Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Need help 2014 RT trailer harness

I installed a trailer module harness on my 2014 RT about a year ago and everything worked fine. Now my right turn signal will not work. The trailer is a homemade dog trailer. The problem is on the bike end. On the left side, with a volt meter, I have 12v dropping off to 1v as the signal cycles. On the right side I have 3v dropping g off to 1v as it cycles. Theses reading are at the 4 prong square connector at the bike. Anybody have any ideas?
    Last edited by Mtrprts; 09-26-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WIRING ISSUES

Start with the GROUND ...... lots of folks here have fixed their problems by making sure they had good continuous WIRED - GROUND from the trailer into / onto & thru the Spyder ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Start with the GROUND ...... lots of folks here have fixed their problems by making sure they had good continuous WIRED - GROUND from the trailer into / onto & thru the Spyder ..... good luck .... Mike
    I would think that would be a good place to start if the problem was in the trailer wiring, but I have traced it back to the bike harness. I just can't imagine how I would get these different readings out of the bike harness??

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard, Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WIRING ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Mtrprts View Post
    I would think that would be a good place to start if the problem was in the trailer wiring, but I have traced it back to the bike harness. I just can't imagine how I would get these different readings out of the bike harness??
    Then the MODULE could be " FRIED " ......not un-common if the ground wasn't good through the system...... Some folks rely on the CONTACT GROUND between the BALL & the COUPLER, this appears to have caused problems to the BRP MODULE, at least this is what I have gathered from other POSTS on this forum........People who GROUND thru the PLUG CONNECTION don't seem to have this issue ....Mike

Spyder Garage

The voltage dropping sounds a lot like the symptoms I found when my module went out.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Mike, I'm afraid you are probably right on the module. I don't know what else it would be.
    I bought the module and hitch from a dealer in Florida, through eBay in December last year.
    I don't know if the warranty is worth pursuing. I can't seem to find just the wiring harness and module anywhere. The harness is always listed with the hitch. Any suggestions?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought mine threw show chrome....its a 5 wire ...not getting full 12v...sounds likes a bag relay in the isolating system

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk