Spyder Garage

Default if the cat is removed

Do I have to buy a power commander or anything for the engine? I have read that if you remove the cat, all you have to do is, let it run for about 10 minutes. This will allow the computer adjust to the removal of the cat. Is that true?

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is true!! I really doubt you'd need a power commander unless you also fit a Hi-flow air filter in a Kewl metal style housing without any extra ducting & install a significantly less-restrictive muffler at the same time; & even then it's probably a bit hit & miss as to needing a power commander or not!!

My 2013 RT V-twin retains the OE intake ducting (post heat recall work) but has a cat eliminator and still runs the OE final muffler (albeit somewhat modified internally!) without any issues at all, & certainly doesn't need a power commander; altho I do know of others who have installed the power commander. Not sure they actually needed it, but still?!

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I do not want to have to install a power commander on my F3. I just want to get rid of that cat and, put a 2 Brother exhaust on it or, run the stock exhaust without the cat.

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it....

You will be fine. These machine can adjust to the changes you mentioned.. although mine is an RS I have a bajarons high tension wires and iridium plugs, JT's air system with a K&N filter ram air with turbo fans and a Yoshimura R77 pipe with no fuel controller. She runs great....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How's she sound?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
    How's she sound?

I heard one recently. Yes it is louder. Rider also claimed more hp, and better mpg.. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    I have read that if you remove the cat, all you have to do is, let it run for about 10 minutes. This will allow the computer adjust to the removal of the cat. Is that true?
    It's true in the specific sense that this action only corrects for idle conditions. Fuel mapping, as well as fuel trim correction values (i.e. Long Term Fuel Trim), are stored in look-up tables, which consists of dozens of squares of values corresponding to combinations of RPM and engine load (throttle position). Picture an Excel Spreadsheet and you got the idea. So, idling for 10 minutes might dial in the long term fuel trim correction for idle, but doesn't do anything for highway conditions. Another Spyder Lovers Urban Legend. Just go out and run the thing at various operating conditions, to set the fuel trim values in the entire table, and in 100 miles you'll be all set.

Some folks have misinterpreted a section in the Akrapovic installation instructions as something related to this. Those instructions state that it's for muffler break-in. It's not for ECM adjustment.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 09-25-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I do not want to have to install a power commander on my F3. I just want to get rid of that cat and, put a 2 Brother exhaust on it or, run the stock exhaust without the cat.
    The sound is pretty sweet with the stock muffler with the cat delete...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Do I have to buy a power commander or anything for the engine? I have read that if you remove the cat, all you have to do is, let it run for about 10 minutes. This will allow the computer adjust to the removal of the cat. Is that true?
    Yes it's true. Let it run about 10 minutes turn off remove key and walk away.
    I haven't had a Cat on mine since purchased.
    I finally settled on a RT muffler because even the stock muffler is loud.

Spyder Garage

"if the cat is removed

"

The dog will reign supreme
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Am I talking through my hat?

I seem to remember reading here that the primary muffler is merely a muffler and
    there is actually no catalytic converter on any Spyder. Anyhooo....I've binned mine
    and fitted a Lamonster delete pipe with a Big City Thunder baffle and the stock tailpipe
    sounds great and runs beautifully.

Spyder Garage

Default Cat delete

How much louder is it?

Spyder Garage

I dunno about all of them, maybe here Down Under we get a different spec as far as this is concerned, but I've got 2 removed Cat Converters out in my shed & I'm pretty sure that both have a visible 'catalyst honeycomb', or at least something that looks very similar to catalyst honeycomb style material, just inside the intake end of the pipe on that 'primary muffler'..... cutting that out of one of the 'converters' a while back showed that the honeycomb section was virtually identical to the catalytic honeycomb I've found in every other cat converter I've ever opened (I've gutted a few), with the honeycomb being the full dia of that inlet section & maybe as much as 2-3" deep.... Read into that what you will, but it certainly looked like catalytic converter material to me, altho I didn't test it to see if it really was!!

Regardless of how much (if any?!?) catalytic material is in there, the whole 'primary muffler' thing is a bleeding heavy lump of metal (about 7 kilo's IIRC?) and the bulk of the housing internals seems to be devoted to containing a fairly heavy wad of metal tubing & baffles, making for a quite convoluted pretty heavy restriction in the exhaust flow; possibly in order to create higher temps in that initial honeycomb section (which is sorta what you'd expect from a catalytic converter & it certainly creates a 'hot spot' in the exhaust!!) Sooo, basically that means that even if nothing else, by removing it you are going to make an appreciable weight reduction in what your Spyder hasta lug around!! Add to that the heat reduction achieved by removing the convoluted heat generating lump of metal that it is & which just happens to be pretty much immediately underneath the fuel tank & between your feet, and I'm a happy chappy!! The fact that ripping it out & inserting the V-twin style 'Y' Cat Eliminator instead also gave the exhaust note a 'deeper & throatier growl' was simply a providential side benefit as far as I am concerned!

Spyder Garage

Default Running TBR S1R w/P1X Power TIP

I do not have a Power Commander and have had the S1R for about one month with the P1X tip without issues. It does give you some "pops" upon deceleration but I kind of like that. At first I thought it was too loud but the resonance outweighs that concern. I wear ear plugs anyway. I'm glad I made the switch, especially after I held the weight of the cat and OEM silencer. My only regret is my impatience and installing it with it's aluminum exterior. My F3 is magnesium and black. I called TBR before I installed and the person I spoke with said he had just come out of a meeting where they discussed a black S1R. I think that is coming. I had a quote of $65 from Bonehead Performance in Pennsylvania to blackout the silencer with a semi gloss black ceramic coating. Turn around was about 3 days. I was just a little too eager to put that thing on and didn't want to wait. But I think a semi gloss black ceramic coat would look a lot better. I may remove and send it up there if I am away from riding for a week or so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zummyannie View Post
    How much louder is it?
    What?!?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Took mine out stock muffler and CAT...must have been 15kg between them.
    Installed the Two Brothers system weighed a fraction of that.
    Let the bike idle for 15 mins, took it out for a run..all is settled in.
    I love the sound and have heard it when the dealer rode off for a test ride and it sounds no worse than a Ducati...happy with that!
    https://youtu.be/hi-xpyeqEiY

Spyder Garage

Default Cat delete

Installed a car delete pipe without changing the muffler and have two thousand miles on the install with no problems and the bike runs great without a power commander.

Spyder Garage

Default Cat delete

I replaced the cat with the cat delete pipe from Lamonster, along with the Big City Thunder baffle installed, running stock muffler bike runs great, awesome bottom end torque and midrange power, eliminated 17 lbs of useless metal, yes it's a little loud, but hell that's what they make ear plugs for.