Thread: Oil Filter

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Filter

Back in Oct 2015 I changed the oil in our 2014 RT Limited at 19,000 and change miles. We now have 28,000 and change miles on it and I am about ready to do the oil change. Back in June of this year I bought replacement drain plugs from http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/canamspyder.php. They are hex heads, magnetic and use OEM o-rings. Advantages all the way around.

This site offers a K and P Engineering permanent oil filter and claims excellent features that I thought may be an improvement over paper filters. I bought one and it will be installed along with the replacement drain plugs.

On my previous oil change I sent a sample in for analysis (I posted a copy of the results here on the forum) and will send a sample from this change. I plan to send a third sample after the next oil change using the K and P filter to see what, if any, impacts this filter has on the results. I am using Amsoil.

Just wondering if anyone else has used the K and P oil filter and could report on their experience.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

but will wait to hear how it performs for you...always good to get reviews on products not seen here....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting oil filter. What about 35 microns, pretty fine. How about cleaning instructions to get all that microfine stuff out of it?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I was in the Navy, We used 25 micron filters on the Aircraft hydraulic systems and reused after a ultrasonic clean. To have 35 micron filter that will be excellent.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Hate to argue with you but 35 microns is a crappy filter. Compare it to a car oil filter on the Wix filter site, check the specs. These are the specs for a filter for a Dodge, you'll notice it has 21 micron rating. The lower the number the smaller the particle size that can pass through it.

Part Number: 51085
    UPC Number: 765809510852
    Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
    Service: Lube
    Type: Full Flow
    Media: Enhanced Cellulose
    Height: 3.836 (97)*
    Outer Diameter Top: 3.66 (93)*
    Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
    Thread Size: 3/4-16
    By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
    Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
    Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
    Burst Pressure-PSI: 340
    Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
    Nominal Micron Rating: 21

This is from the Amsoil site, good info.
    https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesb...ine%20Wear.pdf
    Last edited by Sam Mac; 09-23-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

I ran a K&P filter for over 100,000 miles in my last two Harley's and it was great. Since these are approved for use in aircraft you know they have been proven to work!

These are a constant micron filter unlike standard filters that use averaging for their rating (meaning higher and lower micron openings may average out to a lower number). The problem with that is that the larger micron openings will allow larger potential harmful material past.

Cleaning the filter is easy - although more time consuming. I washed it in soppy water and any material found in it would be removed with an old tooth brush (it can be scary what you find trapped) then rinse with clean water. I would then dry it with a blowgun on low pressure as it will not harm the ss mesh.

Thanks for posting this as that will be my next and last filter purchase for my RT!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also two other things to throw in the mix are flow vs. filtration and that filters don't filter 100% of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that this is gonna seem like a really stupid question: What's wrong with the ones that BRP sells? Do you think that they'd put a filter in the bikes, that would cost them a bunch in extra warranty work?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What's wrong with the ones that BRP sells?
    Absolutely nothing[emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I know that this is gonna seem like a really stupid question: What's wrong with the ones that BRP sells? Do you think that they'd put a filter in the bikes, that would cost them a bunch in extra warranty work?
    Bob,

Nothing wrong with the CanAm filter, and if you only change oil once a year you would have to keep your Spyder over 4 years to pay for the K&P.
    For me I change two to three times a year so it will not take long to start seeing a savings by switching.
    As an added bonus I stop adding to the land fill by switching to a reusable filter.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Amsoil and PER-FORM filters are the best IMHO. Actually made by the same company in Iowa. They are advertised as a 10 micron filter. When I sold Amsoil, I had the chance to speak with an Amsoil engineer. He said the filters are made to meet an 8 micron rating. You get what you pay for is true. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

These types of filters are well established and known to be safe and effective for filtration. The only real downside is cleaning must be done carefully, so as to not damage the stainless steel membrane.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    Back in Oct 2015 I changed the oil in our 2014 RT Limited at 19,000 and change miles. We now have 28,000 and change miles on it and I am about ready to do the oil change. Back in June of this year I bought replacement drain plugs from http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/canamspyder.php. They are hex heads, magnetic and use OEM o-rings. Advantages all the way around.

This site offers a K and P Engineering permanent oil filter and claims excellent features that I thought may be an improvement over paper filters. I bought one and it will be installed along with the replacement drain plugs.

On my previous oil change I sent a sample in for analysis (I posted a copy of the results here on the forum) and will send a sample from this change. I plan to send a third sample after the next oil change using the K and P filter to see what, if any, impacts this filter has on the results. I am using Amsoil.

Just wondering if anyone else has used the K and P oil filter and could report on their experience.

You going to do the 28k service when you do the oil change?

Spyder Garage

I have a good friend that used to work for Pall Corporation. They make some of the most high tech filters in the world. I had him take a look at the info on the K&P web site, his reply basically was that this is BS and your asking for trouble using one of these screens. If you want to use it, it's your engine so have at it. I wish you the best.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    You going to do the 28k service when you do the oil change?
    Boy, I about missed that. Looking at the maintenance tasks due at 28,000 miles, I may have the dealer do these for us.

Replace the Hydraulic Module (HCM) oil filter (ours is an SE6)
    Replace canister pre-filter
    Replace engine coolant
    Replace spark plugs
    Check front suspension arms rubber bushings

While none of these tasks appear to be daunting enough to definitely avoid, every now and then I like taking a break from the wrenches.

Will talk with service manager tomorrow and then decide.
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjweimer View Post
    Boy, I about missed that. Looking at the maintenance tasks due at 28,000 miles, I may have the dealer do these for us.

Replace the Hydraulic Module (HCM) oil filter (ours is an SE6)
    Replace canister pre-filter
    Replace engine coolant
    Replace spark plugs
    Check front suspension arms rubber bushings

While none of these tasks appear to be daunting enough to definitely avoid, every now and then I like taking a break from the wrenches.

Will talk with service manager tomorrow and then decide.
    On the anti-freeze it also has (or every 5 years). I checked mine and it was fine.
    The HCM filter wasn't too bad with the tupperwear off.
    The canister is a 2 minute job.
    Checking the A arms was also NBD.
    Replacing the plugs however, are a real bear. The air box splits around the steering arm and I was unable to figure a way to remove the right side airbox without pulling the frunk. Maybe someone else found a better way to do it.
    That part was time consuming.
    Good luck on the service.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE K & P FILTER

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    I have a good friend that used to work for Pall Corporation. They make some of the most high tech filters in the world. I had him take a look at the info on the K&P web site, his reply basically was that this is BS and your asking for trouble using one of these screens. If you want to use it, it's your engine so have at it. I wish you the best.
    Glad you brought this up ...... Also I think if anything happened oil re-lated and the Dealer saw that filter, your WARRANTY claim would go DOWN THE TUBES in a hurry..............Folks here go into a SWEAT about whether using 10/40 oil will void the warranty...... This filter should just give them an immediate STROKE .......................Mike