the oil plugs on their bikes. I did the first oil change on mine today but, I had an oil plug strip on me. I had the correct "T" tool and it still stripped out. I did get it out and drained the oil. I do not want to put that one, or the other one back in there. I have looked and found another oil plug that others have used but $63.00. I will look and ask if anyone knows of any that do not cost that much.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I have seen that other people have replaced the oil plugs on their bikes. I did the first oil change on mine today but, I had an oil plug strip on me. I had the correct "T" tool and it still stripped out. I did get it out and drained the oil. I do not want to put that one, or the other one back in there. I have looked and found another oil plug that others have used but $63.00. I will look and ask if anyone knows of any that do not cost that much.
    Look at goldplug.com

Theirs are about $40.00 for the pair.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Done

Buy the Dimple or Gold plug, and be done with it. I'm not finding a quality alternative, and I do lots of oil changes. Go first class, Marine!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Smile Dimple or Gold plugs

I switched over on the first oil change. Honestly cant remember which one. When I did the next oil change ( dealer did the first, checked off and signed the owners manual) it was soooooo easy. No guessing weather it's a hesx or a torx, no stripped out bolt, easy torque setup.
    Stripped oil plugs cause::::::::

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL PLUG

Dear Mr. Semper Fi,...... in order to assist additional info would be most helpful !!!! ....Is the " T " tool referred to a TORX head tool ? ....Also what Spyder ( year and model ) are you working on ????. And the OIL PLUGS don't strip, they are made from steel .....it's the aluminum case that strips out !!! .... you have a bigger problem than think...........Also I don't think the expensive DIMPLE brand costs that much. ( the GOLD brand is even less ) .....So what brand costs $63.00 ...............We can help , if you help us .....Mike ...................PS, thank you for your service

Spyder Garage

I would get a gold plug.
    I had a dimple plug snap in 2 leaving half the plug in the clutch cover. It was a $1100 job to get replaced.
    There is also another forum member who had the same plug snap in the same spot.
    I did compare both dimple and gold plugs and the gold plug seems like a better quality product.
    Just a note that the dealer installed the dimple plug during first oil change.
    They claimed they did not over torqued the plug.
    Also the member who had the same problem happen also claimed he didn't over torqued the plug.
    Last edited by beefybudds; 09-26-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Dear Mr. Semper Fi,...... in order to assist additional info would be most helpful !!!! ....Is the " T " tool referred to a TORX head tool ? ....Also what Spyder ( year and model ) are you working on ????. And the OIL PLUGS don't strip, they are made from steel .....it's the aluminum case that strips out !!! .... you have a bigger problem than think...........Also I don't think the expensive DIMPLE brand costs that much. ( the GOLD brand is even less ) .....So what brand costs $63.00 ...............We can help , if you help us .....Mike ...................PS, thank you for your service
    Yes the "T" does mean torx tool. I have a 2015 F3-S and yes the head of the drain plug is stripped out. I looked at the dimple brand and found them to be $63.00. That is way to much. IMHO

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Gold Plugs MP-01 and MP-18 are a total of $40 without shipping. Go to goldplug.com

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Striped my T plug as well on 1st oil change. Spend the money and buy the Dimple set.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It baffles me, why folks will spend $20,000 or so on a motorcycle, and then balk at the cost of an aftermarket accessory for it...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default STRIPPED PLUGS

Yes the "T" does mean torx tool. I have a 2015 F3-S and yes the head of the drain plug is stripped out. I looked at the dimple brand and found them to be $63.00. That is way to much. IMHO
    OK now I know what your issue is, and the answer is the GOLD PLUGS , they have strong magnets and work just as well as the Dimple brand.................I only re-placed the large PLUG ( the Torx ) the small one ( HEX insert ) was never an issue when using a Ratchet .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default ACCESSORIES VS PROPERLY BUILT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It baffles me, why folks will spend $20,000 or so on a motorcycle, and then balk at the cost of an aftermarket accessory for it...
    I doubt anyone thinks of the DRAIN PLUGS ( Dimple or Gold brand ) as an accessory or Farkle or Mod .....jmho, Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I doubt anyone thinks of the DRAIN PLUGS ( Dimple or Gold brand ) as an accessory or Farkle or Mod .....jmho, Mike
    If it didn't come stock on the bike: it's got to be called something...
    While it's certainly not as "sexy" a piece, as is Lamont's By-pass pipe: it still will have value...
    I've got a set of "Dimples" here in my desk. I was supposed to have them installed with my oil change in August, but I completely forgot to take them up to the Dealership...

Spyder Garage

I just ordered a set of plugs, gold plugs, on EBay. They cost $43.00. That is better than the $63.00.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're a good choice!

Spyder Garage

the oil plugs that were $63.00 were the dimple plugs. I went to their website.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey, fellow Marine! Diego or Parris??? I did mine at PI in '74. Don't mind Mike, he is working on his social skills......right, Mike???

Spyder Garage

Default Gold plugs?

Which ones do u need for the F3S. Gold plug has 3 listed for the F3S; MP-01, MP-02 & MP-18
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Spyder Garage

Default SOCIAL SKILLS MY A**

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Hey, fellow Marine! Diego or Parris??? I did mine at PI in '74. Don't mind Mike, he is working on his social skills......right, Mike???
    Doc, if trying to get the OP to give a better explanation of what He's referring to rather than just me doing the SWAG thing is somehow NOT PROPER ....well just chalk that up to me a Cop for 37 years where you just weren't allowed to GUESS what someone said ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I did the PI in '83. Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Doc, if trying to get the OP to give a better explanation of what He's referring to rather than just me doing the SWAG thing is somehow NOT PROPER ....well just chalk that up to me a Cop for 37 years where you just weren't allowed to GUESS what someone said ........ Mike
    I got out of the Corps in '93 and worked in a Federal Penn for 22 years. I had to deal with all the crap you put in jail!!

Spyder Garage

Default yep dimple snapped in half

Quote Originally Posted by beefybudds View Post
    I would get a gold plug.
    I had a dimple plug snap in 2 leaving half the plug in the clutch cover. It was a $1100 job to get replaced.
    There is also another forum member who had the same plug snap in the same spot.
    I did compare both dimple and gold plugs and the gold plug seems like a better quality product.
    Just a note that the dealer installed the dimple plug during first oil change.
    They claimed they did not over torqued the plug.
    Also the member who had the same problem happen also claimed he didn't over torqued the plug.
    that was me, my dimple plug broke in half right at the magnet the very first time I put it in and it WAS NOT over torqued.
    I think some may be defective. VERY EXPENSIVE OIL CHANGE.
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

On your F3, one plug is torx, the other is hex. What sort of tool were you using? You need a torx drive socket and ratchet, not a key. If the head striped out, the wrong tool was used or not fully inserted.

I do not recommend the dimple plugs. They are worse than the OEM in terms of failure. Having done MANY spyder oil changes, the OEM plugs are just fine if you use the right tools to remove and install them. Dimple refused to stand behind their defective product. Once you see a snapped off Dimple plug, its easy to see why they fail from the very thin wall under the o-ring. Bad product.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default DIMPLE VS. GOLD PLUG

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    On your F3, one plug is torx, the other is hex. What sort of tool were you using? You need a torx drive socket and ratchet, not a key. If the head striped out, the wrong tool was used or not fully inserted.

I do not recommend the dimple plugs. They are worse than the OEM in terms of failure. Having done MANY spyder oil changes, the OEM plugs are just fine if you use the right tools to remove and install them. Dimple refused to stand behind their defective product. Once you see a snapped off Dimple plug, its easy to see why they fail from the very thin wall under the o-ring. Bad product.
    ...........JC, I have the GOLD brand and I've seen pics of the Magnet in the Dimple brand ...... It looks like the Dimple has a larger magnet and I think this is the problem .......the larger magnet causes them to drill a larger hole in the plug , thus making the walls thinner, thus the failure...................jmho.......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I almost wish that I hadn't seen this... Are the Gold Plugs any better?