Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Post Spyder RS for a friend thoughts??

Hey guys,

About 2 years ago my friend had a really bad accident in Cambodia on his motor bike (FTR) he only cruised around town and was unlucky enough to get hit (T-boned) off of his bike. Dont get me wrong Cambodia is a dangerous place to ride or drive to be honest it's madness. Anyway by time we had got him back to England the muscles in the bottom of his right leg (calf) had not had blood for a long time and it was a dead muscle so he had to get knee below amputated. Anyway now he is back up on on his prosthetic leg but can not for obvious reasons ride anymore, but he loves ridding. We have been looking into getting him a Spyder RS after searching on Can-am Spyder RS classified ads sites we are not sure what to do. So this is why i am here to see what the trikes (spyder) is really like and what the customer thinks of them.

First off and most important are they safe for my friend to ride? he has enough movement in his foot to change gear but saying that i have also read that there is a 5-speed semi automatic option?
    What are they like to ride? do you feel safe and comfortable while having fun at the same time?
    Then there is the maintenance, what is the maintenance like on these Spyder's?
    And finally what should we look out for when going to view the Spyder?

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated

Example image below
    zaz.jpg

Thanks guys
    Last edited by Spyder3wheeler; 09-27-2016 at 02:26 AM. Reason: More information

Spyder Garage

Is he able to use his prosthetic leg to operate the brake, or is he going to get a hand brake installed? If his left leg is questionable I'd recommend the SE (semi-automatic) transmission. As for maintenance the newer 1330 motor is lower maintenance. As far as "safe" for him to ride, no one here can determine that, have him take a few demo rides. They are more like an ATV or snowmobile to ride than a motorcycle. Fun you bet, they don't handle like a 2 wheeler, but you do get a lot of the same visceral sensations. Good luck in your research.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    Is he able to use his prosthetic leg to operate the brake, or is he going to get a hand brake installed? If his left leg is questionable I'd recommend the SE (semi-automatic) transmission. As for maintenance the newer 1330 motor is lower maintenance. As far as "safe" for him to ride, no one here can determine that, have him take a few demo rides. They are more like an ATV or snowmobile to ride than a motorcycle. Fun you bet, they don't handle like a 2 wheeler, but you do get a lot of the same visceral sensations. Good luck in your research.
    But look here for the finer details: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/f...d-SpyderLovers fyi we have some full paraplegic riders on the SE models. Your friend may need to add a ISCI hand brake & there are some tips to get that right, if not there are also bigger brake peddle options. The newer 1330's offer loads of fun, the like list will keep growing as you look dont just jump on the first deal you cross dont let it slip away either Good luck with your search
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder3wheeler View Post
    Hey guys,

About 2 years ago my friend had a really bad accident in Cambodia on his motor bike (FTR) he only cruised around town and was unlucky enough to get hit (T-boned) off of his bike. Dont get me wrong Cambodia is a dangerous place to ride or drive to be honest it's madness. Anyway by time we had got him back to England the muscles in the bottom of his right leg (calf) had not had blood for a long time and it was a dead muscle so he had to get knee below amputated. Anyway now he is back up on on his prosthetic leg but can not for obvious reasons ride anymore, but he loves ridding. We have been looking into getting him a Spyder RS after searching on Can-am Spyder RS classified ads sites we are not sure what to do. So this is why i am here to see what the trikes (spyder) is really like and what the customer thinks of them.

First off and most important are they safe for my friend to ride? he has enough movement in his foot to change gear but saying that i have also read that there is a 5-speed semi automatic option?
    What are they like to ride? do you feel safe and comfortable while having fun at the same time?
    Then there is the maintenance, what is the maintenance like on these Spyder's?
    And finally what should we look out for when going to view the Spyder?

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated

Example image below
    zaz.jpg

Thanks guys
    Right Leg
    As others have mentioned this is the brake side. Syders, unlike normal bikes, don't have a hand brake so you have the foot brake and nothing else. As others have mentioned you can fit an aftermarket kit to add a hand brake made by ISCI (a site sponsor). I did look into this but the cost importing one to NZ was stupidly expensive. In the end I make up my own following some notes on this site (see http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...062-Hand-Brake for details).

Left Leg
    Yes there is a semi-auto version of the Spyder. It's controlled by buttons on the left hand control, removes the need for a clutch and gear lever and you only press a button to change gears (I think you have to press to change up but it auto changes down, but could be the other way around, someone will tell us:-)). Seems to be a reliable system judging by the lack of complaints on this site.

Spyder Garage

Maintenance
    The RS is serviced every 7500km's, alternating between a basic oil and filter change and a more comprehensive service. However personally I do two minor services between each major at 5000km's each because the way I ride the oils ready for a change at that point. Servicing is actually pretty straightforward if you want to do it yourself.

What to look out for
    The RS's are pretty reliable machines so its probably just the normal on how well it's been looked after. If you find one that looks good ask for the VIN and get that checked by a dealer - they can give you a report on warranty/recall work has been done and if any service records have been logged. In the US and possibly Canada you can check the recall work online using the BRP site but that doesn't work in Europe, NZ etc.

With the RS from 2008 to 2012 there wasn't that much change, evolution not revelation. These ones had an earlier model of the 998cc engine which is the fastest Spyder but also the most rev happy and thirsty on fuel. I've got a 2011 and love it though I'm looking for a petrol station at 220km and panicking at 240 - that may also have something to do with the way I ride:-)

From 2013 to 2016 the general look remained very similar but it got a different version of the 998cc engine that dropped the optimum rev's, improved the fuel efficiently but lost a touch of speed. The exhaust system changed, there was new brembo brakes and the front suspension was improved.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 09-26-2016 at 04:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

What are the like to ride?
    It takes quite a bit of getting used to, a good 500km of riding, but I now prefer riding my RS to riding a motorbike. Cornering is more physical than a bikebut just a rewarding when you get it right. It has far greater road presence so the 'sorry I didn't see you' incidents are greatly reduced. the electronic nanny's give you piece of mind - I find riding in the rain is actually fun now rather than being a chore.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Sweeet these are all really good reply's guys i think the semi would be better for him being as there is not changing gears makes life easier. Also if he needs to emergency break i'm not sure if there is enough movement to push down hard so the break leaver will 100% have to be put in. i wanted it to be a surprise for him me and the boys where going to chip in and get him one but now i will take him out for a couple test drives see what he thinks.

Get back to you all soon

Thanks a lot guys

Spyder Garage

Service is very important it's not a simple machine if there's no dealers in Cambodia forget it . An SE5 or SE6 would do good for him and a hand brake. The 1300 cc engine is awesome
    Last edited by jtoro1; 09-26-2016 at 06:27 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

i will do some research into SE5 or SE6 see which is more suitable for him. I found that the Cambodian's (Khmer) are natural engineers they can fix pretty much anything but i'm sure they will have something similar...

Thanks again guys