Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Spyder Garage

I just think the evidence is in the reports of all the aftermarket plugs being faulty are the dimple plugs with no reports of the gold plugs being faulty.

Spyder Garage

Default stripped oil plug

Mine did the same, I just welded a nut to the bottom of the striped plug. Now I just use a ratchet and socket

Spyder Garage

One thing I discovered with my stock plugs (and yes I am going to admit here that even with 50 years of motorcycle experience behind me I can be lazy and stupid,both at the same time) when I had trouble removing a plug I had not inserted the torx all the way into the hole. Make sure the allen or torx is ALL the way in before you begin to pull. ALso if I set the ratchet to remove before I go upside down I don't make as many mistakes.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default what he said

Quote Originally Posted by beefybudds View Post
    I would get a gold plug.
    I had a dimple plug snap in 2 leaving half the plug in the clutch cover. It was a $1100 job to get replaced.
    There is also another forum member who had the same plug snap in the same spot.
    I did compare both dimple and gold plugs and the gold plug seems like a better quality product.
    Just a note that the dealer installed the dimple plug during first oil change.
    They claimed they did not over torqued the plug.
    Also the member who had the same problem happen also claimed he didn't over torqued the plug.

I`m the other guy that had a DIMPLE PLUG plug snap off 1st time I put it in hardly got it snug and bingo broke in half .
    it may be that some were defects don`t know for sure but I would go with the gold plugs
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

I keep a supply of OEM plugs on hand at the shop. If a bike comes in with one of these dimple plugs installed, I refuse to reinstall it. Far to much liability and a known failure point. We replace the factory plug at the owners expense and hand them the dimple plug. Have not had a bike come in with gold plugs installed yet but would give me pause.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Drain plugs

These 5.95 plugs from value accessories.net are for the 989 v twin not the 1330 ace motor

Spyder Garage

Red face Stripped oil drain plug

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I have seen that other people have replaced the oil plugs on their bikes. I did the first oil change on mine today but, I had an oil plug strip on me. I had the correct "T" tool and it still stripped out. I did get it out and drained the oil. I do not want to put that one, or the other one back in there. I have looked and found another oil plug that others have used but $63.00. I will look and ask if anyone knows of any that do not cost that much.
    I have always changed oil on my autos and motorcycles and never stripped a plug. Always use a reliable torque wrench, always use new drain plug gasket washer, (cheap insurance) and never ever more than 12 to 14 ft lbs torque. Never had a leak. Stripped drain plugs are caused by mechanics??? who don't use torque wrenches and believe the tighter the better end up with next oil change and stripped plugs and your stuck with a serious and expensive problem. My 2016 F3-T manual drain plug oil sump cover torque specifications "21 ft. lbs." Magnetic drain plug clutch cover "15 ft. lbs" Both over kill and dangerous. Think 12 - 14 ft. lbs.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How do you strip the threads of a plug with only 18# or 21# of torque?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How do you strip the threads of a plug with only 18# or 21# of torque?
    I , how does one "strip" the threads?? I changed mine over to Gold Plugs in fall due to the fact that the hex portion of the plug stripped out(oil plug, not trans. plug) while using new Torx bits and making sure it was seated properly. Real "peanut-buttery" in my opinion. I had to use an SAE oversize allen wrench and tap it into the hex portion to wedge it tight enough to hold and them un-thread it, luckily I got it out without too much verbiage and getting the neighbors too excited!!! Hopefully the G.P.'s will give me long service life, since I can use a socket on them. Mac

Spyder Garage

Gold plugs are the way to go.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    I have always changed oil on my autos and motorcycles and never stripped a plug. Always use a reliable torque wrench, always use new drain plug gasket washer, (cheap insurance) and never ever more than 12 to 14 ft lbs torque. Never had a leak. Stripped drain plugs are caused by mechanics??? who don't use torque wrenches and believe the tighter the better end up with next oil change and stripped plugs and your stuck with a serious and expensive problem. My 2016 F3-T manual drain plug oil sump cover torque specifications "21 ft. lbs." Magnetic drain plug clutch cover "15 ft. lbs" Both over kill and dangerous. Think 12 - 14 ft. lbs.
    I just completed the oil and filter change on both my 2014 RTs. The clutch drain plug on one took some effort to remove; obviously the dealer mechanic had applied too much torque at the previous oil change. But the hex wrench did not slip in the bolt socket. In fact it was a very tight fit. I don't understand how anyone can experience the problem described in this thread using the correct tools and torque on the OEM drain bolts.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just as a matter of interest has anyone considered using one of these in place of a drain plug

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default I wouldn't trust dimple plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I have seen that other people have replaced the oil plugs on their bikes. I did the first oil change on mine today but, I had an oil plug strip on me. I had the correct "T" tool and it still stripped out. I did get it out and drained the oil. I do not want to put that one, or the other one back in there. I have looked and found another oil plug that others have used but $63.00. I will look and ask if anyone knows of any that do not cost that much.
    I had dimple plugs and the clutch cover plug snapped in two on the first use. Its to thin around magnet . That was a $900 oil change. I put the original ones back in , just tap them to make sure they are in all the way and you won't strip it.
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Just as a matter of interest has anyone considered using one of these in place of a drain plug

If I'm looking at the correct illustration, I would not want to take the chance on knocking one of those off if I accidently drug the bottom of the frame/motor on something. I usually install skid plates (even on oil pans) of my off-road vehicles including dirt bikes, sand rails, etc. and have seen what happens when you bottom out or drag a pan on something hard. Mac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
    If I'm looking at the correct illustration, I would not want to take the chance on knocking one of those off if I accidently drug the bottom of the frame/motor on something. I usually install skid plates (even on oil pans) of my off-road vehicles including dirt bikes, sand rails, etc. and have seen what happens when you bottom out or drag a pan on something hard. Mac
    I don't know if you noticed but the member is in England. Not too much off-roading there probably! Loose cobblestones maybe...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post

They were discussed in this thread. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=fumoto. Clearance is the main concern.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    They were discussed in this thread. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=fumoto. Clearance is the main concern.
    Exactly the point I was making in my post and was not being too critical. Must not have any steep curbs/driveways/culverts?? Mac

Spyder Garage

Default Drain plugs

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Buy the Dimple or Gold plug, and be done with it. I'm not finding a quality alternative, and I do lots of oil changes. Go first class, Marine!
    Listen to Joe he knows what he's talking about😃

Spyder Garage

Default Re drain plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    The Gold Plugs MP-01 and MP-18 are a total of $40 without shipping. Go to goldplug.com
    Please confirm MP-01 and MP-18 are for 1330cc thanks

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drain Plug

NOT on My SPYDER!! USED this type of Drain plug on the Riding Mower ONLY. PS: I broke one off of my ATV.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue