Spyder Garage

Default Need help 2014 RT trailer harness

I installed a trailer module harness on my 2014 RT about a year ago and everything worked fine. Now my right turn signal will not work. The trailer is a homemade dog trailer. The problem is on the bike end. On the left side, with a volt meter, I have 12v dropping off to 1v as the signal cycles. On the right side I have 3v dropping g off to 1v as it cycles. Theses reading are at the 4 prong square connector at the bike. Anybody have any ideas?
    Last edited by Mtrprts; 09-26-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WIRING ISSUES

Start with the GROUND ...... lots of folks here have fixed their problems by making sure they had good continuous WIRED - GROUND from the trailer into / onto & thru the Spyder ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Start with the GROUND ...... lots of folks here have fixed their problems by making sure they had good continuous WIRED - GROUND from the trailer into / onto & thru the Spyder ..... good luck .... Mike
    I would think that would be a good place to start if the problem was in the trailer wiring, but I have traced it back to the bike harness. I just can't imagine how I would get these different readings out of the bike harness??

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

Spyder Garage

Default WIRING ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Mtrprts View Post
    I would think that would be a good place to start if the problem was in the trailer wiring, but I have traced it back to the bike harness. I just can't imagine how I would get these different readings out of the bike harness??
    Then the MODULE could be " FRIED " ......not un-common if the ground wasn't good through the system...... Some folks rely on the CONTACT GROUND between the BALL & the COUPLER, this appears to have caused problems to the BRP MODULE, at least this is what I have gathered from other POSTS on this forum........People who GROUND thru the PLUG CONNECTION don't seem to have this issue ....Mike

Spyder Garage

The voltage dropping sounds a lot like the symptoms I found when my module went out.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Mike, I'm afraid you are probably right on the module. I don't know what else it would be.
    I bought the module and hitch from a dealer in Florida, through eBay in December last year.
    I don't know if the warranty is worth pursuing. I can't seem to find just the wiring harness and module anywhere. The harness is always listed with the hitch. Any suggestions?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mike, I'm afraid you are probably right on the module. I don't know what else it would be.
    I bought the module and hitch from a dealer in Florida, through eBay in December last year.
    I don't know if the warranty is worth pursuing. I can't seem to find just the wiring harness and module anywhere. The harness is always listed with the hitch. Any suggestions?
    Cut the module out of the harness and splice in one from an auto parts store or a trailer parts place like etrailers.com.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default MODULE ??????

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Cut the module out of the harness and splice in one from an auto parts store or a trailer parts place like etrailers.com.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Question : If He is replacing the BRP " Module " wouldn't He have to get the type from " Value Accessories " ????.......... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Module part # 710003903

Spyder Garage

Question : If He is replacing the BRP " Module " wouldn't He have to get the type from " Value Accessories " ????.......... Mike
    Doesn't need to be that fancy. Here's a cheaper one without the fuse block http://wingstuff.com/products/26937-...?from_search=1. Just cut the connectors off and splice it in.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

If the isolation/converter is fried just replace it like IdahoMtnSpyder says. As long as you have some decent wiring skills. Lots of them available. The original is from Hopkins. But the brand does not matter. It needs to be powered for the isolation function. Sometimes called 3 to 2 converter or sometimes called 5 to 4 converter. I did a quick search of Amazon and found 2 that should work. Also at a well stocked autoparts or trailer store. Those may come with a lot of extra stuff you don't need.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56146-Wi...iler+converter

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48925...iler+converter

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys for all your help and part numbers. I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe help someone else down the road.

Spyder Garage

Default MODULE

Doesn't need to be that fancy. Here's a cheaper one without the fuse block http://wingstuff.com/products/26937-...?from_search=1. Just cut the connectors off and splice it in.
    ......OK, my situation is slightly different. Both my 2014 RT and my trailer have separate stop / turn / running lights and the Trailers are all LED....... Most of what I see ( Hopkins etc ) are for Trailers with combined LIGHTS ...... Do you have any suggestions...... Thanks .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Hopkins Converter

This is the same converter that BRP uses on my 2013, just splice in the BRP connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought mine threw show chrome....its a 5 wire ...not getting full 12v...sounds likes a bag relay in the isolating system

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

......OK, my situation is slightly different. Both my 2014 RT and my trailer have separate stop / turn / running lights and the Trailers are all LED....... Most of what I see ( Hopkins etc ) are for Trailers with combined LIGHTS ...... Do you have any suggestions...... Thanks .....Mike
    This one will do just what you need. https://rivcoproducts.com/gl18007-iu...er-wiring.html. If you search for Goldwing trailer isolator you may find a cheaper one. The one I use was for a Goldwing 1500 and used relays but it is no longer available.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default 5 to 5

This one will do just what you need. https://rivcoproducts.com/gl18007-iu...er-wiring.html. If you search for Goldwing trailer isolator you may find a cheaper one. The one I use was for a Goldwing 1500 and used relays but it is no longer available.
    .................................................. .................................................. ......Thanks, but i'd rather not be changing connectors if at all possible. I'm sure Hopkins makes one ......it just a matter of finding the right Number ....Mike

Spyder Garage

.................................................. .................................................. ......Thanks, but i'd rather not be changing connectors if at all possible. I'm sure Hopkins makes one ......it just a matter of finding the right Number ....Mike
    Maybe this will work for you. It's from a site sponsor. All plug and play except you need to find a ground and 12V power source. Also the trailer end is 5 bare wires and you need to install the connector that matches your trailer.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/Tr...sSpyderRT.aspx

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Update

I just wanted to give a quick update. I bought this hitch and wiring module from a can-am dealer on eBay. I called the dealer to inquire about warranty and they are gonna replace the module under warranty, no questions asked. BIG THANK YOU to Central Florida Powersports and to John who runs their Ebay sales department. IF you live in that part of the country, I would definitely recommend doing business with them.

Greg
    Last edited by Mtrprts; 10-02-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

I just wanted to give a quick update. I bought this hitch and wiring module from a can-am dealer on eBay. I called the dealer to inquire about warranty and they are gonna replace the module under warranty, no questions asked. BIG THANK YOU to Central Florida Powersports and to John who runs their Ebay sales department. IF you live in that part of the country, I would definitely recommend doing business with them.

Greg
    You're fortunate. I believe the BRP warranty is only 90 days on accessories sold over the counter & one year for dealer installed accessories.

2014 Copper RTS