Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

As I understand it, Rotella isn't sold as "approved" because they don't submit their oil for very expensive testing protocols to get that approval.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Just completed an oil and filter change on the poor, old, slow V-Max yesterday with the aforementioned Valvoline 10W-40 full synthetic motorcycle oil. purchased on line....

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I was just looking at Vavoline web page and it listed Pros and Cons for the 10w40 motorcycle oil. In the Cons side it said you could only run 600 miles per oil change. What in the world are they talking about.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leaping1 View Post
    I was just looking at Vavoline web page and it listed Pros and Cons for the 10w40 motorcycle oil. In the Cons side it said you could only run 600 miles per oil change. What in the world are they talking about.
    600 miles - ..... JMHO Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    600 miles - ..... JMHO Mike
    I agree with you, but look at their website.

Spyder Garage

Have you got a link to it?
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Just my luck. Now I can't find the link. But if you search Vavoline 10w40 motorcycle oil it's there, I just can't stumble across it again.

Spyder Garage

Just my luck. Now I can't find the link. But if you search Vavoline 10w40 motorcycle oil it's there, I just can't stumble across it again.
    I don't think you were on the Valvoline website. Maybe it was the Vavoline site.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Concur with BR although with BRP and L-M 5W40 I observed (via dashboard pressure gauge) the "knee" at 3K miles. Whereupon I changed oil.

The viscosity issue, at least for me, is not engine oil pressure (which is allowed to drop to 8.7psi at idle) but rather the HCM solenoids and multiplate pressure-engaged clutch. The HCM has its own oil pumps (scavenge, pressure) with two pressure circuits and the line pressure circuit operates at twice the maximum engine oil pressure. Although I'm sure the TCM has long-term trim to compensate for solenoid and clutch plate wear, my experience is my 95K miles transmission operates more smoothly and consistently with higher viscosity oil (in my case 15W-50). I have the parts to tap into the HCM oil pressure sensor (it's a standard 3-wire 5V transducer) but have been procrastinating.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Concur with BR although with BRP and L-M 5W40 I observed (via dashboard pressure gauge) the "knee" at 3K miles. Whereupon I changed oil.

The viscosity issue, at least for me, is not engine oil pressure (which is allowed to drop to 8.7psi at idle) but rather the HCM solenoids and multiplate pressure-engaged clutch. The HCM has its own oil pumps (scavenge, pressure) with two pressure circuits and the line pressure circuit operates at twice the maximum engine oil pressure. Although I'm sure the TCM has long-term trim to compensate for solenoid and clutch plate wear, my experience is my 95K miles transmission operates more smoothly and consistently with higher viscosity oil (in my case 15W-50). I have the parts to tap into the HCM oil pressure sensor (it's a standard 3-wire 5V transducer) but have been procrastinating.
    That would be an interesting gauge to have. Let us know if you actually do it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...